News   May 15, 2024
 322     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

I don't know anything about Simons, but if Adonis showed up downtown with one of their pita machines, I'd be there every day.

I wonder how much the rent for enough space for those pita machines would be in a downtown space. You'd probably have to sell an awful lot of pitas!

For those who don't know....

There is definitely enough business.

There are several Pita Pits, Ghazale's etc around Downtown plus it is quick and easy. It would need a large space though akin to MLG Loblaws or MLS Longo's.

I don't know anything about Simons, but if Adonis showed up downtown with one of their pita machines, I'd be there every day.

I wonder how much the rent for enough space for those pita machines would be in a downtown space. You'd probably have to sell an awful lot of pitas!

For those who don't know....

They could sell those Pitas; people come from a very long distance away to get them; they're damned good!

I told you all that more supermarkets were coming to DT.

A couple have been nixed, but this one was not.

The sales out of the College location have been gangbusters; they knew they were leaving money on the table.

This one is fortunately bigger than the College site, they're taking 31,000ft2.

This is only the second store in the chain to get the 'street food concept' for hot meals.

Chinese-style crepes, Taiwanese-style stuffed rice rolls and popcorn chicken among other things.

This spot was also chosen because the Gardens Loblaws, and College Park Metro both do huge numbers; so there was clear evidence there was some space in the market for more; TMU students are the number one target group here.

I know it’s pretty mum regarding Peter and Adelaide but are you able to confirm if a store is still going there? Or perhaps the basement of Metro Hall?

This area is literally starving for a full size grocery store and with 5 more towers being occupied by next year it’s only going to get worse.

I know it’s pretty mum regarding Peter and Adelaide but are you able to confirm if a store is still going there? Or perhaps the basement of Metro Hall?

This area is literally starving for a full size grocery store and with 5 more towers being occupied by next year it’s only going to get worse.

I haven't heard any updates lately, though I can ask for updates/permission to say something.

Perhaps @ProjectEnd could shed some light.

On the T&T thing, I have to tell you, T&T keeps turning good and better than expected numbers on new locations.

Loblaws is giving them a hard push.

They're the first Canadian supermarket to expand into the. U.S. in at least a generation, if not two.

What's particularly intriguing is the sheer size of the new U.S. store (Bellevue) it will be 76,000ft2

That's being driven by the number of Americans who were driving north to BC to shop at T&T.

Last edited:
I haven't heard any updates lately, though I can ask for updates/permission to say something.

Perhaps @ProjectEnd could shed some light.
Nothing to share at this point, but to date, no one has guessed the operator. We'll likely start seeing some fit out later this year, but it's entirely in their hands now.

T&T is coming to Panda Condo Development on the site of the former World's Biggest Bookstore.

Fantastic! I can just walk over from work and get weird ass chips!

On the T&T thing, I have to tell you, T&T keeps turning good and better than expected numbers on new locations.

Loblaws is giving them a hard push.

They're the first Canadian supermarket to expand into the. U.S. in at least a generation, if not two.

What's particularly intriguing is the sheer size of the new U.S. store (Bellevue) it will be 76,000ft2

That's being driven by the number of Americans were driving north to BC to shop at T&T.

If there is one thing about T&T it's that they are extremely picky with their locations. The demographics and catchment area has to be just right for them to plot down a store. This location is prime considering how many Asians live in the area and just to the north, but also their customers are probably one of the few that will drive from long distances to go to the store. There's not empirical evidence but I've always noticed that T&T's also tend to drive demand in residential units that are close by.

If there is one thing about T&T it's that they are extremely picky with their locations. The demographics and catchment area has to be just right for them to plot down a store. This location is prime considering how many Asians live in the area and just to the north, but also their customers are probably one of the few that will drive from long distances to go to the store.

Yes, but w/ the note that Loblaws has opened many new real estate doors for T&T that were not as readily available to them previously.

Nothing to share at this point, but to date, no one has guessed the operator. We'll likely start seeing some fit out later this year, but it's entirely in their hands now.
There was discussion for a time on ABURI market coming from Vancouver to Toronto. They are the same folks behind Miku and Minami

It's not downtown, but Summerhill market will be opening another location on Dundas near Scarlett, just a block to the east of the big Loblaws. Do they purposely seek out sites near railways? 😆

Back