News   Apr 25, 2024
 385     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

Phase 3 to Start mid-June?

I forsee the road being shutdown and the reconstruction project greatly accelerated.
I think the best we can hope for is that things proceed without any more major setbacks or delays.
I just received Joe Mihevc’s Community E-News. It states that Phase 3 will get underway mid-June(http://joemihevc.com/articleDetail.aspx?a=122&n=70&s=0&email=&nskin=6).
The project website has indicated for a while that Phase 3 would start in April.
The rails have been delivered to the middle of the road east of Northcliffe. Do the rails need to weather for a few months, after they are welded into long strings, before they are installed?

I think the best we can hope for is that things proceed without any more major setbacks or delays.
I just received Joe Mihevc’s Community E-News. It states that Phase 3 will get underway mid-June(http://joemihevc.com/articleDetail.aspx?a=122&n=70&s=0&email=&nskin=6).
The project website has indicated for a while that Phase 3 would start in April.
The rails have been delivered to the middle of the road east of Northcliffe. Do the rails need to weather for a few months, after they are welded into long strings, before they are installed?

The TTC does not seem to own a streetcar rail welding truck so they hire one each spring from the US. (Illinois if I remember right.) This truck goes around to all the streetcar track sites and creates the longer strings; this year they are installing new track on. at least, St Clair, Bathurst, Parliament, Church, Wellington so you can expect to see piles of short rails waiting to be welded and then piles of longer strings waiting to be installed all over the city.

That's remarkably stupid, that we don't have a welder. I think there is no shortage of commercially available rail welders, never mind the whole second hand rail equipment market (Andrew Merrilees on Old Weston for example). I can't see them being very expensive, and should anything come of the Transit City plan, they'll be doing a lot of welding.

I think I hit that chunk of road by Humewood last night, Jonny5. I thought I was going to loose part of my car. Atrocious.

This weekend I saw some city crews smoothing out some of the worst sections of concrete on the old streetcar tracks still open to cars. Hopefully they can just get to digging it up soon.
Pre-Construction is moving east of Lansdowne now. Utilities and traffic signals are being relocated onto more new utility poles. There are now 14 utility poles at the corner of St. Clair and Winona!

Splicing rail joint March 30-08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyx1KerFdok

Moving rail to setup for next splice March 30-08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE-zFKwmDK0

Splicing rails joint at a rate of 5 minute a joint March 30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL3OxXcxK4g

Disable car been push March 30-08: Note the smash corner of the shelter. All cars were westbound with no eastbound on the line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH-LDn6EXn4

The cost of having a welding machine like this sitting in the yard most of the year is a waste of money considering how often it will get used in the first place. There are no human who could weld this fast in the first place in the world.

It is Holland Railweld Division out of Crete IL

There is a fair amount of Hydro taking place west of Caledonia Rd and more to come.

The only remaining track work to be done is at the Lansdowne intersection and the loop. All the rails are laid with based concrete up to Caledonia Rd that is offset to the existing rail. I expect the intersection will be done this weekend. 47b&c are on detour off St Clair until May as of April 14.

The sidewalk at the corner by the loop got chop 4' and in the process of having concrete pour.

I don't expect see streetcars go west of the loop until 2009 at this time.

Does anyone know why at the intersection of Spadina and St. Clair, eastbound only, there is a transit signal with the white bar advance signal installed?

I saw it come on once, about three months ago. The streetcar didn't go through when it came on. I haven't seen it come on since and I pass through here every day. What is the purpose of it? To permit the streetcar to pass through the intersection before the left turn signal? If so, why is this the only one setup? Maybe it's for the Forest Hill bus making a left hand turn? Maybe just a mistake it was put there?

Does anyone know why at the intersection of Spadina and St. Clair, eastbound only, there is a transit signal with the white bar advance signal installed?

I saw it come on once, about three months ago. The streetcar didn't go through when it came on. I haven't seen it come on since and I pass through here every day. What is the purpose of it? To permit the streetcar to pass through the intersection before the left turn signal? If so, why is this the only one setup? Maybe it's for the Forest Hill bus making a left hand turn? Maybe just a mistake it was put there?

I'm pretty sure it's for the Forest Hill bus. It's kind of annoying that the transit priority signal is simply part of the light cycle, and happens whether or not its needed. And even though it does occur, streetcars don't utilize it.

Westmount to Vaughan needs to be relaid I believe.

I think drum was refering just to Phase 2. Phase 3 is the stretch you mentioned and then Phase 4 is Caledonia to the end.

Thanks for the updates drum.
I went to the Phase 3 Open House last Wednesday to look at the plans. The configuration of the Wychwood intersection was still being finalized. They're going back to a configuration like exists currently with a stop sign for the north leg of Wychwood at St. Clair. The streetcar stops however will both be far-side.

Today I noticed forms in place at the Dufferin end in preparation for pouring the top layer of concrete. Hopefully while the loop is being done, all of the top layer can be poured where the tracks are in place. There is also work starting on the sidewalk east of Lansdowne on the south side which didn't get done in the winter.
I guess Hydro is getting ready for Phase 4 whcih was scheduled to start in August but that was when Phase 3 was to be starting now instead of mid-June.

I got a councillor newsletter the other day (Councillor Palacio who is opposed to the ROW) saying that the final phase, from Caledonia to Keele, won't begin until Spring '09. Work has been dragging on so long I've forgotten when it actually started!

I got a councillor newsletter the other day (Councillor Palacio who is opposed to the ROW) saying that the final phase, from Caledonia to Keele, won't begin until Spring '09. Work has been dragging on so long I've forgotten when it actually started!

That's bad news. The final phase is from Caledonia to the Gunns Loop.

This might have been mentioned somewhere, but are the overhead utilities supposed to be buried along the entire length of the project?

They have been between Yonge and Avenue, but not from Avenue to Spadina. My understanding is that everything from about Spadina west is being buried however.

The Yonge-Ave Rd stretch actually looks rather sharp. Without the tangle of wires it's a very stately stretch of road. Avenue to Spadina is a shambles.

This come as no surprised to me as I said sometime ago I didn't expect to see this project completed until 2010.

All the hydro from Lansdowne to Avenue Rd is underground in most places. Hydro is still feeding wires underground and removing existing service from existing buildings.

The big push for hydro was in Feb and March for phase II between Dufferin and Oakwood.

I believed it started in 2005.

All existing new light fixtures are to be replace by the supplier at no extra cost to the city.

The same thing is supposed to happen for the crosswalk paver's.

Councillor Palacio has opposed this project from day one as his sidewalks are going to see major cuts. This includes his ward office location.

There is still existing poles and wires to be removed over by the Yonge Area.

There is tons of work to be done on Phase 1 yet.

Phase 3 which is has been underway since last year, is trying something new this year. That is to removed all parking in the construction zone and do one haft of the street in one big push. This should speedup construction as the contractor would have 100% control over the work area and not worry about traffic flow.

I found the 512 buses are getting through this area faster compare to last year.

Drum, so the Avenue to Spadina stretch *is* going to lose its wooden telegraph poles? I had assumed based on the bolting of the new lampheads onto the wooden poles that they and the wires were staying.

Back