Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I think last season, it was within a week or two that they started the renovations. Curios to see if they jump right into it given this terrible end to the season?

Also curious to see if people actually show up once they've raised the ticket prices...
I think we underestimate how strong support tends to be for the Jays when they're good. Jays were 8th in MLB in attendance this year, ahead of a lot of better performing teams playing in nicer stadiums. I think attendance will probably hold more or less as long as the team is going for it, then pull back when they have to go through a rebuilding period.

I think we underestimate how strong support tends to be for the Jays when they're good. Jays were 8th in MLB in attendance this year, ahead of a lot of better performing teams playing in nicer stadiums. I think attendance will probably hold more or less as long as the team is going for it, then pull back when they have to go through a rebuilding period.
yes, i think so too. there will be some large changes this year in coaching (i think). i think hype will return next year but i think everyone will be a little more guarded and reserved in saying the Jays are a World Series contender.

I went 5 jays games this year (2 at the dome). i 'm hoping to get out to the dome a few more times, ideally once a month next year. Jays performance aside, last years renos will bring people. this years renos will bring even more people. Lastly, that new pitch clock is winning over new (or previous) fans.

That was quick (earlier today)
PXL_20231008_183951203.jpg

PXL_20231008_183904981.jpg

PXL_20231008_184238281.jpg

PXL_20231008_184218922.jpg

Serious question. They are spending all this money on the inside, is there anyway to clean the concrete on the exterior? Guaranteed Rate Field is almost as old as SkyDome but they have done things to freshen it up on the outside. Even just pressure washing I am just wondering.

Concrete is just an ugly material. Meanwhile Yankee Stadium was built with limestone

NYYMLBP_0171_Esto.jpg

One other thing the stadium does well is create a sense of grandeur. I feel like the Rogers Centre doesn't really celebrate the actual players who have played for the team.

Yankee-Stadium-Great-Hall.jpg

Keep in mind though..

Yankee Stadium, Wrigley Field, Fenway Park.. they are known throughout the MLB for the history which took place there. Yes Yankee stadium was rebuilt but the fact remains it is one of the most famous names in Baseball.

The three stadiums I mentioned are like the Westminster Abbey, Notre Dame Cathedral and St Peters Basilica of the MLB.

Keep in mind though..

Yankee Stadium, Wrigley Field, Fenway Park.. they are known throughout the MLB for the history which took place there. Yes Yankee stadium was rebuilt but the fact remains it is one of the most famous names in Baseball.

The three stadiums I mentioned are like the Westminster Abbey, Notre Dame Cathedral and St Peters Basilica of the MLB.

I'm not sure that contradicts what I was saying, though, especially given that Yankee Stadium is a relatively new stadium (albeit one based on a classic stadium). I think the Blue Jays could do more to honour the team's past greats.

"Concrete is just an ugly material. Meanwhile Yankee Stadium was built with limestone"

100%, and it stains super easy. But doesn't mean it can't look clean. I also wonder with the passing of time if it even makes sense to do cladding to change it because maybe one day concrete will be in vogue again. Maybe...

I have often thought even back in the early 2000's while in high school if brick cladding similar to Distillery District and replacing the windows with new black framed tinted windows would have been an acceptable upgrade.

I'm not sure that contradicts what I was saying, though, especially given that Yankee Stadium is a relatively new stadium (albeit one based on a classic stadium). I think the Blue Jays could do more to honour the team's past greats.
I agree with both of you, they need to do more to showcase the history. Monuments around the property(no Ted Rogers statue), but Joe Carter jumping on the bag, Bautista bat flip, something for Beeston.

They could do the ramps over with murals with different themes.

This is our baseball home, it could be something worth celebrating even with its faults.

I feel like the Rogers Centre [sic] doesn't really celebrate the actual players who have played for the team.
First monument I'd build is to the guy who wanted the statue in the lake and got a visit from the police for his trouble. That man is my hero!

Do people like this park?
It's not terrible but yes for a long time it left a lot to be desired. The Government led its design and had to pursue multipurpose at the time.

That said, the renovations look very impressive and with the renos coming for the 100 the biggest issue will be addressed(slope and sightline). Concourses and nostalgia based areas are still an opportunity though as well as using the grounds surrounding the building for more than just slabs and walking space oh and cleanliness.

I do hope that it stays around because for me its an integral part of our skyline and has been since I was a year old and maybe one day it will be back in style and these renovations are proving that she has more life left in her.

Back