News   May 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 616     0 

TTC CLRV Streetcars: Where will they go once they are retired?

TTC miss the boat for the final car. The final 3 cars left the loop poorly considering there was supervisors on site and a 511 cutting 4001 off from the other cars. Was expecting a filming crew following 4001 or in front, but there wasn't one. Media was on 4178 that was following 4068.

The rain drops washout videos when shooting east, but not west.

If I wasn't so wet and cold, would have drove from Bathurst to Russell to catch the last 3 cars coming off line.

Lots of folks said it was mistake removing the cars considering there is a lack of them now and for some time regardless being high floor.

Has anyone snapped any of these up for private, creative use?
What is the protocol - if any - for obtaining one or more examples?

Has anyone snapped any of these up for private, creative use?
What is the protocol - if any - for obtaining one or more examples?
Need to contract TTC for that info. You will need to pay for the shipping cost as well unloading the car

Hint, hint, hint...

This is what they do in Amsterdam with their old trams...

From link.

IMG_4374.JPG

4143-asv-sneeuw01.JPG

Christmas rides

Sunday 22 December, at 3.30 pm (full) and 4.30 pm (full), the decorated Christmas tram runs again. This year we have live music on board! At Amstelveen Station there's a thé gourmand waiting for you... delicious! After two hours you're back again at Haarlemmermeerstation.

If you want to enjoy this annual event on the museum tram line, then register soon, because the number of seats is limited! Registrations (until 18 December noon at the latest) are being handled in order of receipt.

We request that you pay your ticket prior to departure.

Fares (round trip plus thé gourmand): adults € 17.50 | children (age 4-11) € 12.50
Unfortunately we're all sold out. Please try again in 2020!

80779449_10215088862689509_1972021456430694400_n.jpg

Google translation: "At the end of December, the Amsterdam Museumtrams (now) are traditionally driving through the city centre. With this time departure from the dam, the trams were very busy occupied. Tram 144 + 731 passes in the atmospheric utrechtsestraat. © Paul Van Baarle 29-12-2019"

Last edited:
4068 has been bought by Seashore Trolley Museum, and 4178 as mentioned is going to Halton. I also heard that car 4081 is not to be scrapped, so stay tuned for more on that.

4068 has been bought by Seashore Trolley Museum, and 4178 as mentioned is going to Halton. I also heard that car 4081 is not to be scrapped, so stay tuned for more on that.
It will be some time before we know what is what going to what, but the worse cars will see the scrap yard. Various parts will be save from these scrap cars where possible to go with X to Y as spare parts.

It will be interesting to see how many cars TTC will keep, as well which one. I was hoping 4178 would stay here because of the paint job it received.

As long as someone is willing to pay the shipping cost, TTC shouldn't worry about the cost of buying the car from them in the first place since its only pennies at the end of the day that the scrap yard is giving them in the first place.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if any of SEPTA PCC-II will see a new home come Jan 25 when they retire. They are currently on Route 15 there.

Like most of TTC old Fleet that is seeing the scrap yard, the PCC will join them. At the rate SEPTA is going, streetcars will be a thing of the past as they have no plans to order more cars, considering they were looking at TTC Flexity to replace 141 50' Kawasaki 1980-82 trolleys, since they had 30-33' foot curves.

At the rate SEPTA is going, streetcars will be a thing of the past as they have no plans to order more cars
If I recall correctly, this is the second time you have alleged this.

It will be interesting to see if any of SEPTA PCC-II will see a new home come Jan 25 when they retire. They are currently on Route 15 there.
I have a feeling most will actually go to museums or other railways, mainly for parts though. They're still in great shape (for heritage vehicles), and both Cities and heritage railways eat PCCs up. There are very few agencies that showed interest in the CLRVs (and less so the ALRVs) because so few cities had some form of involvement with them, and only 1 city ever operated them full time.

The PCCs operated everywhere. And even though these cars run on the Pennsylvania gauge, I wouldn't be surprised if Kenosha wanted to pick 1-4 up, if the Market Street Railway wanted at least 4+, if the Pennsylvania Trolley museum wants 2+, if Seashore wants a few for parts, if Baltimore wants a few for both parts and running, if Illinois wants a few, etc.

I have a feeling that SEPTA wants to keep at least one as a heritage vehicle. They probably will never run given their funding situation, but still.

At the rate SEPTA is going, streetcars will be a thing of the past as they have no plans to order more cars, considering they were looking at TTC Flexity to replace 141 50' Kawasaki 1980-82 trolleys, since they had 30-33' foot curves.
Streetcars will not be a thing of the past in Philadelphia, because of the Subway Surface section. They have had plans to replace the fleet for years now, they just don't have the funding.
If I recall correctly, this is the second time you have alleged this.
Numerous sources have confirmed elsewhere that the PCC-IIs are dead. The K cars are still going strong, but it's only a matter of time. We'll see what happens.

Back