2.3K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

1 Bloor East (Bazis International) for Great Gulf see One Bloor - Real Estate -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valid point Asia. Venon is probably too strong. It's the completely oblivious raw-raw cheerleading and the bombastic proclamations and arrogance that leave a bitter and somewhere between skeptical and outright distrustful taste for this group. I have no dealings with them and no connection to them (I did meet someone who quoted a job for them and found them to be particularly amateurish and suspect- 3rd party heresay, I admit). Here they are now seemingly embarking on a giant undertaking the scope of which exceeds anything this city has ever seen. Yet no one (but me it appears) questions their capabilities and track record. The information contained on their company homepage does nothing to dispel the notion that they are not a bona fide development company. It would be one thing if this were another Canderel project, but these guys have no visible imprint anywhere in the Western Hemisphere and we are being asked to believe that they are capable of construction an absolutely monstrous building at a major location in Canada's most important city.

Paying students to line up does nothing but incite my rancor for this project. Indeed I have gotten enough email blasts from the likely suspects to realize how desperate they are to create a hype machine around this titanic.

I suppose each one has a valid opinion, if you don't feel comfortable with the builder, then don't buy. Simple as that. It is certainly within your right to question the credibility and viability of the project. But all companies need to start somewhere. If a company has an excellent reputation in other countries that is accepted, it is not up to their website to justify their existence. If one is inclined to purchase a condo, then I wouldn't let this "hype" thing dissuade you. There are projects that live up to the hype.

they are indeed paying what appear to be students to camp out on the pavement, was there last night and there were approximately 20 people huddled under umbrellas in the rain, quite sad really,with all the other construction going on in TO right now, is there any need to queue in November for a week just to see the sales centre of a project like this? It does beggar belief.

Pathetic. They try to fob themselves off as a developer for the high end of the market, and then resort to stunts like this. Really pathetic.

When I said 'they' I was referring to the brokers/buyers, but equally it could well be the developers as well !!

People queing is not the issue, Harrods have queues for their sale every year, its the principal of queing for something that is commonly available that amazes me, its not like these are absolute 'once in a lifetime' bargains(unless of course they are ?)

That's the point though, these units are not "commonly available". It's a unique location and building, or at least is so perceived by a large chunk of the market.

Don't be so naive O-Dub. You didn't see a line for the Burnak project 100 metres east did you? How about the building next to the Marriott? Any media interest there?

This is pure developer/broker sponsored hype.

Don't be so naive O-Dub. You didn't see a line for the Burnak project 100 metres east did you? How about the building next to the Marriott? Any media interest there?

This is pure developer/broker sponsored hype.

But that's the first rule of sales, isn't it? Manufacture some scarcity and demand, even if it isn't there?

wow, Bazis is really giving Trump a run for his money in the marketing and hype department! Curiously both of these big names are still just selling drawings on paper. It baffles me how rational people can get caught up in hyperbole and publicity stunts... its all an illusion people, open your eyes! Its sort of along the lines of a car commercial saying that they are the #1 selling brand... well they dont need any more sales then, why would I want to be part of the mainstream of unthinking sheep? I would rather give my money to a lesser known underdog selling a quality and affordable product.

Vultur, I tend to agree with your line of thinking and skepticism. Of course I hope we are both wrong in the end...

Further irony to all this supposedly '5-star' hype is the fact that Toronto/Ontario tourism is solidly in the dumps due to the soaring loon and many other fumbles committed by les incompetents on Queen Street.

Stinson, may his memory fade faster than an American Idol runner-up, succeeded in erecting the prototype for a condotel project and look how devastatingly horrible that turned out. While he clearly had many, many fatal character faults that doomed that project before a shovel hit the dirt, imo the ultimate failure of that building lies in the fact that Toronto cannot support higher-end hospitality product. My prediction is plenty of negative fallout for all the condotel projects across the City and many, many, irate buyers who fell prey to the marketing.

more basically, the very fact that projects have had to start going to mixed use with such regularity shows that for either amenity there is not enough demand to justify an entire building. This formula works to some degree for the first few who get products on the market, but as the market becomes saturated with product, the original lack of total buyers once again becomes evident.

Even though 1 King E is now several years old, they still have plenty of units available. Nobody can say that their location isnt a prime one... it should not lack prestige in any way. I have stayed there as a hotel guest myself... the rooms are well appointed, though somewhat small with unusual layouts. But if there are as many people in the condo market as we are lead to believe, there should be no reason that 1 King E. is still struggling for sales...

(p.s. - I just made all this up off the top of my head. I dont claim to be an expert!)

more basically, the very fact that projects have had to start going to mixed use with such regularity shows that for either amenity there is not enough demand to justify an entire building. This formula works to some degree for the first few who get products on the market, but as the market becomes saturated with product, the original lack of total buyers once again becomes evident.

Even though 1 King E is now several years old, they still have plenty of units available. Nobody can say that their location isnt a prime one... it should not lack prestige in any way. I have stayed there as a hotel guest myself... the rooms are well appointed, though somewhat small with unusual layouts. But if there are as many people in the condo market as we are lead to believe, there should be no reason that 1 King E. is still struggling for sales...

(p.s. - I just made all this up off the top of my head. I dont claim to be an expert!)

talking about locations, how would you rank these mix-use projects in terms of their locations? Ritz Carelton, Shangri-la, Trump Tower, Four Seasons, 1 bloor east, maple leaf square, hazelton.... what else did i miss??

disclosure: i'm probably biased towards the Shangri-la brand because i travel to Asia a lot and have stayed in several Shangri-la's, and i must say in terms of level of luxury and room comfortness, they are superior than Ritz Carleton or four seasons from the same region. However i often complained about the Services there, but maybe because the hotel staffs in China just aren't properly trained...

It is registered preview by appointment this week, not to public yet.
On Nov 24 (yesterday), from their sales board, from what the sales guy said, all other units are sold out.

They only have 30 + units left. Two or three under 60 floor, all others are from floor 61 to 79.

The North east corner Passion 1105 (830 sq ft) was Floor 61 - $840,900 and Floor 62 - $841,900
Today they have new price $843,900 for this unit on Floor 62. (up $2000 from yesterday)

The bigger one Dream 1940 (1560 sq ft) Nothe West corner unit floor 76 price was $2,199,900 yesterday and it is $2,299,900 today. (up $100,000 from yesterday)

Yes, it looks the prices increased $100,000 - $200,000 for small units since their pre inner sales (much more for bigger units and higher floor).

Not a chance that this project goes the distance. If it were Minto/Tridel/Canderel/Menkes/Great Gulf/Daniels/Conservatory/Monarch/Kolter (original land owner) I'd say that barring a severe market correction (such as the one that is in the making now imo) this building will stand one day. How is any rationale observer let alone an arm's length purchaser able to obtain any sense of comfort that these jokers are capable of developing such a truly monolithic building? Everything they've done to date demonstrates extreme inexperience, arrogance, and frankly disrespect for the Toronto community. Anyone can hire an architect and get a model built for a few grand. These guys have shown absolutely no ability to build and build on budget and on time. I can just imagine the Letters of Credit that the City will require them to post if by some fluke they make it to the excavation stage! I presume all here are familiar with Bay/Adelaide Stump. The legal fees that will inevitably flow from this slow motion train wreck will keep the bay street firms in business for years! It never ceases to amaze me how naive the general public can be towards such simple matters. With building after building coming on stream in the immediate and general vicinity and hundreds if not thousands of equal or superior located buildings and units available to purchase TODAY for comparably hundreds of dollars per square foot LESS why on earth would anyone incur the enormous speculative risks associated with a project as dubious as this one? Is it greed or stupidity or a little of both!

There's a sucker born every minute!

-P. T. Barnum

So basically it looks like two sets of sliding glass panels. In other words a balcony with a sliding panel. You'd think they would insulate it in order for it to become useable space even in the winter.

Anyone have a spare 800K lying around? I sure would love to live in this building!:p Lotto 649 or Super7, which one would I have a better shot at? ;)

Out of curiosity, why would you or anyone perceive this building to be superior to 18 Yorkville which is:

1. A superior location (true yorkville)
2. Existing and brand new
3. Valued at 50% or less of 1BE

I'd be curious to hear the arguments.

Investor, maybe we should all bet on this project! $1000 each: building is built vs unbuilt. Could be a nice little game to burn off the next 4 years!

btw, investor you kinda sound familiar.... Do you work for Aa?

To answer your 2 questions:

1. It's taller.
2. It's newer.
and 3. Yorkville is boring old money. Y+B and southwards shall be the pioneers of this world. You probably thought the Drake guy was nuts 4 years ago! Look@that area now! 10 years from now Yonge from Bloor to College could become $$$$$$ alley.

Out of curiosity, why would you or anyone perceive this building to be superior to 18 Yorkville which is:

1. A superior location (true yorkville)
2. Existing and brand new
3. Valued at 50% or less of 1BE

I'd be curious to hear the arguments.

4. Full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back