News   May 06, 2024
 256     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 712     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

Ah, but in that post you said your statement remains, so go back to MY post where I spelt out why your statement was incorrect.

Ah, but i never said they were removed. Yes you pointed out that the rendering does not properly address the depth perception, I totally understood what you meant and agree fully. But when one doesn't go over it with a fine tooth comb it looks like a solid wall from the FAN booth to the main building.

Here's an alternate rendering of Torch/City/Omni within its urban environment
duck_amuck.jpg

Is the FAN 590 actually moving into the building? I hadn't heard that before. It seams that radio station moves around a lot and I thought they were comfortable at the Rogers building on Jarvis.
There's no way they are moving into the "foot" of the Torch. At most, it's just a street-level studio much like CILQ and CFNY. Most operations would still be done from Jarvis.

Something's that been on my mind is that I'm beginning to believe that it is inevitable that Rogers will want to sponsor Dundas Sq.'s stage.

The tacked on "retractable" arms that were built recently are unimaginably atrocious. They're unnecessarily large and bulky. They look like they were built to lift a ship.

Its more than just a hope at this point. It's likely an inevitability. CityTV will want to use the Dundas Sq. stage quite frequently and the way its now built turns its back on the new CityTV HQ.

I'm guessing that we'll see some activity on this front by the summer when construction on Torch will have begun.

Something's that been on my mind is that I'm beginning to believe that it is inevitable that Rogers will want to sponsor Dundas Sq.'s stage.

The tacked on "retractable" arms that were built recently are unimaginably atrocious. They're unnecessarily large and bulky. They look like they were built to lift a ship.

Its more than just a hope at this point. It's likely an inevitability. CityTV will want to use the Dundas Sq. stage quite frequently and the way its now built turns its back on the new CityTV HQ.

I'm guessing that we'll see some activity on this front by the summer when construction on Torch will have begun.

...and then sell it for peanuts and call it Rogers Square. Has a good ring to it.

I wonder if anything else has been said about this building as nothing seems to be going on – at least that you can see from the exterior.

It looks like they set up a construction staging area under the "bridge" and nothing else has happened.

The only information I've been able to gather from a friend at Rogers TV is that the opening date is tentatively scheduled for March 2009. They have a heck of a lot of work to get done by then so it's strange we haven't even seen a final rendering...

Anybody?

It appears that they have spent their time gutting the interior. The place is empty, all interior walls and rooms have been stripped and its nothing more than a shell inside, with structural elements exposed.

So work is going ahead then. I wouldn't nescessarily expect any additional renderings...if this thing has already been approved, none are needed. Unless of course they decide to make the welcome prisim a can of beer or something. Wait, that's been done...

Hard to know what the proposed cladding will be, but as one can see the outline of renderpeople through it, the finish might be a mix of materials including glass.

I don't mind what this possible rendering offers. I think it's an improvement to what is there. Either way, it is kind of sad that such a new building requires so much renovation. Rather than helping out the area, it's been something of a failure.

There's a notice in today's Star (international section) of a planning act application for properties on the SE corner of Dundas Sq and Victoria. I don't have the paper any more, but I think it included 19 and 21 Dundas Sq and another property on Victoria. proposes 5 storeys of commercial and 35 residential. It said something about retaining two historical buildings and demolishing a two storey building. Could this mean that the Senator buildings willbe incorporated into the Torch? Just a wild guess.

Actually, I'm wondering if this is for the the current Hakim optical location. I was under the impression City Hall was selling that location - including the grey building with blue glass beside it - once Toronto life square opened. The plan was to have a residential tower with hotel?

OR perhaps the proposal is for the parking lot south of the Senator restaurant...

No, Hakim is on the north east corner. I don't think there's anything worth saving for historical reasons there, and yes, the city is trying to have that spot developed into a hotel.

I think 19 and 21 Dundas Square is the HNR building, which is of enormous historical significance. I'd really hate to see that one taken down (there's a rendering of a D&S condo floating around somewhere for the spot right next to HNR). The other historical building could be the Senator.

I can't see anything being built that would encompass both the Senator and HNR, unless someone were to go all out and deck over Victoria.

Back