Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

I certainly would never want to see anything looked contrived.

What does contrived mean in an architectural context? Every building is contrived. Some are just contrived more beautifully than others.

This one rendering from the perspective of the corner at Jarvis and The Esplanade really emphasizes the podium - which it turns out is a rather large block with rather interesting punchouts for windows. The top two floors of the podium have something of a mysteriously veiled loom to them: it's very hard to tell just what the intended cladding is here. Maybe a lot of fritted glass?

Behind the podium we get a look at the alternately scalloped balconies at an angle that minimizes the effect of 33 floors: from other angles this tower will look much taller. Whether or not one believes the look of the balconies is foolish is entirely subjective, and Granny, you will find there are others who have not come to that conclusion. I'm surprised that this little glimpse does not pique your curiousity as much as it seems to have triggered your contempt. Do you really have enough information from this one render to render a verdict already?

It looks to me that we are going to get an interesting variation on the Clewes box here and I look forward to more angles and larger renders.

Well put.
Your first point: What does contrived mean in an architectural context? It is not really using "design", but only appearing to do so.
Your second point: The scalloped balconies will minimize the effect of 33 floors. Minimize what effect? Though I'm not sure what it is, I respect your opinion.
Your third point:From other angles the building will look taller. Perhaps, but it's a guess at best on your part, not an opinion, because there is nothing visual to relate to to to be able to make anything more than a guess at this point.
Your fourth point:That I Think The balconies look foolish? Absolutely! That is MY opinion and I have based it on the rendering I have seen. That is the beauty of this forum ..to share opinions.

As I have mentioned in an earlier post just after this rendering was posted, I sincerely hope I will see something better to alter my opinion. My reason for that is that I am a huge fan of Mr. Clewes. His past projects along with the opinions and ideas that he has expressed have gone a long way to pulling, pushing ..no... dragging this City and its Jane Jacobs bible thumpers into the 21st century.

oh.. and no . I have no "verdict" on the Market Wharf project. Just an opinion.. based on the rendering I have seen so far.

Well put.
Your first point: What does contrived mean in an architectural context? It is not really using "design", but only appearing to do so.
Your second point: The scalloped balconies will minimize the effect of 33 floors. Minimize what effect? Though I'm not sure what it is, I respect your opinion.

Sorry - my writing is a bit unclear there. I meant to say that the angle of the render, (from the northeast side near the end of the podium, but far from the southwest corner where the tower is), minimizes the height of the tower. Somehow 33 floors manages to look short in this render! I'm not sure what effect the alternating balconies will have on the perceived height of the tower.

Your third point:From other angles the building will look taller. Perhaps, but it's a guess at best on your part, not an opinion, because there is nothing visual to relate to to to be able to make anything more than a guess at this point.

Do a render of the project from the perspective of a car passing along the Gardiner, or from the perspective of a passenger in a passing GO Train, and the 33 floors will look much taller indeed!

Your fourth point:That I Think The balconies look foolish? Absolutely! That is MY opinion and I have based it on the rendering I have seen. That is the beauty of this forum ..to share opinions.

As I have mentioned in an earlier post just after this rendering was posted, I sincerely hope I will see something better to alter my opinion. My reason for that is that I am a huge fan of Mr. Clewes. His past projects along with the opinions and ideas that he has expressed have gone a long way to pulling, pushing ..no... dragging this City and its Jane Jacobs bible thumpers into the 21st century.

oh.. and no . I have no "verdict" on the Market Wharf project. Just an opinion.. based on the rendering I have seen so far.

Fair enough!

Looks to me like Clewes (like Prii before him, as AoD pointed out) is running through the gamut of Wacky Things To Do With Balconies. How long before someone points out that there's only so many ways you can gussy up a basic point tower?

There are plenty of developers who are looking to build well-designed buildings. Unfortunately, the fad in Toronto these days is to pretend that the design world is stuck in 1958.

I have no qualms with the tower portion of the project, but the podium looks a wee bit topheavy...

just to cross-reference the post in the L Tower thread, it appears that Market Wharf was approved by Toronto Community Council last night (May 6)..

the committee approved a similar-sized development for the old Gross Machinery site in the St. Lawrence neighbourhood.

Suppose they build it and nobody shows up.

Here we go again.

Yet another one. Fancy schmancy whoopydoo with lots of hoopla and fanfare.
This Toronto market is like watching high stakes musical chairs. Which builder is finally going to get stuck with a huge empty building that nobody bought except the ghostly speculators who simply evaporated when it was time to pony up the down payments.

Ya I know I know..This belongs in the real estate section. But when I read that this thing just got approval,.. I had to comment.

Your turn Context..Roll dem dice! (and advertise like hell)

The podium building will fit into existing context by matching the height and red brick character of the buildings immediately to the east and west of it.

Edit out irrelevancies - Toronto's brief flirtation with PoMo, and gruesome Cheddintonista "good taste" for instance - and 1958 can be spliced together with 2008 fairly seamlessly. A re-engagement of design culture with multi-unit residential housing may, one day, be paralleled by a similarly large scale re-engagement with single family house design ... if we're lucky.

Investor parachute account spotted ^^^

damn, thats funny, but not sure I would concur!

and I would have to agree with Granny's points to a great degree... more schlock architecture that relies on marketing to make the sale. They've missed a big opportunity here by not calling it "South Beach" condos!!!

oh and for a donation of 50 comments you get to become an honourary member (no receipts given for tax purposes)

^I think I had high hopes for Clewes and his team about five years ago, when they left a signature style across the city but were cognizant of their surroundings: Spire was built because a tall building fit the site, while MoZo was the right scale for King and Sherbourne and Ideal lofts for Bathurst and College. Red brick was used where it was appropriate and glass curtains in other areas. Now that they just plant green glass point towers ad nauseam across the landscape, it's hard to back their designs.

hipster, it may be coincidental but all the projects you mentioned were developed for 'Context' so maybe they had more input in the overall plan?

i'd be interested to see the floorplans for the units. i've noticed alot of developers are using interior designers that do linear kitchens in efforts to give the 'sense of space and open plans' where really its just poor design.

no offense to ciccone + simone, but they doing alot of condo projects within the city and the layouts are crap.

First news article about Market Wharf ?

Moving beyond the cereal box
JOHN BENTLEY MAYS
From Friday's Globe and Mail
May 30, 2008 at 12:00 AM EDT

And now, for his next trick, Toronto architect Peter Clewes will make a new condominium stack in the city's St. Lawrence neighbourhood materialize out of thin air, then instantly sell out to savvy buyers in the audience. Presto!

This scenario is not as wacky as it sounds. Throughout Toronto's current condo boom, developers have been putting up, at a bewildering clip, tall and very popular buildings designed by Mr. Clewes. As for the prolific architect himself, he seems to pull new mid-priced condo schemes out of his hat, like a magician producing live bunnies from nowhere, with remarkable ease and speed and to widespread critical applause. The results, so far, have been pleasing, svelte boxes with gleaming faces of glass, and with much evidence of the architect's modernist affection for right-angle corners and flat-topped, broad-shouldered profiles.

In the Context Developments project proposed to rise in the St. Lawrence Market area, the podium, which contains the parking, and the high-rise block of this composition, named Market Wharf, are straight-up boxes, to be sure. The layouts of the apartments inside are also entirely conventional.

But in this building, immediately south of St. Lawrence Market on Lower Jarvis Street, Mr. Clewes has made his most interesting deviations to date from the strict modern aesthetics of exterior effect, and perhaps his most striking artistic contribution to our skyline.

All is not perfect, however, with Mr. Clewes's handiwork. The hard street-wall of the podium is made mostly of two-storey glass sheets, behind which will spread the harshly lit aisles of a mammoth Shoppers Drug Mart. While I can't imagine that residents will like having a super-sized store at the foot of their building, or that pedestrians will be fond of that cascade of glazed curtain wall, putting an 18,000-square-foot retail establishment at grade makes a certain rough sense: The famous old market next door has long made this spot a place of trade, so adding a drugstore to the mix doesn't strike me as particularly odd.

Be that as it may, the best architectural feature of the brick-faced podium is its window system, if anything so lively and eccentric can be called a system at all. Rectangular openings of different sizes skip and dance across the façade, creating a kind of abstract surface with cinematic swing and syncopation. The podium treatment is one of Mr. Clewes's departures from his usual dressy modernism.

The slab is another. While it's hardly strange to see a piece of cereal-box residential architecture in Toronto, you'd have to look far and wide to find one this romantic. The balcony guards that extend in long horizontal sweeps across the west and east facades of the building undulate gently, sensuously. Once this structure is up, these waving bands, executed in fritted glass, could resemble silky ribbons fluttering in the breeze. Tinted by the light of dusk, the slab's western surface could look like an animated screen of glowing colour. In any case, such dramatic optical effects in a tall building, rare downtown, are good things this condominium block will likely produce.

I love the name of this project. It dispenses with the blah placelessness of so many condo-tower titles and succinctly invokes the history of its site. In Toronto's first half-century, before the Lake Ontario shoreline was pushed south by landfill and the eastern city was cut off from the water by the railway corridor, on this place stood one of the principal wharves that brought the world's goods to Toronto. Market Wharf is a welcome reminder of the city's past glory as a premier Great Lakes port.

Above Grade parking

I've heard that there will be 6 stories of above grade parking due in part or in whole to the contaminated land beneath..

Back