News   Apr 30, 2024
 30     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

A recent thought regarding Cinesphere at Ontario Place.
Is it due for demolition?
If so, will someone please document the destruction of one of Toronto's most recognizable structures?
I believe it was the first IMAX theatre.

Really. So tell me your experience with the LCBO, other than walking in and buying something. No silence, considering I was the one who brought it up (and got jumped on by an obvious communist union government worker). Now, if you read that comment, and further comments, it was just adding information about my insight, that's all. If you don't have patience for that, then don't read my comments, or go away. I'm not interested in what you have little patience for, to be honest. I'm sure there's another forum for that.

Seriously, your comment about your experience working with 'such industries' didn't even mention the LCBO and came pages after the original discussion, but right after mattelderca's post about an engineering firm and an electrical firm, so the LCBO context of that comment wasn't clear to me at all. I apologize for missing the context of what you were referring to, but when there are large gaps between messages and no quotes or references it's not clear sometimes.

If you read my response a few messages down, you'll see that I previously expressed something in line with your view of the LCBO as a more or less communist entity. If nothing else, the 'obvious communist union government worker' (would look nice on a business card) is not the person typing these words.

Seriously, your comment about your experience working with 'such industries' didn't even mention the LCBO and came pages after the original discussion, but right after mattelderca's post about an engineering firm and an electrical firm, so the LCBO context of that comment wasn't clear to me at all. I apologize for missing the context of what you were referring to, but when there are large gaps between messages and no quotes or references it's not clear sometimes.

If you read my response a few messages down, you'll see that I previously expressed something in line with your view of the LCBO as a more or less communist entity. If nothing else, the 'obvious communist union government worker' (would look nice on a business card) is not the person typing these words.

Ok then. Sounds fair.

If so, will someone please document the destruction of one of Toronto's most recognizable structures?

(and I quoted)...while on a related topic in the sense that some things in Ontario make me sick, this is another situation. Ironically, it's related to the LCBO in the sense that the LCBO gives serious illegal "rights" to the large brewers, that they go for erasing the best part of Ontario Place (The Forum) and put in their own venue. THIS is why I think OP is where it is today.

As for the question, I think that depends on what is initiated there. It's a great venue, but I don't see people travelling there for the theatre alone.

Yay government! Another achievement! Maybe some Labatt's stuff at the Science Centre so we can close that as well.

Yet you remembered. I remembered. You have changed your problem. And linear threads don't necessarily come out of single proximity posts. Just my experience that context and username also help to refer to the direction of banter.

I remembered only because you finally mentioned the LCBO again, which prompted me to go back several pages!

My 'problem' has changed because I admit that I misconstrued a connection between your comment and the post before it. That is my error and mine alone, and having recognized it, my objection is now not to your position vis-à-vis the LCBO but to your expectation that people should keep tabs on your name and what you were talking about several pages back in order to grasp the context.

Context and username are useful, but if you're going to carry on a discussion sporadically over a dozen pages, it helps to quote and be specific sometimes.

"I'll agree to this much:"
QUOTE the lemur.

YOU AGREED TO NOTHING!

I gave both you and he an "OUT" that you have blatantly disregarded by your above comment.

Please see below as to "The Agreement" in whole, rather than your "interpritation". (Spelling is

meaningful in your case.) (LOL)

"So, let it be written that "We hereby agree to disagree."

Yes. Agreed.

Agreed.

At an other time & place?

Yes, agreed.

Your "carrying on, carrying on" is not required, not appreciated, and not liked by others using this forum.

MODS, PLEASE DELETE.

Reguards,
J T

-30-

"I'll agree to this much:"
QUOTE the lemur.

YOU AGREED TO NOTHING!

Your "carrying on, carrying on" is not required, not appreciated, and not liked by others using this forum.

MODS, PLEASE DELETE.

Reguards,
J T

-30-

I understand you enjoy playing the part of arbitrator from time to time, but I don't think 'agreeing to disagree' would have served any purpose here, and the ensuing discussion served to expose the misunderstanding on my part that arose from a matter of discussion-forum practice, namely, quoting or otherwise referring to the things and people at issue, rather than picking up on things at widely spaced intervals and expecting the context to be remembered. Do we walk in and out of a single conversation and expect the other person to assume we are still referring to the same thing as 5 minutes, an hour, three days ago without some kind of cue?

I would appreciate if it the exchange were not deleted, if only so that my misconstrual may serve as an example.

(and I quoted)...while on a related topic in the sense that some things in Ontario make me sick, this is another situation. Ironically, it's related to the LCBO in the sense that the LCBO gives serious illegal "rights" to the large brewers, that they go for erasing the best part of Ontario Place (The Forum) and put in their own venue. THIS is why I think OP is where it is today.

As for the question, I think that depends on what is initiated there. It's a great venue, but I don't see people travelling there for the theatre alone.

Yay government! Another achievement! Maybe some Labatt's stuff at the Science Centre so we can close that as well.

Are you saying that Molson is behind the current closure by virtue of some rights granted to it by the Ontario government through the LCBO? Was that what happened with the Forum being replaced by the Amphitheatre?

Also, it's not entirely clear what will happen to the Cinesphere.

Are you saying that Molson is behind the current closure by virtue of some rights granted to it by the Ontario government through the LCBO? Was that what happened with the Forum being replaced by the Amphitheatre?

Also, it's not entirely clear what will happen to the Cinesphere.

Exactly. There was no need to replace the Forum. In fact, the Forum was an overnight success, literally. They never planned to have people sitting on the grass. First venue, people started to sit there and patrons were told it wasn't for seating. But soon they realized that very first night that they had at least doubled their seating for free. Everybody loved the Forum at OP (namely the boating patrons that held berths).

OP was a very fun place at one time. An entertaining location that offered decompression from the Ex when it was heavy on Midway. Admission was free if you came from the Ex side, for some years. Fireworks were more often.

From what I heard, both M & B wanted the Ontario government out of the live entertainment circles.

Exactly. There was no need to replace the Forum. In fact, the Forum was an overnight success, literally. They never planned to have people sitting on the grass. First venue, people started to sit there and patrons were told it wasn't for seating. But soon they realized that very first night that they had at least doubled their seating for free. Everybody loved the Forum at OP (namely the boating patrons that held berths).

OP was a very fun place at one time. An entertaining location that offered decompression from the Ex when it was heavy on Midway. Admission was free if you came from the Ex side, for some years. Fireworks were more often.

From what I heard, both M & B wanted the Ontario government out of the live entertainment circles.

For heaven's sake can't you guys (or children?) try to control yourselves and remember that the title of the Thread is supposed to describe its content. The title of this wonderful thread is Thread: Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now Take your petty (non-photographic) arguments and go and play elsewhere, you are spoiling the best threasd in UT.

3 words North of Superior

That's certainly an odd one. I haven't found it on any older maps yet (just empty space between Bloem and Eversfield), which reminds me: has there been any discussion on the history of Rogers Rd?

'Forum' pictures here:

http://www.myontarioplace.com/en/historical_photo_gallery.html

Thank you gentlemen.

Interesting; it does not show on the City's listing of all Street Names nor does it show on the City's official web maps (such as http://map.toronto.ca/roadrestrictions/index.jsp ) ! Where does Google get its street name info?

Back