News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.4K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.9K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

One wonders if the public would be so against the Scarborough expansion had the Province beefed up its funding commitment and got the line routed all the way to Malvern with stops at Brimley/Eglinton, Lawrence, the Town Centre, Bellamy, Progress Campus, and Markham/Sheppard en route. At least then the criticism that the LRT plan has more stops and ergo is superior would be stymied.

Besides the costs, it would be impossible for the subway to enter the STC area following the McCowan alignment, then turn sharply and reach the Progress Campus.

The best we can hope for, is that Metrolinx and TTC will find a way to top-up the federal contribution to the SSE project, reaching up to 40% of the total cost. In that case, we might get the Sheppard / McCowan station, Lawrence East, or maybe both of them.

I think a lot of people (staff and supportive Councillors alike) think when costs come back next year, they'll have risen to the point of being untenable and politically unsupportable.

I think a lot of people (staff and supportive Councillors alike) think when costs come back next year, they'll have risen to the point of being untenable and politically unsupportable.
This is what I'm expecting to happen.

At that point it will require additional funding to survive.

I can only agree to adding more stops if they're not shitty Rosedale type stations. If you're gonna add a station, add a PROPER station. Otherwise I'm cool with 1 solid station at STC.

I can only agree to adding more stops if they're not shitty Rosedale type stations. If you're gonna add a station, add a PROPER station. Otherwise I'm cool with 1 solid station at STC.
It will be underground - so your lack of love for Rosedale Station wouldn't even be possible - not that are area with no subway service should really look down at a station like Rosedale ...

If Scarborough Subway dies, good luck ever finding enough public support and political will for a likely $20 billion pricetagged Downtown Relief Line. I wish more people would grasp and understand that an attack on one subway proposal is an attack on them all.

If Scarborough Subway dies, good luck ever finding enough public support and political will for a likely $20 billion pricetagged Downtown Relief Line. I wish more people would grasp and understand that an attack on one subway proposal is an attack on them all.

Except, its not.

I don't think there's any point where any councillor will flip and support a plan that they've voted against three times. I don't think there's any chance that the anti-subway extension city councillors will put a different LRT plan on the table either. And considering the provincial election campaign that's coming up, with none of the three major parties opposing the subway extension and a budget that's very literally balancing itself, it's more likely that some new provincial funding or municipal revenue tools will appear to cover whatever cost increase there is.

It will be underground - so your lack of love for Rosedale Station wouldn't even be possible - not that are area with no subway service should really look down at a station like Rosedale ...
A poorly done station affects all riders of the Bloor line to a certain extent, especially ones who will be passing it on a daily basis. A station like Rosedale would be a daily eyesore.

I wouldn't go that far. But I agree to some extent. There will be a ton of bitterness in Scarborough. Making fertile ground for more Fordesque populists.

That would depend on how the bus routes were configured. IMO, it would be logical to send the Islington buses to Kipling Stn, while Royal York buses would go to Runnymede. Royal York is closer to Kipling than to Runnymede, but the difference is not that large. Since there majority of riders would want to travel to/from downtown, it would be more logical to go to a station that is closer to downtown.

The combined Kipling + Islington would be fairly similar to STC, while the combined Royal York + Old Mill + Jane + Runnymede would be fairly similar to Kennedy Stn. The two service areas can generate similar total number of rides.

Based on 2015 ridership numbers, Islington's 37,000+ is nearly the same ridership as the entire RT.

Kipling + Islington is 90,340.

Royal York + Old Mill + Jane + Runnymede is 63,710.

I haven't seen projections anywhere near that for the new extension.

Projections have STC at about 70,000 daily. Greater than Kipling, but less than the two combined. All in all a fairly busy terminus station. Obviously Finch is king of them all at north of 100,000.

Projections have STC at about 70,000 daily. Greater than Kipling, but less than the two combined. All in all a fairly busy terminus station. Obviously Finch is king of them all at north of 100,000.

And when that line is extended to Richmond Hill, Finch will drop drastically.

Back