News   May 14, 2024
 856     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 466     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 521     0 

Nathan Phillips Square Homeless Issue

Note the complete lack of denial regarding havig a poisoned attitude.

Perhaps our braying jackass wants to go the Jim Flaherty route and have them all arrested.

Or, better yet, perhaps he should actually go and do something about it like volunteer or invite some into his home.

But no, that'll never happen: that would take far more guts and integrity than just kvetching on the internet.

Would you invite a homeless person into your home?

I dont understand why everytime that someone on UT doesn't agree or mentions, Homeless People, Panhandlers, Graffiti Artists, Community Housing, Shelters etc. etc. etc......Certain members here have to start trash-talking. Crazy shite:eek:

What do you expect? Many here think way too highly of themselves and their opinions are factual. Anyone who disagrees with them isn't valid in their minds.

Yay for building the homeless a nicer place to sleep and do drugs!
Can we move along now? Maybe make a new thread?

Oh poor little you. All you want to do is crap on the homeless unopposed, and now you're clearly thinking of yourself as a some kind of victim because decent people object to reading that kind of garbage. Don't me yak.

It really does take a special breed of loser to target the homeless and homelessness programs with the particular degree of contempt that you obviously have. So if you want to start a little web forum for homeless haters, go do it somewhere else.

And as for your sad attempt at tu quoque, I know for a fact that I'll never see you volunteering in a soup kitchen with me: poltroons never do.

I've as much right to be here as you. You want a web forum where everyone agrees with you unchallenged? Go to North Korea and start one there.

Great idea - Osgoode's Upper and Lower Barrister's Lounges would make lovely dorms wouldn't they? Convocation Hall, because it's much bigger, would be even better - and the high ceiling and stained glass windows would make it a charmingly romantic place to bed down with new friends. Why don't you suggest it to the Law Society?

If Osgoode's good enough for the homeless to eat in, surely it's good enough for the homeless to sleep in. Better for them to be indoors than on benches and in boxes in the square.

Yay for building the homeless a nicer place to sleep and do drugs!
Can we move along now? Maybe make a new thread?

The point is it's unseemly to be debating the finer points of the square's fab renewal while blithely ignoring/denying the misery unfolding therein on a nightly basis. The beautification scheme is wholly inappropriate given the circumstances. Bread not circuses.

Last edited:
"I've as much right to be here as you do. You want a web forum where everyone agrees with you unchallenged? Go to North Korea and start one there." Ha. Some of these guys are such totalitarianists. They only like people who share a similar point of view. They must be Morrissey fans.

Y'know, given my previous tiffs w/condovo re issues like the Eaton Centre railings, it kinda figures that he'd currently come out of the closet as a (re the St Lawrence Centre) union-bashing, (re NPS) homeless-bashing yuppie scumbag. All fits together, somehow...

Y'know, given my previous tiffs w/condovo re issues like the Eaton Centre railings, it kinda figures that he'd currently come out of the closet as a (re the St Lawrence Centre) union-bashing, (re NPS) homeless-bashing yuppie scumbag. All fits together, somehow...

Umm...is it acceptable to call someone a "scumbag" - let alone a "braying jackass" - on these boards? Moderators?

Last edited:
The point is it's unseemly to be debating the finer points of the square's fab renewal while blithely ignoring/denying the misery unfolding therein on a nightly basis. The beautification scheme is wholly inappropriate given the circumstances. Bread not circuses.

The square is supposed to be for everyone. The fact that the poor is using it should not be an interference to its revitalization. If we went by that criteria, Times Square should have been left to rot in the 80s.

Social programs are supposed to save those who can be saved, but for too many, it's far too late.

Umm...is it acceptable to call someone a "scumbag" - let alone a "braying jackass" - on these boards? Moderators?

Only if you vote Liberal, Green, or NDP. How Adma has survived on these boards for so long is ridiculous. It just demonstrates how narrow minded too many are on this forum.

The square is supposed to be for everyone. The fact that the poor is using it should not be an interference to its revitalization. If we went by that criteria, Times Square should have been left to rot in the 80s.

Social programs are supposed to save those who can be saved, but for too many, it's far too late.

The square is not meant for sleeping, in boxes, in tents, on benches, whatever. That is an abuse of public space and while that continues to occur on a nightly basis, attempts at beautification are ridiculous bordering on obscene.

Last edited:

If they're not mentally ill, then the only help they should receive should come from themselves. It's not the government's duty to provide people with shelter and food. If they are ill, then that's a different story.

Rich or poor, the square is not meant for sleeping, in boxes, in tents, on benches, whatever. That is an abuse of public space. While that continues to occur on a nightly basis, attempts at beautification are ridiculous bordering on obscene.

You're right.

I would argue that discussing homelessness in Nathan Phillips Square is germane to its revitalization. It calls into question how we define revitalization, which I think can be thought of as solely concerned with physical redesign, or perhaps the relation between phsycial design and how and by whom a space is used.

And as for the "homelessness not being an urban issue" thing, I was being facetious.

I hate to break it to you, but the revitalization as contemplated by this project and and the purpose of this thread has everything to do with physical redesign and nothing to do with the larger social issues as to how homeless is treated by government and society.

Last edited:

Back