News   May 22, 2024
 506     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 389     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 372     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

There are some on this board who have an opinion that there is nothing particularly horrific about this project. Their opinion differs from yours. For someone assume that "the city" failed - and to do so solely on the basis that he (AG) dislikes the building - presumes a special status for his opinion - more so when it is then coupled with unproven allegations of criminality as an explanantion.

There is big difference between an opinion about the form and function of a particular building and suggesting that it is a product of graft and heartless political manoeuvring.

I guess everybody should check with Hydrogen first before proffering an opinion here :rolleyes:

The city's hands were all over this, from the expropriating of land and launching of the design competition, to the management of the square and the lack of control over development that dragged on for over a decade. I don't know whether the decidedly disappointing results (at best mixed) are the result of political corruption, incompetence, inept leadership/stewardship or simple apathy but the question is legitimate and not to be haughtily dismissed.

I guess everybody should check with Hydrogen first before proffering an opinion here :rolleyes:

The city's hands were all over this, from the expropriating of land and launching of the design competition, to the management of the square and the lack of control over development that dragged on for over a decade. I don't know whether the decidedly disappointing results (at best mixed) are the result of political corruption, incompetence, inept leadership/stewardship or simple apathy but the question is legitimate and not to be haughtily dismissed.

I think there were good intentions on the part of the city for this project but I agree that it was mismanaged, poorly thought out and executed. The City desperately wanted to change the corner of Y&D so much so that they did not do it's due diligence in the design, planning & execution of this project.
Although, I pass by this corner often and I am quite surprised at the crowds and amount of tourists (even locals) taking pics. Maybe the city accomplished what it wanted.
Funny I overheard a tourist say "it's a mini wannabe Times Square"!

That's assuming this wasn't a private development. There's not much the city could do without opening a Pandora's box once the land was leased to Pen Equity and I highly doubt any commercial developer would of accepted conditional completion dates unless the city, itself, became a major leaseholder.

The city is guilty of not having its own funds to take on such a project and that's about it.

If the city exercises the power to expropriate property, as it did at the Yonge Dundas site, does it not also have the power to set expectations for the finished product? One private venture cannot simply request the expropriation of another private venture without there being a strong justification of clear pay-back or benefit to the public good.

The original renderings for the torch feature itself atop the project were kind of spectacular though, and the rest of the project looked like an interesting use of the site, including the bridge over the east end of Dundas Square. It must have wowed those at the City who had a hand about bringing about the redevelopment. Remember that when this was going through Yonge Street was looking hopeless, the building boom in the core was barely nascent, there was no architectural review panel of any kind, Pen Equity were the successful developers of plazas and big box supercentres and they were bringing their development magic downtown, and the promise that Toronto would soon be able to boast of having the world's first Olympic®™ mini-theme park meant that there were no brakes of any kind on this project: it all created a lot of optimism which made it all look to those involved that all was going to come about smashingly.

Who knew there was about to be a reign of error unleashed on two edges of Dundas Square?

An appropriate question to ask on New Year's Eve: Do you think CityTV will move its New Year's Eve bash from its traditional location at City Hall to Dundas Square after it moves into the Torch?

For those who think Dundas Square is the Times Square of Toronto, this might be the last piece of the puzzle.

^Good question.... Somebody else (i.e.CTV) will take over Nathan Philips Square if that were to happen. It does make perfect sense for City to use YDS which will be right at their footstep.

NYE 2009 might just be the last one for CityTV @ NPS.

Having an opinion concerning something like corruption does not mean that it is a fact. If you checked the quote to which I was responding to you would have noted that it was vacant and without substance. But you opt instead to let your politics get in the way. Be my guest.

As the underlined portion of your statement shows, lack of evidence still remains lack of evidence. Period. You might want to take up your argument with the developer.

Note interchange's comments above.

Here is it...

rogerstelevisioncity_rendering.jpg

Thanks Torontoist!

Can't say I'm too impressed to be honest.

What's happened with that ?!

Back