333     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 320     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 822     3 

1 Bloor East (Bazis International) for Great Gulf see One Bloor - Real Estate -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kolter is as "not Canadian" as Bazis. AFAIK, the family that spent 25 years consolidating the properties (without reinvesting a single dime) to build their dream landmark tower is still the owner of record which pisses me off. Fcukin' slumlords cashing out!

Maestro, I'm just trying to put rhyme and reason to all the vitrol being spewed in Bazis' direction. - By the time Kolter "Canadian or not" developed the Bloor street property we would already be in the retirement home or dead.

EDIT/BTW: When does Kolter intend to sell the property to Bazis???

Money(Bazis) + Money trying to make money (investors) = product (condo)

We have people trying to get richer and as a result we end up with an 80-story condo whose major architectural feature are sliding balcony screens.

mmm... great. I guess it makes our skyline look a bit cooler having something that tall away from the core. It'll look real nice in the distance to people at Taste of the Danforth.

To me, it's a crappy looking building for its size and magnitude of visibility. I'm not too happy about Bazis making millions and leaving a huge piece of crap at a prominent location. The only oooh's and aaah's it gets will be because it's tall, not because it looks good.

Mark my words. Cost over-runs and delays will cripple this project and the inexperienced Borat- I mean Bazis International will find themselves with specuvestors scrambling to cancel contracts by the time this albatross begins to take shape.

All I can say is let's hope the City of Toronto gets a mighty big letter of credit to clean up the mess!

Again, all of the foregoing in nothing but my 'speculative' opinion.

As far as why I bother posting here, good question without a definite answer. I see and invest in project all across North America and have always been comforted by the fact that the Toronto scene was characterized as a pinnacle of steady growth yet stability. Speculator driven media frenzies such as the kind that surround this project lead me to believe strongly the era of stability in Toronto is ending and that gives me a great deal of distress.

investor, your remarks are getting tedious with repetition....let's see how successful Bazis are getting the Crystal Blue project built, o.k.? It seems, that, at this point, things are moving along smoothly. - in spite of your allegations of their 'inexperience'...

Fair enough. I won't discuss it any further. I will end the topic with this question though- how many years behind schedule is that Crystal Blu project?

I didn't realize they were behind schedule. In fact they added more floors to it which tells me things must have have gone well.

By the time Kolter "Canadian or not" developed the Bloor street property we would already be in the retirement home or dead.

Moot point since Kolter pulled out of Toronto altogether divesting of all assets roughly two years ago.

They gotta build the foundation together

No they don't. I wouldn't say either that CrystalBlu is behind schedule eventhough Bazis definitely pulled a Harry Stinson constantly tinkering with the design. Heck, Same goes for One Ki..Bloor.

Yep...Can't say I'm that impressed by Bazis tactics and eventhough they got the sales, I'm not sure they will be able to pull this off without taking a page or two from "The Cheapening"

From what I've seen and heard, Crystal Blu is one of the faster developments to get from concept to development. There can always be naysayers saying that until it is built, nothing is a certainty. Then again, even if everything went 150% well with Crystal Blu, there will be some on the board saying it does not reflect 1 Bloor even though its predecessor will have been successful. Sometimes its never enough to satisfy, until 1 Bloor gets built on time with good quality, then the people who were so sure about themselves will suddenly be unavailable for commentary.

Mike, you seem like a reasonable guy. Why would anyone pay $800+/square ft. to own in this building when existing buildings in as good or better locations are selling for about $600/square ft. today. I sincerely doubt that living immediately adjacent to the city's premier gentlemen's club commands that much cache. Or furthermore that the $500,000+ buyers are motivated by the convergence of the city's two main subway lines.

Please illuminate me.

Investor, actually of units sold to date they are averaging over $900 psf. The purchasers to date have mostly been investors and despite your comments - the location and proximity to transit have been important reasons. Personally I believe the strong marketing campaign in combination with the hype that became almost silly created a buying frenzy among the agent community and over 85% of the 594 units have sold. The suite finishes are decent, but not really comparable with other luxury product such as 77 Charles.

Regarding other locations nearby, you should consider that Couture just opened in the last few weeks and has already sold over 50% of total units and you should also consider the macro economic conditions for condos in Toronto - the previous condo unit sales high was 16,224 in 2005, by the end of the third quarter this year that record had already been shattered and the final sales tally this year should be about 21,000 units. Therefore, while 1BE is certainly an anomaly it isn't like nearby projects haven't been selling well.

BTW: When does Kolter intend to sell the property to Bazis???

Caltrane, the property was sold to Bazis towards the end of last year for just under $63 million.

Mark my words. Cost over-runs and delays will cripple this project and the inexperienced Borat- I mean Bazis International will find themselves with specuvestors scrambling to cancel contracts by the time this albatross begins to take shape.

All I can say is let's hope the City of Toronto gets a mighty big letter of credit to clean up the mess!

Investor, the City of Toronto has nothing whatsoever to do with any of the above as you have suggested. Developers and builders do not provide letters of credit to municipalities. A developer/builder must register with the Tarion Warranty Corporation to have legal status in Ontario. Each unit sold is enrolled with the warranty corporation once a sale is finalized and a registration fee is provided to Tarion. In additional all condo projects must post security with Tarion for the project to go forward.

Secondly, Bazis is not the only entity involved in the project, it is my understanding that there are some local investors behind the scenes that are involved.

Lastly, Bazis will be utilizing local contractors to actually build the tower with the experience to build a quality (I mean structural as aesthetic is open to individual taste) product and that can provide solid cost estimates in advance. Given the high $psf that has exceeded even Bazis's expectations in the sales stage I wouldn't be too worried about cost over-runs resulting in the cancellation of the project.

Fair enough. I won't discuss it any further. I will end the topic with this question though- how many years behind schedule is that Crystal Blu project?

Where do you get your information from? Crystal Blu had a preview opening in mid-June 2006 and opened to the public shortly thereafter. They broke ground about 12 months after - which is very fast by any industry standard. The project has had fairly strong reaction from the public since the say it opened, there was a minor permit snag which set them back briefly, but that was cleared up and the excavation is being done in a joint-venture/cooperation with the Uptown by Pemberton. The project is proceeding and should not be too far off the original estimated occupancy dates (which are always off regardless of the builder).

Regarding other locations nearby, you should consider that Couture just opened in the last few weeks and has already sold over 50% of total units and you should also consider the macro economic conditions for condos in Toronto - the previous condo unit sales high was 16,224 in 2005, by the end of the third quarter this year that record had already been shattered and the final sales tally this year should be about 21,000 units. Therefore, while 1BE is certainly an anomaly it isn't like nearby projects haven't been selling well.

That is precisely the reason why I believe the market is in danger of a price correction. That giant leap in new condo sales in being sucked up not by end users who balance out a market but by rampant speculation. If stats showed that Toronto immigration and employment patterns were smashing records too I wouldn't voice these concerns but that is simply not the case.

bienvenido a Miami 2005.

Don't step in the Elephant crap

"When you see the parade, then you know the party is almost over."

There have been a number of variations on this old quote, but history never fails to repeat itself. It's about to again.

The lineup of anxious pigeons clutching their cheques and clawing their way in the front door for an opportunity to give someone, anyone, a lot of their money, made me think of this old line. Sadly its about to come true again.

The lights on this party are starting to flicker.

To the younger potential home buyers out there who are feeling that maybe they are missing this parade, I have some advise for you. You did miss it. But don't worry. It's heading over a cliff. Believe me, there will be some choice bargains to choose from in the aftermath within the next couple years. Bide your time. Save your money. Buy location. Above all buy value. Ignore the "It's the end of the world as we know it and this condo market will never recover again" clowns. In other words, learn the the differance between investing and speculating.

As to you "Investors" who bought in to 1 Bloor, I truly wish you the best of luck. I mean that. But ask yourself this. Did you do your due diligence on this? Did you weigh the upside potential against the downside risk, or did you buy in because everybody else was buying in and told you what a great deal this was??

I have invested in many opportunities over the years and happily I have done well. I've had some real bloopers though, particularly when I was younger. I learned from some expensive errors.

Personal opinion only: If I had money in this one, I would be sweating.

Urbandreamer...

You get a cookie.

I'm not going to lie to you folks, I really don't understand the bitterness and apparent strong feelings that surround the sales of this building. I mean, what someone, anyone, most likely people that will never come to this board, do with their money is irrelevant to me. Perhaps, as my Avatar once said to Gob, "You've ruined the act, Bazis." Or perhaps, as the DA once said about my avatar, "there aren't enough puppets our there like 1BE". Either way, the crazy sales story about this building is just another example of people spending money. Who am I to care about that or to speculate as to the authenticity of the builder's credentials, the buyers' smarts or the markets apparent doom?

I'm an urban geek who likes tall buildings. More so, I like them when they look good. This building is tall and I hope they build it, soon. I don't care if people lose or make money. As far as this building looking good... lets go back a few dozen pages and remind ourselves of that brilliant dialogue.

But alas, this is just my personal opinion only.

Poppajojo earns a cookie!

Investors make money.
But..
Sheep get fleesed.
Pigs get slauthered.
Pigeons get plucked.

..and who likes getting plucked...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back