Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I found it funny that they proudly talked about a beaver moving into the area. I know they're cute but I would think beaver would be a perennial issue for the future groundskeepers of this area.
Beavers are the future groundskeepers of the area! If they build it right, nature will take over and allow human intervention to be a minimal.

I found it funny that they proudly talked about a beaver moving into the area. I know they're cute but I would think beaver would be a perennial issue for the future groundskeepers of this area.

Beavers are all over the City now; there are at least 8 on the Spit, 1 family in the Lower Don, another up in Taylor Creek Park, and a slew along the Humber and in the Rouge.

They would be impractical to exclude entirely.

But yes, it requires a thoughtful landscape choice to begin with; as well as certain proactive measures to limit their impact. I would expect to see some favourite species of Beaver (Balsam Poplar, and Aspen) grown behind cages in the early days until they get established. For the most part, Beavers don't tend to be much of a threat to herbaceous vegetation or large hardwoods or conifers; though if they lack other food sources, they can be adaptable.

The City/TRCA will interfere (relocate them) if they engage in construction to materially alter the water level or flow, except where designed. They may also use tools which essentially poke holes in a dam below the water level where the Beaver may not realize there is a need to affect near-term repairs.

Last edited:
Really excited to see this final product. As well to see the different stages it will go through. All the seasons and also the different river/lake levels both high and low. Will be such a great green space for the city and nature. I'm also sure it will bring in more of the migratory birds that used to and do pass by the area south towards Point Pelee (Great birding spot if that's your thing. I grew up near there).
Very happy they decided to go with well designed bridges over straight function.
Cormorants too I suppose ...

Cormorants too I suppose ...

Something to watch for; but wouldn't expect them in large numbers in the next many years. At the spit, their tendency has been to nest up in the mature Cottonwoods, there really are no mature trees to speak of here.

Now, that said, Cormorants can and do ground nest. But I expect they would be subject to population control techniques immediately if they did that in any numbers in the lower Don. Mostly likely with the oiling of their eggs so they don't hatch.

Something to watch for; but wouldn't expect them in large numbers in the next many years. At the spit, their tendency has been to nest up in the mature Cottonwoods, there really are no mature trees to speak of here.

Now, that said, Cormorants can and do ground nest. But I expect they would be subject to population control techniques immediately if they did that in any numbers in the lower Don. Mostly likely with the oiling of their eggs so they don't hatch.
Ah, ok ! I just mentioned it since I saw a few of them last year at the Habitat Cove as I was kayaking. Makes sense though what you said about nesting and population control. Appreciate your response !

It's been fairly easy to $hit on waterfront toronto, the waterfront in general, and cheapening of various projects in Toronto. All that being said... this is something that we should all be incredibly proud of. Kudos to all involved. It looks amazing.

Ah, ok ! I just mentioned it since I saw a few of them last year at the Habitat Cove as I was kayaking. Makes sense though what you said about nesting and population control. Appreciate your response !

Just an advisory to avoid "Canoe Cove" when it's open. Saw this in the Waterfront Toronto sign shop.

1000_F_368253488_rIM9B3CNeHbXzSs87zuWKg2HXMd9S0oA.jpg

;) ;)

It's been fairly easy to $hit on waterfront toronto, the waterfront in general, and cheapening of various projects in Toronto. All that being said... this is something that we should all be incredibly proud of. Kudos to all involved. It looks amazing.
To add to this, even as amazing as it will be when it's done, its true full potential will take decades more to come into effect. Trees will grow, people and animals will find permanent homes here, and expansion of natural spaces like this will continue. This is going to be one of those projects where people are going to look back and say "wow, I'm so glad we/they did this"

They managed to pull off the Don Mouth project - which is frankly a feat on its own (never imagined it would happened in my lifetime - and in a manner that exceeded the scope of the scheme in the Crombie report).

AoD

Beavers were here long before we were and this will just allow them to move back and have a more 'rural' environment!

Beavers were here long before we were and this will just allow them to move back and have a more 'rural' environment!
Listen, I love the ideas of beavers too. They are my favourite animal. My point was that beaver dams often are difficult to have near people because the beavers have no regard for what they flood. Thankfully the whole project is designed around flood plains but beavers could still end up flooding walkways or chopping down intentionally planted trees. A beaver and human friendly environment is doable, but not really if it's considered an afterthought that will self-regulate.

Listen, I love the ideas of beavers too. They are my favourite animal. My point was that beaver dams often are difficult to have near people because the beavers have no regard for what they flood. Thankfully the whole project is designed around flood plains but beavers could still end up flooding walkways or chopping down intentionally planted trees. A beaver and human friendly environment is doable, but not really if it's considered an afterthought that will self-regulate.

Beavers do coexist along all of our rivers now, so I'm not sure why the end of the Don should be different. I've seen quite a few beavers along the Humber and the Don over the years.

Agreed. This will be by far the best example of redevelopment on our waterfront and it will only get better over the decades.

...I think we may have pulled another one over on Chi Town on this, as I am not aware of any project there that naturalizes parts of their waterfront on this grand of a scale.

Back