News   Aug 16, 2024
 2K     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 664     0 

Zoning Reform Ideas

More coverage of the impending change to building codes that will no doubt spread across the country this Fall. Highlights sensible changes that address safety concerns without giving in to hystetics and anecdotes.

One aspect that I was unaware of was the two-lot requirement to develop although it sounds like that is going to be eliminated.
Does the plan included in the G&M article not include one elevator running to the top floor? This makes more sense to me, allowing for access to the more elderly, infirm, and those with injuries or disabilities to rooftop views as well. (Not to mention laws on the books about access requirements for those less abled) And perhaps striking more of a balance for smaller lots and developments to 4 or 5 stories. Above that, I think we are just accepting that we are dealing with an apartment building. And maybe we can still allow for one staircase access (with all the advancements in building materials and fire detection and suppression) , but the need for elevators will increase.

Back