News   Apr 29, 2024
 178     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.8K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 780     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Thanks, good to see some colour finally. Coca-Cola also owns 7Up right? Looks like they're taking a chance on TLS finally... Maybe if things work out for them, they'll invest in some permanent signage like they have in other world commercial squares.

Do you mean like the fantastic neon sign they used to have at the Eaton Centre - the one with the red neon wave and white neon bubbles embarked on an endless journey to the heavens? I think it was far too original (maybe by the Markle Brothers) to have any resonance in Toronto - pity really.

I'm also wondering about the rest of the detailing on the building. Right now, it's a bare grey tin can covered in low quality ads. Are they going to do that vertical tube between the Coke and 7-Up ads? Alas, another victim of The Cheapening(TM) it seems.

Remember what was promised?

Funny, I've been referring to this as a tin can since last winter, I'm not sure if I got that term off here or not.
I'm still hoping and holding out for some of that fun, fussy detailing along the roofline. Walking south on Yonge around Gould Street or eastward on Dundas between Yonge & Bay reveals numerous steel HVAC rooftop units, rooftop stairs etc. which stick out like a sore thumb, it looks like hell. More ad panels are needed on the west and north facing sides to distract from the mess this has become. I hope over time they get approval for that, I can't see anything else saving this disaster. I'm also disappointed that the alignment for the surrounding video boxes around the giant LCD video screen were never corrected, another cringe-worthy detail disaster.
The inside of this place is a whole other bag of worms.

How much could they have possibly saved by making that middle ad (that yogourt one) flat instead of convex? What's with the pathetic penny-pinching? When is the city going to grow some balls and get the message out to developers that renderings aren't just pretty pictures used to dupe the public to sell their product? When are fiascos like Torch going to be outlawed?

oct2207-olympic(1).jpg

versus...

press_011128_torontostar.jpg

Funny, I've been referring to this as a tin can since last winter, I'm not sure if I got that term off here or not.
I'm still hoping and holding out for some of that fun, fussy detailing along the roofline. Walking south on Yonge around Gould Street or eastward on Dundas between Yonge & Bay reveals numerous steel HVAC rooftop units, rooftop stairs etc. which stick out like a sore thumb, it looks like hell. More ad panels are needed on the west and north facing sides to distract from the mess this has become. I hope over time they get approval for that, I can't see anything else saving this disaster. I'm also disappointed that the alignment for the surrounding video boxes around the giant LCD video screen were never corrected, another cringe-worthy detail disaster.
The inside of this place is a whole other bag of worms.

I and many thousands of people come to Y&D and TLS every week (not just the Eaton Centre), this number is growing. I'm not going to say that this is a classic piece of architecture (I don't think it was ever intended on being such) but people have come back to Yonge & Dundas, lots of people, at the end of the day that was the purpose of this project. This is not a defeatist attitude, but rather an optimistic view that Y&D is no longer a second cousin to other areas downtown and the future is bright (literally). BTW, where are all the 'real' developers that people like to reference in this section of the form?

I really don't think it appeals to Forest Hill/Rosedale type to be honest, it appeals much more to downtown mall goers and tourists especially, just like how time square is not so much of an attraction to those living in NYC as it is to tourists.

It appeals to the kind of people who have no idea what to do when they go downtown besides visit the eaton centre and eat at Jack Astors/Pickle Barrel/Milestones/Other generic suburban bigbox restaurants that have made their way to Yonge St.

It appeals to the kind of people who have no idea what to do when they go downtown besides visit the eaton centre and eat at Jack Astors/Pickle Barrel/Milestones/Other generic suburban bigbox restaurants that have made their way to Yonge St.

Most major cities have suburban bigbox restaurants. In fact, they started in the cities - Milestone's (Vancouver), Swiss Chalet (Toronto-yes, this is true) Pickle Barrel (Toronto), etc. Downtown Toronto has had a deficit of these types of restaurants compared to the suburbs. There should be a healthy mix of these restaurants and other mom and pop ones. I can't think of one major North American city that doesn't have such a variety. Toronto Life Square breathes life into these so-called suburban myth created restaurants...finally, locations downtown. Amen.

As for the building, seriously, get over it...it's built...it's done...it's here to stay.

You're right Patriot, looking at that ugly pile with fresh eyes, suddenly I see a beauteous, wondrously corrugated battleship-gray edifice, full of funtastic corporate eating opportunities!!! I can't even remember what it was about this crapshack that made me so crazy before! Thank goodness I'm over it now!

Patriot makes a good point.

Eg. Bus loads of tourists aren't delivered to Susur (they know he's bolted for nyc).... they are delivered to "urban suburban" chain restaurants (or the Spaghetti Factory) which typically and logically reside on or near Yonge Street.

There's a reason these places exist, and economically speaking, there's a need. Even for the "resident" tourists.

So let's get off our UT high horse (this includes moderators)... you can get this kinda food in Times Square for the same reasons. Yonge ain't a culinary mink mile.

Oh, I don't care what food gets served at TLS, but Patriot is mistaken if he thinks that anyone is going to "get over it" and change their minds about what is arguably the most disappointing development in the city since Mike Harris was elected. I'll stay on my horse, thank you.

Most people, probably the clear majority, that will eat at Metropolis work, go to school, or - *gasp* - live downtown. Metropolis' main fault, IMO, is that it's not flashy/gaudy enough.

^agreed. Promises of insane & distasteful signage... not kept.

42 - I was speaking to the food only. I introduced this piece of shit building to the forum a hundred years ago so it's not about archie-texture. Patriot's point stands.

Back