News   May 29, 2024
 87     0 
News   May 29, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   May 29, 2024
 453     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
/\Kind of like John Hancock in Chicago?

mind your language sir ;)

ya, kinda like that. our core has got really dense and for aesthetic & transportation reasons, we might encounter problems. new towers hide old ones, infrastructure capacity gets reached, etc. we have lots of nodes in toronto where we can spread development around. future planning should make use of subway lines that are not maxed out and even the GO lines. in the future we are going to have a crosstown GO line and i think it might be a good idea to setup a sort of midtown scaled down version of union station.

as for this tower, i know that stretch of the yonge subway is maxed out but there is also the bloor line which to my understanding isn't yet.

as for this tower, i know that stretch of the yonge subway is maxed out but there is also the bloor line which to my understanding isn't yet.

The B-D is close to capacity between Broadview and Yonge, but west of Yonge, there's still some breathing room. This further shows the need for the DRL on the east end to downtown to relieve that portion of the B-D.

posted this in Out and About as well....

http://www.torontolife.com/blogs/chatto/2008/apr/30/making-progress/

excerpt...

Making progress
Posted on April 30, 2008

A tasty young rumour appears to be true—that Gordon Ramsay will be opening a restaurant in Toronto. He is currently in negotiation for space in rather a cool venue: the new condo tower planned for 1 Bloor Street East. Perhaps he’ll also turn the project into a TV show.

posted this in Out and About as well....

http://www.torontolife.com/blogs/chatto/2008/apr/30/making-progress/

excerpt...

Making progress
Posted on April 30, 2008

A tasty young rumour appears to be true—that Gordon Ramsay will be opening a restaurant in Toronto. He is currently in negotiation for space in rather a cool venue: the new condo tower planned for 1 Bloor Street East. Perhaps he’ll also turn the project into a TV show.

Sweet! I love Kitchen Nightmares. He should do a Toronto edition!

imagine gordon ramsay as the project manager of construction of 1BE...

"you call that a fucking hole! a kindergarten student with a plastic pail and shovel can dig better than that!"

at the end when it's all done, he doesn't like how a rivet was placed and tears down the whole structure.

Good spot for a parking lot unless the demolition permits are the reason for the difficulties. (I've read land aquistion isn't going as well as expected either) I haven't been past Minto Saint Thomas for a few days but get the feeling the demolition permits aren't exactly in hand either.

Good spot for a parking lot unless the demolition permits are the reason for the difficulties. (I've read land aquistion isn't going as well as expected either) I haven't been past Minto Saint Thomas for a few days but get the feeling the demolition permits aren't exactly in hand either.

It's more complicated then that, but I'm not going to get into the details (sorry).

It's more complicated then that, but I'm not going to get into the details (sorry).

I'm guessing that the difficulties lie with the proposed height. The City, as far as I know, has not approved the height that Bazis is asking for. Bazis and the City are likely wrangling over what 'extras' Bazis has to provide in exchange for the requested height.

I'm guessing that the difficulties lie with the proposed height. The City, as far as I know, has not approved the height that Bazis is asking for. Bazis and the City are likely wrangling over what 'extras' Bazis has to provide in exchange for the requested height.

I think you are exactly right. The city is in a great bargaining position since Bazis is carrying the land and the design costs and are facing construction extras if they don’t start soon. Leave it to Toronto to squeeze the developer dry (I’m not actually crying for Bazis either as they will walk away with a bundle either way – how much is the question). I’m sure the city is asking the moon right now and Bazis is supremely pissed. That said, they have to decide soon if the additional height is worth the extra costs - The city couldn’t care less either way, they have no real risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back