News   Jul 16, 2024
 384     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 514     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 636     2 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told last week by a 1 Bloor East Sales rep that the name of a European Hotel chain that will lease the first floors of this skyscraper will be announce in mid-August:)

I'll start speculations with three names:

Swissotel
Sofitel
Kempinski (no locations in NA but prolific in European centres)

I just got in from a great long walk with my dog, it's a beautiful night out there!
So we walked by the 1BE sales office & there's nothing out of the ordinary posted on the doors. Not that I expected there to be, but I thought I'd check anyway.

Actually, it is true development companies relying on CIBC (and related companies) for financing have been given the cold shoulder--new management in place.... I fully expect some major announcements before October....

Otherwise, "it ain't over 'til it's over."

Re:
I was told last week by a 1 Bloor East Sales rep that the name of a European Hotel chain that will lease the first floors of this skyscraper will be announce in mid-August

Never, ever believe a word a sales rep tells you!

Re: Toronto101
The 1 Bloor East deal is not dead. It's the developer Bazis Int'l is trying to sell 1 Bloor East project to Menkes but this deal is not firmed yet and under negotiation.

Where did you hear this information?

Maybe 1 Blo Est's model maker would know some dirt on the project?
http://www.mbamodels.ca/work.htm

4% commission = 1.2 million... that's a pretty sweet sale.

no developer in their right mind would pay 4% commission when a half a percent to one percent is the norm.

actually, maestro, these days 4% is the norm.....sometimes 4.5%....

things have changed dramatically then in a short little while. I wonder why then top re-sale agents aren't flocking to pre-sale if they can get the same precentage for a much, much easier sale.

Slightly off topic, but I came across this picture when I did an address search in google. It shows the towers north of 1BE under construction.

I'd love to see this same photo taken when IBE is rising...

322749.jpg

photo credit: bob whalen

wow, that was such a fast and dramatic change for the intersection... I guess I wasnt aware that both towers were essentially built at the same time. Now we are about to experience a modern version of this with 1BE, BSN, Casa, Uptown and Crystal Blu all to be built within the next few years. We'll have to see how many cranes we can get in a single shot... 4 are already up, likely 2 more for 1BE.

The skeptical info posted isn't completely off base - while things appear look like they are running smoothly from the outside there have been a number of roadblocks and potential problems that may still lead to disappointing results. This project is not yet in the clear for the current developer.

^Mike, it's about the inability of Bazi's to get financing, correct?

Just look at www.autoblog.com for other financing news: in short, GM and Chrysler are no longer financing car purchases.

Imagine if lenders in Canada did that to financially insecure developers?!

If this tower gets built, I imagine it being whacked down to about 50 stories.

Should the guy who started the "rumour" be allowed back, in fairness?

The Grocery store is either going in the basement or on the top floor of retail. Rents are far too expensive for your modest Canadian grocery store to operate with a Bloor Mink Mile address.

That was also my first impression upon reading this. I could see a Sobey's Express or a Hasty Market maybe, but 40,000 square feet, at some of the highest rental rates in the country? I won't hold my breath waiting for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back