News   Jun 07, 2024
 2K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.2K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.8K     3 

Nathan Phillips Square Homeless Issue

It is wonderful that there are programs such as LFH and institutions like Holy Trinity, not to mention the many unsung volunteers who operate them, to help with the problem of homelessness in our city. At the very least, recognizing their efforts and commending the positive impact they surely have would make you come off as more informed and less of a braying jackass.

Personal insults aside, I don't see these encircling charities as having a particularly positive impact on the square itself, which by night is thus transformed into a human disaster zone.

^^ Well, $14 million for 'Streets to Homes' multiplied by X-number of years (how many?) and the homeless are still in the square in droves. Doesn't seem very cost effective to me.

Are you suggesting doing absolutely nothing?

How about Osgoode Hall and Holy Trinity taking it a step further and allowing the homeless to eat and sleep with them. Maybe then the square won't be used as a human dumping ground anymore.

So people try in their own to help human beings who for whatever reason are homeless, and you suggest that they have sex with them?

I'm just more than a little curious about why you possess such a poisoned attitude?

Umm...before the "cost-effective" Streets to Homes program, the city was already spending $200 million a year on homelessness. Hardly nothing. The city was overrun with homelessness before "cost-effective." The city is overrun with homelessness after "cost-effective."

So people try in their own to help human beings who for whatever reason are homeless, and you suggest that they have sex with them?

I'm just more than a little curious about why you possess such a poisoned attitude?

Of course, by "sleep with them" I meant having the homeless sleep under Osgoode's and Holy Trinity's sanctified and sanctimonious roofs instead of out in the square on benches and in boxes. Stop sexualizing homelessness.

Last edited:

Note the complete lack of denial regarding havig a poisoned attitude.

Perhaps our braying jackass wants to go the Jim Flaherty route and have them all arrested.

Or, better yet, perhaps he should actually go and do something about it like volunteer or invite some into his home.

But no, that'll never happen: that would take far more guts and integrity than just kvetching on the internet.

How sensitive and socially conscious of you to insult those with whom you disagree.

As you have done, I'm sure. Didn't think so.

As you are doing now.

Oh poor little you. All you want to do is crap on the homeless unopposed, and now you're clearly thinking of yourself as a some kind of victim because decent people object to reading that kind of garbage. Don't me yak.

It really does take a special breed of loser to target the homeless and homelessness programs with the particular degree of contempt that you obviously have. So if you want to start a little web forum for homeless haters, go do it somewhere else.

And as for your sad attempt at tu quoque, I know for a fact that I'll never see you volunteering in a soup kitchen with me: poltroons never do.

I dont understand why everytime that someone on UT doesn't agree or mentions, Homeless People, Panhandlers, Graffiti Artists, Community Housing, Shelters etc. etc. etc......Certain members here have to start trash-talking. Crazy shite:eek:

I dont understand why everytime that someone on UT doesn't agree or mentions, Homeless People, Panhandlers, Graffiti Artists, Community Housing, Shelters etc. etc. etc......Certain members here have to start trash-talking. Crazy shite:eek:

I agree. When did this forum stop being a place where people could have mutually reaffirming conversations about really tall buildings? I mean this is a site about urban Toronto, right? What does homelessness have to do with that?

Homelessness, graffiti, community housing and such are all very real urban issues, and tall buildings are just a small sampling of what is discussed on UT.

Homelessness, graffiti, community housing and such are all very real urban issues, and tall buildings are just a small sampling of what is discussed on UT.

A debate about homelessness does not belong in this thread (I am not sure how anyone could have concluded that it was not an urban issue).

A debate about homelessness does not belong in this thread (I am not sure how anyone could have concluded that it was not an urban issue).

I would argue that discussing homelessness in Nathan Phillips Square is germane to its revitalization. It calls into question how we define revitalization, which I think can be thought of as solely concerned with physical redesign, or perhaps the relation between phsycial design and how and by whom a space is used.

And as for the "homelessness not being an urban issue" thing, I was being facetious.

^^ Wonderful. How about Osgoode Hall and Holy Trinity taking it a step further and allowing the homeless to eat and sleep with them.

Great idea - Osgoode's Upper and Lower Barrister's Lounges would make lovely dorms wouldn't they? Convocation Hall, because it's much bigger, would be even better - and the high ceiling and stained glass windows would make it a charmingly romantic place to bed down with new friends. Why don't you suggest it to the Law Society?

Back