Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Forgive me for the long post ( if random ). For a long time, I've always been curious about the renovations as to my own ideas for the "what ifs" ( as I'm sure everyone as curious has their own taste for the "what ifs" ) regarding the Rogers Centre. As I've come up with random sketches and ideas of my own.

When I saw the T.E.C.II concept with the idea of opening up light using a transparent roof, it got me thinking.

So, I came across this video maybe 6 years ago which is a 3D rendering of a Retractable Roof for West Harbour Stadium.

The way it opens is very similar to how the roof is opened for the Rogers Centre.

As you can see in the comparison pictures below, the tracking ( forgive me for those who are in construction, I'm never familiar with the technical terms so bear with me ), is similar to how each stadium is opened.

tractionexample.jpg
example2.jpg

So then it got me thinking. With the talks and the thought of replacing the roof on the Rogers Centre, maybe this would be the best solution to "fix it". Seeing You don't have to worry about creative solutions to replace the retractable roof. Basically, a newer roof that can replaced on the same tracking that does the same thing. But at the same a way to bring in more light using a transparent roof.

This leads to my terrible renderings of the idea. As you can see the idea with the new roof I'm using from the video. But giving an idea with the roof closed. But the retractable part that opens up would become transparent. So there is light when closed. Also when opened, the exposed era in that big gap we all know would be a screen/window as T.E.C.II concept provided in his concept.

rcrclosed.jpg
rcropened.jpg

So hopefully that made any sense as to what I was explaining. I get that there would be a lot more questions and concerns going into this. The Engineering process to construction thought. To money cost, and more... I get it.

It's more of an idea to the "what ifs". Who knows if the Jays would even consider this moving forward lol?

Also, If anyone wants to re-create this in a better rendering please do. If anything I made a fool of myself on this idea and concepts lol. But the thought is there :)

If anything I made a fool of myself on this idea and concepts lol. But the thought is there :)

Not at all, I appreciate the effort!

If you're curious, here's the original light study that was done that I used for my photoshop: https://dailyhive.com/toronto/blue-jays-renovations-rogers-centre-roof

There have also been concerns over ice falling off of the CN Tower hitting the roof, and whether or not this would be made worse with glass, but obviously it depends on the material used.

This is partly why I like the light study design, as only the portion above the jumbotron is glass, so it would be much less expensive, and be less likely to be hit by falling ice.

rogers-centre-slideshow-1.jpg

"
There have also been concerns over ice falling off of the CN Tower hitting the roof, and whether or not this would be made worse with glass, but obviously it depends on the material used.

What about the same material that Minnesota uses for their NFL stadium?

"

What about the same material that Minnesota uses for their NFL stadium?

Maybe? I don't really know much about it, to be honest.

Here's another manip I did, this time creating another window (or the illusion of one...) in the side of the roof

IB27cgV.jpg

Of course, this doesn't take into account shadows, particularly of the Oxford towers. Still, if the dome sticks around, I hope this is the direction they some day move on to.

Even if they were to put on a new roof, they still missed a huge opportunity to create a area somewhere in the outfield stands, probably in the centre field stands to honour past players, instead of the cheap looking, let’s get a blue board, glue a blue jays name, and then glue it on the cement siding of the stands

Even if they were to put on a new roof, they still missed a huge opportunity to create a area somewhere in the outfield stands, probably in the centre field stands to honour past players, instead of the cheap looking, let’s get a blue board, glue a blue jays name, and then glue it on the cement siding of the stands

An interesting idea is, I wish they would put statues outside the stadium. Something similar to what the Leafs did.

At least give something outside to glance at or walk around ( like a museum ) to view. For visitors to recognize the historical facts and the identical facts of who the Blue Jays are.

Last edited:
Maybe? I don't really know much about it, to be honest.

Here's another manip I did, this time creating another window (or the illusion of one...) in the side of the roof

IB27cgV.jpg

Of course, this doesn't take into account shadows, particularly of the Oxford towers. Still, if the dome sticks around, I hope this is the direction they some day move on to.

That is absolutely beautiful. What a small subtle change can make an impact on the stadium. How much light that would bring? Also what a creative and subtle change to fill that huge gap in the roof too. Please consider this Rogers lol

Sorry for the double post.

Minnesota and Toronto basically have the same winters. Minnesota's old stadium had an incident where the roof collapsed due to much snow and pressure (I'm sure you've heard or know about it).

But to what we were talking about regarding a Glass roof, this YouTube video explains the process of the new material they are using and how the Vikings stadium deals with snow during Minnesota winters.

So hopefully the thought of Rogers would look into this material. If there were or are any future plans for a glass roof ( moving forward with a new stadium?) Knowing so far it's working for Vikings stadium. Because we all know Minnesota's winters are very familiar to Toronto's.

Maybe they can add a parachute nest over the roof to catch the falling ice? :D

Last edited:
An interesting idea is, I wish they would put statues outside the stadium. Something similar to what the Leafs did.

At least give something outside to glance at or walk around ( like a museum ) to view. For visitors to recognize the historical facts and the identical facts of who the Blue Jays are.

U can have both, this inside the stadium with a blueish tone
IMG_0050.jpeg

And this on the outside of the stadium, it could be just the players or great l moments of Blue Jays history like George Bell catching the final out fast get the blue jays in the playoffs for the first time
IMG_0051.jpeg

Reactions: PL1
I wonder what they're doing here? Anyone have any ideas?

Looks to be the home plate area? The 100 level seats used to be on two giant rails that allowed them to split open for football mode. Those seats are gone and the rail mechanism is likely being dug up as well.

Also those new seats would need footings to be dug. And the premium spaces behind the dugouts and home plate need to be built as well

U can have both, this inside the stadium with a blueish tone View attachment 515797

And this on the outside of the stadium, it could be just the players or great l moments of Blue Jays history like George Bell catching the final out fast get the blue jays in the playoffs for the first time
View attachment 515798

Both ideas are great. The special moments of statues of the players out side would be amazing. For those old and new embracing that historic moment. I think it would give Rogers a special feeling every time you visit the ballpark.

Back