News   May 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 568     0 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

Nature's Emporium is indeed opening their first downtown outpost in the same development as the former Coppa's.

Though....the 15th??? Their website says the 7th.

1693016481996.png

This is a chain that started out very similar to Big Carrot, though not a co-op at all........in Newmarket.

But it has steadily grown, entirely in the outer burbs to date.

Their stores have grown dramatically in size, and their number has also multiplied.

With this location, billed as Southcore and Oakville they will be at six locations in the GTA.

This is part of a big move on their part to drastically ramp up expansion.

I will have more to say in due course.

Last edited:
Nature's Emporium is indeed opening their first downtown outpost in the same development as the former Coppa's.

Though....the 15th??? Their website says the 7th.

View attachment 502351

This is a chain that started out very similar to Big Carrot, though not a co-op at all........in Newmarket.

But it has steadily grown, entirely in the outer burbs to date.

Their stores have grown dramatically in size, and their number has also multiplied.

With this location, billed as Southcore and Oakville they will be at six locations in the GTA.

This is part of a big move on their part to drastically ramp up expansion.

I will have more to say in due course.
Retail Insider had the original article last year - interesting that it's been more than a year to change a grocery store to a grocery store.

This article from Retail Insider states that Healthy Planet is opening at Yonge and Dundas this year. Assuming it is a medium to large store, where is there room? Upper floor of Nordstrom?

I saw a sign in the window yesterday that says it will open in October.

Unifor workers appear to have ratified the new collective agreement w/Metro.

The had been hoping for a $2 per hour pay raise immediately for F/T staff.

They had been offered $1.05.

The agreement apparently gives them $1.50 per hour immediately, and a further .50c on Jan 1st.

In total, they've obtained raises for F/T staff of $4.50 per hour, over 4 years.

That's basically a 20% raise on median hourly pay for a F/T staff member, or 5% per year, on average.

That's not bad, providing inflation moderates back down to 3% or less in the next year.

They really need a structural increase, above and beyond CPI.

I'll be interested to see the balance of the deal (paid sick days, and other benefits)

Some additional details on the contract:

1693523450726.png

Taken from: https://www.unifor.org/news/all-news/metro-grocery-workers-ratify-historic-new-collective-agreement

While I still can't imagine how anyone will get by on their ' new and improved' wages, this contract does look like a meaningful step forward for most employees there.

Between the wage hike, access to at least some sick-day time for part-time staff, and standardized schedules for FT staff , I think there are some tangible quality of life gains.

Good on the staff there for fighting for their self interest, and winning material concessions, my congratulations to them.

May other retail employees be at least as lucky over the next while.

Unifor workers appear to have ratified the new collective agreement w/Metro.

The had been hoping for a $2 per hour pay raise immediately for F/T staff.

They had been offered $1.05.

The agreement apparently gives them $1.50 per hour immediately, and a further .50c on Jan 1st.

In total, they've obtained raises for F/T staff of $4.50 per hour, over 4 years.

That's basically a 20% raise on median hourly pay for a F/T staff member, or 5% per year, on average.

That's not bad, providing inflation moderates back down to 3% or less in the next year.

They really need a structural increase, above and beyond CPI.

I'll be interested to see the balance of the deal (paid sick days, and other benefits)

What is the pre-strike wage?
Also, I see some reporting it's spread over five years instead of four as a compromise.
So if it's a 20% increase over the whole deal, and you calculate it on a compouding basis, like inflation is calculated, that's 3.66%/year.

Some additional details on the contract:

View attachment 503610

Taken from: https://www.unifor.org/news/all-news/metro-grocery-workers-ratify-historic-new-collective-agreement

While I still can't imagine how anyone will get by on their ' new and improved' wages, this contract does look like a meaningful step forward for most employees there.

Between the wage hike, access to at least some sick-day time for part-time staff, and standardized schedules for FT staff , I think there are some tangible quality of life gains.

Good on the staff there for fighting for their self interest, and winning material concessions, my congratulations to them.

May other retail employees be at least as lucky over the next while.
We'll probably never know, but I wonder what happens to that Union leadership that recommended accepting the pre-strike offer.

Back