News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 854     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 7.2K     7 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Jan 18 addition

Greetings and welcome, Mr. Mathew Borrett.

University and Armoury Street, NE corner. The armoury that used to be to the south is long gone.

ser381_s0381_fl0308_id12103-37.jpg

DSCF0124.jpg

University and Armoury Street, NE corner. The armoury that used to be to the south is long gone.

was the moss park armoury the replacement for the university ave one? in this paragraph it says that 7th toronto regiment moved to the moss park location in 1965 but i don't know if it was already there before they made the move.

The 7th Toronto Regiment RCA made its reappearance in 1965 when, as a result of the Suttie Commission the 29th Fd , 42nd Med and the 1st Loc Regts were transferred to the supplementary Order of Battle. 9th, 15th and 130th batteries from 29th Field Regiment were transferred to 7th Toronto Regiment, which moved into its present location in Moss Park Armoury following the demise of the University Avenue Armoury.

http://www.artillery.net/new/7rca.html

Last edited:
was the moss park armoury the replacement for the university ave one? in this paragraph it says that 7th toronto regiment moved to the moss park location in 1965 but i don't know if it was already there before they made the move.

http://www.artillery.net/new/7rca.html

smuncky, I don't know when the Moss Park armoury was built. The info you posted implies that it took over some of the University ave functions.

I do know that even an armoury isn't that permanent; they can be closed down and moved. Does anyone remember the one on Dufferin street north of the 401? With the Sherman army tank parked outside? They tore that down and built a new one on the Downsview lands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denison_Armoury

Well, I'd presume it was built in 1965--and yes, it's the replacement.

Don't know how much longer that synagogue on the north side of 375 Uni lasted...

Mustapha: I've enjoyed this thread greatly, and I'd thought I post a word of thanks for all of your effort.

This is truly a magical thread.

Most welcome, my pleasure. I'll saw a lady in half in a moment.

I do think it looked better with the sashed windows, much more visual interest than the current fixed glazing.

I'm only guessing but I wonder if central air conditioning killed sash windows or some kind of safety building code thing. They still have opening windows in low rise offices in Italy and the UK...

Last edited:
I don't know about a building code issue, which certainly may be the case over a certain height. Central a/c certainly help kill off sashed windows in a lot of buildings, as it would be nigh impossible to maintain a given temperature if you had windows open.

Edit: Also, fixed windows are cheaper.

Jan 19 additions

It wasn't that long ago that Kresges became KMart then disappeared into the ether of memory and dead businesses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmart

I'm not that old and my not-that-old-either 25 year old daughter and I were reminiscing about other 'old school' businesses - like the Woolworths that used to be at the NE corner of Lee and Queen E. As a toddler she would shop there for those stickers that had a strawberry smell. When the store was closed she squeaked as only a two year old can; 'Where am I going to get stickers now? :) As for me, I miss the all day breakfasts at the lunch counter...

Yonge and Carlton, SE corner.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0835.jpg

ser574_s0574_fl0021_id49409.jpg

DSCF0128.jpg

Yonge and Richmond, SW corner. And yet another demolished 'Roman Temple'.

ser381_s0381_fl0308_id12103-45.jpg

DSCF0132.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting how those betwixt-Moderne-and-Modern storefronts next to the Yonge + Richmond Kresge are still extant: true survivors...

What synagogue was that?

It's a mystery to me. I Googled 'Toronto University Avenue Synagogue' and came up with some vague references and this picture at a postcard sellers site.

Does anyone here have any family members they can show this post to that might know?

143502.jpg

Another view here.

view_of_toronto_skyline.jpg

If anyone is REALLY THAT interested in this synagogue, I have a 3 dimensional colour 'Viewmaster' slide - a view of University Avenue taken from the TOP of the synagogue - a closeup of one of the 'cupolas' figures promeniently in the view. Attend the next UT meeting and you can see it. :)

Last edited:

Back