News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.9K     10 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

The notice says it's two separate properties. Plus, I don't think this city allows things to hang over roads :/

I think 19 and 21 Dundas Square is the HNR building, which is of enormous historical significance. I'd really hate to see that one taken down (there's a rendering of a D&S condo floating around somewhere for the spot right next to HNR).

I've never heard of HNR being attributed with enormous historical significance, though yes, it's of sufficient architectural and contextual significance that only a clod or a super-duper-starchitect would knock it down...

I like the fact that it's so internally ungentrified. Both the original terra cotta part and the more sparing 1920s high-rise addition.

hmm...apparently hoarding is going up at the site....pics by dtour at SSC..

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

I'm baffled as to what the construction workers have been doing in this building since March. It looks no different. All this for more internal wiring?

Did they release the final drawings for the building?

If the tower is covered in an LED display screen, like the NASDAQ building, it'll look very cool.

I hope they go ahead with the ticker, but that "welcome" tower is intolerable.

Whoever designed that has discovered a reason for people to hate multiculturalism.

In general, I think the redesigned building exhibits way too much Omni and not nearly enough Citytv. Omni is booooring and Citytv, love it or hate it, is likely to bring a lot more to the square.

Besides several 'editions' of the news geared to various ethnicities, they don't seem to show much else besides Law and Order and Raymond syndcated episodes. It's not quite "multicultural" as they say they are. City may be a shell of what it once was, but it does have more cache than Omni.

It's pure cheese, plain and simple. It would be nice to have a media "totem" with curved display screens surrounding where the torch structure is now instead

AoD

So this is the final rendering? If so it's worse than what's there now. It's a massive step down from their Queen Street headquarters.

I HOPE this is not the final design.......... IMO its ugly ..... I would've expected if Rogers were going to tweek the building it would add substantial elements for visual interest (rather than what appears to be back lit spandrow panels + LCD displays)

I would choose the current building over the rendering

Whoa... deja vu. That picture looks like it could have been taken 4 years ago when this atrocity was still being built. Who knew that the hoardings would go back up so soon?

Regarding the redesign, that rendering was the one and only ever released. It was produced soon after the purchase in able to get approval from the city. I have no doubt that further consideration has been taking place all this time since.

I believe that the large red welcome structure is likely some sort of media wall. If that is true, it will no doubt become one of the distinctive elements of the square and indeed the city.

Back