News   May 15, 2024
 547     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 782     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aura applied for their permits in July 08 and they still don't have them. 1BE applied for their permits in Sept. 08. Doesn't look good on the surface but I'm sure Bazis must have some idea that you can't rush the city.

Wasnt there some kind of backroom deal that Bazis and Aura negotiated with the City of Toronto and must honour before any permits are issued.Im just wondering if the city is not playing hardball untill these funds, properties or even promises are signed sealed and delivered.

I thought this was explained as a sort of quasi voluntary waiting period to give the city time to reopen that part of Bloor

They may have said that but the bottom line is, they don't have the necessary permits to start construction. They don't need access to the site from Bloor because they have built gates on Hayden and on Yonge.

hotel

hotel will be a ........sofitel..........95 % confirmed.....project will go ahead.......

thx for the info, jon silver, and welcome to the forum....

Yeah, I guess, the city has yet to give the ok to the development at this point. With regards to the shoring and excavation permit. - If the city doesn't grant Bazis this, im not to certain how much longer they will wait.

Bazis gave March 15th as the deadline for their feasibilty analysis. - If the city doesn't grant them a permit at that point, we are likely safe to assume it is not to "feasible" that a building will be constructed at this corner.
Sounds like pressure tactics from the developer. They do it all the time. Take it with a grain of salt.

Sofitel is the higher end brand of Novitel. Quoting a post of mine back in January:

I'd say this is a high possibility. Upon doing some domain name sleuthing, sofiteltoronto.com was registered back in June, about the same time Bazis was saying that a deal was being finalized. And the domain name registrant links to a "Sofitel Toronto" corp in Ottawa, with email links to a Sofitel/Novitel guy in France.

that was some pretty good detective work, 299.....

hotel will be a ........sofitel..........95 % confirmed.....project will go ahead.......

I think it's hilarious that when someone who makes their first post on UT states something along the lines that a project is canceled without a source people go to town on the person saying they have no credibility and should stop spreading unfounded rumours, yet when a statement like this is made by a first-time poster nobody is asking for a source. I've never said 1BE will or will not get built, and I couldn't care less what hotel is going in. I would love to see it go up, even in it's current design that I find a bit underwhelming. I welcome this news as a good sign as others do, but let's see a source along with such a statement (but along with 299s research, it does have some merit)

This Sofitel *rumor* I'll just call it that for now as it hasn't been officially confirmed has been around for a while and on a couple of different forms.

In other words it's nothing to get excited about as although the rumor has been around for a while (as mentioned above) it hasn't been confirmed in all that time which is surprising as you would expect them to make a public statement regarding it. So we still have some more waiting to do.

ps - this is the site:
http://sofiteltoronto.com/

Last edited:
I think there's enough evidence to confirm sofitel as the tenant. However, the lack of a public statement could indicate that not everything is roses with the overall development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back