News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.6K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.9K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3.5K     3 

TTC CLRV Streetcars: Where will they go once they are retired?

I had it Christmas evening. My last ride too. It’s why I picked that crew
111A7E8A-0A23-47D2-961B-3FFE482F6C29.jpeg

One Round Trip Only

Legacy TTC streetcars to make final trip down Queen street

December 27, 2019

After more than 40 years in service, the TTC's iconic Canadian Light Rail Vehicles (CLRVs) are being retired. Media and members of the public are invited to take part in the streetcars' final trips along Queen St. this Sun., Dec. 29. The streetcars are being retired as the TTC continues to convert its fleet to all-accessible, low-floor vehicles.

The first CLRV arrived on property on Dec. 29, 1977 and entered service on Sept. 30, 1979 on the 507 Long Branch route. The final CLRV was delivered in 1982. In total, the TTC purchased 196 CLRV streetcars, supplemented in 1988 by an additional 52 Articulated Light Rail Vehicles (ALRVs), which were nearly double the length of the CLRV. The last of the ALRV fleet was officially retired on Sept. 2, 2019. Several CLRV vehicles will be retained and preserved by the TTC and transit museums in Canada and the United States.

Twenty randomly selected contest winners have been awarded a seat for them and a guest on the final CLRV ride on vehicle 4001 this Sunday afternoon. All TTC customers riding a CLRV along Queen St. from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on Sunday will also be in for a treat; a free ride.

Date: Sun., Dec. 29, 2019
Time: 2:45 - 4 p.m.
Location: Wolseley Loop, located near Bathurst St. and Queen St.

Please note, media will not be riding on the final streetcar, they will be riding on the second last car.

It seems I’m the only one here that won’t be missing these at all. Ugly, dirty, loud, old, clunky, noisy, overheated in the summers, cold in the winters, constantly dirty back window, and oh those seats way in the back where the shady people sat.
It’s almost 2020. Look at other cities’ transit vehicles and compare them to these hunks of junk. These are throwbacks from the Bronze Age.
It’s past time they were gone.

It seems I’m the only one here that won’t be missing these at all. Ugly, dirty, loud, old, clunky, noisy, overheated in the summers, cold in the winters, constantly dirty back window, and oh those seats way in the back where the shady people sat.
It’s almost 2020. Look at other cities’ transit vehicles and compare them to these hunks of junk. These are throwbacks from the Bronze Age.
Don’t hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

In a few decades, please let us know what you think of Flexity Outlook streetcars once Flexity Outlook Mk. 2 streetcars become common.

In a few decades, please let us know what you think of Flexity Outlook streetcars once Flexity Outlook Mk. 2 streetcars become common.

Will do! Everything has its own time and I’ll be glad when the Flexity Outlook cars are ready to be replaced by the next best thing.

Last edited:
They could have replaced the CLRV's on the Scarborough (and Etobicoke) rapid transit lines (and their extensions) with Flexity Freedom light rail vehicles by now.

See link.

20130717-RT-Diagram.jpg

20130720-RT-Progress.jpg
Scarborough line is high floor. The Etobicoke LRT (Kipling LRT) could be low floor though if they really wanted it to be, however.

Scarborough line is high floor. The Etobicoke LRT (Kipling LRT) could be low floor though if they really wanted it to be, however.

Originally, the Scarborough line was to use low floor platform, level with the first steps on the CLRV's. They changed it to high floor platforms with the ICTS vehicles. They could have used high floor platforms if they redesigned the CLRV without steps.

As It stands at this time, 511 cease to be an CLRV Line tonight, considering some drivers are saying they will be driving an CLRV on 511 Sunday.

6 CLRV's will be on Queen between 10-2 pm.

4001 will depart Wolseley Loop at 2:45 with another CLRV in front of it that will be a media car. Plan was to have the media car follow 4001.

A large number of people photographing and videoing 511 cars at Bathurst St Subway Loop.

Shot a video going north from Fleet to Bloor today as well having our last ride on 511 CLRV. Photograph a number of CLRV's

4051 still sitting on track 22 where it been the last few weeks.

4 cars on track 21 with headlights on and a 501 sign that I could see with 4001 at the front in the Russell Yard.

4091, 4094 and 4074 sitting on track 20 in the scrap line.

4178, 4048, 4110 and 4155 line up for 501.

4053, 4133 and 4024 next to the carhouse with 511 signs. 4164, 4104 cars sitting on the next track to the west with 511 signs with 4068 and 4057 behind them with Goodbye Logos on them..

4179, 4184, 4123, 4193, 4040, 4042, are still on 511 At 1:34 with 4085 going out of service on King

Back