News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 802     0 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

Further south they've started landscaping Yonge Street from the Toronto Star building up to Front. The area around Lakeshore is getting large new areas for plants and lots of new trees.

Me too! Especially if they move the eyes away from the The Toronto Star building...

Yonge Street - Part One, Bloor to Wellesley Sts., July 2009

This afternoon I documented Yonge Street from Bloor down to Wellesley Sts.
I broke areas down into segments (see below) for easier viewing and I don't believe that I missed any buildings which illustrate the varied architecture, vast array of stores, restaurants, cafe's & services and streetscape. Notice how busy and animated the street is between about 2pm-3:30pm on a weekday. The downside is that this was a nightmare to photograph because of all of the foot traffic, road work in progress, parked delivery vans (I waited about 15 minutes for one of them to move but I finally gave up) so some of the pictures aren't as good as they could be but I got the shots as best I could and continued on. Each side of the street is captured as if one would be walking from north to south.
As noted in previous threads there are a ton of gems here, all in various conditions and states of repair (or disrepair). I hope this spurs more discussion & debate and perhaps most importantly, provides a visual document of Yonge Street in the summer 2009. I did not photograph the empty 1BE corner, we've all seen enough of that mess.
Part two will be Wellesley to Gerrard and part three Gerrard to Queen which I hope to complete by the end of the week.
Love it or hate it, one can't deny how interesting and urban Yonge downtown is. For those not familiar with Yonge Street, enjoy the walk along one of the city's busiest and most unique streets.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Bloor Street to Charles Street, West side -

Bloor Street to Charles Street, East side -

Charles Street to Isabella Street, West side -

Charles Street to Isabella Street, East side -

Isabella Street to Wellesley Street, West side -

Isabella Street to Wellesley Street, East side -

Last edited:
Good Work DT

Good work DT on your excellent photo documentation!

I think Yonge remains far below its potential in many ways. I agree both with those who think it can and should be better and those that lament its more interesting times.

It many ways it has become a mainstream outdoor mall, except not a very pretty one.

It has lots its gruff charm from old-beat up cinemas, night clubs and even our legendary Sam's ....while not bringing us Queen West or Yorkville in exchange.

It now occupies a strange middle ground, unsatisfying to almost everyone.

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee140/laserboy_TO/E8.jpg

The photo linked above is of the building that I have always been most irritated about on this section of Yonge. Covering what must have been a very nice heritage building at one time with an awful and black paint job, EWWW. There should be a law! :D

Is there nothing the city can do to prevent this horrible spamming of public space by retailers? Somewhere, beneath the screaming match of garish signage shown in those photographs, there are some perfectly charming old buildings. These strike me as particularly horrible examples:

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee140/laserboy_TO/W5-1.jpg

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee140/laserboy_TO/W2.jpg

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee140/laserboy_TO/W10.jpg

In the mid-1970s, this building housed a place called Mr. Gameways - I once bought a jigsaw puzzle there because they had a sign saying "10% discounts to homosexuals".

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee140/laserboy_TO/E2.jpg

It many ways it has become a mainstream outdoor mall, except not a very pretty one.

It has lots its gruff charm from old-beat up cinemas, night clubs and even our legendary Sam's ....while not bringing us Queen West or Yorkville in exchange.

I think this gets the street quite wrong. Queen West is the mainstream outdoor mall (with Yorkville only halfway there). This stretch has so few chain stores (other than food/drink) and so many WEIRD stores (clothes, shoes, books, leather). It's unlike any other area. Which doesn't mean it couldn't be improved, but it does mean it's something special.

To me, Queen West between Spadina and John, for whatever it's past glories and vibrant streetlife, has suffered from its nearly wholesale conversion into chain store outdoor mall.

(oh, nice pics btw!!!)

Thanks for your comments! I've got down to College/Carlton done, I'll finish down to Queen in the next few days and get them up.

Good work DT on your excellent photo documentation!

I think Yonge remains far below its potential in many ways. I agree both with those who think it can and should be better and those that lament its more interesting times.

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee140/laserboy_TO/E8.jpg

The photo linked above is of the building that I have always been most irritated about on this section of Yonge. Covering what must have been a very nice heritage building at one time with an awful and black paint job, EWWW. There should be a law! :D

I couldn't agree more, imagine this and other painted, peeling buildings sandblasted exposing their original detailed brickwork? I think some people's "hate-on" with Yonge would ease.

I think this gets the street quite wrong. Queen West is the mainstream outdoor mall (with Yorkville only halfway there). This stretch has so few chain stores (other than food/drink) and so many WEIRD stores (clothes, shoes, books, leather). It's unlike any other area. Which doesn't mean it couldn't be improved, but it does mean it's something special.

To me, Queen West between Spadina and John, for whatever it's past glories and vibrant streetlife, has suffered from its nearly wholesale conversion into chain store outdoor mall.

(oh, nice pics btw!!!)

Queen W has commercialized in the past 10-15 or so years, but to be fair it's far from an outdoor chain mall, it still has many independent retailers and eateries that survive and do well. Yonge Street has more offbeat retail presumably because of cheaper rent. No doubt we'll see parts of Yonge commercialize once projects such as 1BE (in some form) and Aura go up as retail in areas nearby will likely shoot up in rent and eventually go commercial. The upside to that is whatever heritage buildings are nearby will most likely see a restoration, much like what happened to many buildings on Yonge from Dundas to Queen Sts.

Is there nothing the city can do to prevent this horrible spamming of public space by retailers? Somewhere, beneath the screaming match of garish signage shown in those photographs, there are some perfectly charming old buildings. These strike me as particularly horrible examples:

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee140/laserboy_TO/W5-1.jpg

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee140/laserboy_TO/W2.jpg

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee140/laserboy_TO/W10.jpg

In the mid-1970s, this building housed a place called Mr. Gameways - I once bought a jigsaw puzzle there because they had a sign saying "10% discounts to homosexuals".

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee140/laserboy_TO/E2.jpg

There are several beautiful, albeit rundown buildings behind those behemoths. The Panasonic mostly manages to conceal the original building frontage which is all that is left of the of the original Victoria Theatre built in 1919. Beyond the lobby, the auditorium was completely demolished in order to build an improved live venue complete with change rooms, larger stage and basement areas.
I like your story on Mr. Gameways I remember that place, it lasted for many years. Prior to Mr. Gameways that was the Cinecity Cinema from '66-'75.

cinecity_may1974.jpg
cinecity_jan-75.jpg

Charming pictures of a charming street, thanks.

I remember androiduk making a comment in this thread awhile back about the strip between Bloor and Charles being 'Noodle Alley'.:p

The buildings housing Eliot's Books, Northbound Leather and, of course, Gloucester Mews are great examples of what Yonge Street Could be. The brick building covered in a mess of black paint near Yonge & Wellesley is a sad reminder of the what it shouldn't be. For me, it's not about the type of retail tenants - I like the mix of independent stores and restaurants - it's the state of the buildings themselves. I have no issue with a huge Seduction sex shop, I have an issue with the neglect of what could be a beautiful building.

The buildings housing Eliot's Books, Northbound Leather and, of course, Gloucester Mews are great examples of what Yonge Street Could be. The brick building covered in a mess of black paint near Yonge & Wellesley is a sad reminder of the what it shouldn't be. For me, it's not about the type of retail tenants - I like the mix of independent stores and restaurants - it's the state of the buildings themselves. I have no issue with a huge Seduction sex shop, I have an issue with the neglect of what could be a beautiful building.

Perfectly put, I couldn't agree more. That has always been the basic thrust of my pro-Yonge downtown stance.

Part two of three, Yonge Street from Wellesley to Gerrard will be posted either later tonight or tomorrow. I've finished photographing down to Queen Street now but I thought I'd give the thread some time in between photo posts for discussion & debate.

Yonge Street - Part Two, Wellesley to Gerrard Sts., July 2009

The document continues from Wellesley to Carlton/College, then Carlton/College to Gerrard Sts.

Many more gems can be found along this section, not the least is the standout that is College Park. The varied selection of retail and eateries remains consistent as can be found north of this area. Aura will fill in that parking lot at Gerrard Street well and bring much needed continuity to this stretch of the street.

Each side of the street is captured as if one would be walking from north to south.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Wellesley Street to Carlton/College Street, West side -

Wellesley Street to Carlton/College Street, East side -

Carlton/College Street to Gerrard Street, West Side -

Carlton/College Street to Gerrard Street, East Side -

The document continues from Wellesley to Carlton/College, then Carlton/College to Gerrard Sts.

Many more gems can be found along this section, not the least is the standout that is College Park. The varied selection of retail and eateries remains consistent as can be found north of this area. Aura will fill in that parking lot at Gerrard Street well and bring much needed continuity to this stretch of the street.

Walking through this section a few days ago, I noticed the store front housing Andalous Imports was vacant.

I always laughed at the store window, crammed full of kitschy plaster dog statues (some life size) and various other trinkets, nick nacks and bric a brac, which, on the inside, filled the store so there was almost no space to move around. They had been advertising a "90% off going out of business sale" for at least the past 5 years. From what I can tell, they either sold nothing during this time or had so much identical inventory, they could replace what was sold indefinitely.

So needless to say I was surprised to see they were finally gone.

I was even more surprised to see they had re-opened two storefronts to the south... and they're already having a 50% off sale...

Yonge Street at its finest!

Walking through this section a few days ago, I noticed the store front housing Andalous Imports was vacant.

I always laughed at the store window, crammed full of kitschy plaster dog statues (some life size) and various other trinkets, nick nacks and bric a brac, which, on the inside, filled the store so there was almost no space to move around. They had been advertising a "90% off going out of business sale" for at least the past 5 years. From what I can tell, they either sold nothing during this time or had so much identical inventory, they could replace what was sold indefinitely.

So needless to say I was surprised to see they were finally gone.

I was even more surprised to see they had re-opened two storefronts to the south... and they're already having a 50% off sale...

Yonge Street at its finest!

The 50% off sale has been on for much more than 5 years, I bought one of those dogs (a Lab) for my mom back around 2000/2001!

Slight correction: Andalous Imports has always been around that spot - it's the Rasam that's finally gone. In fact at one point there the sign stating the "closing on" date literally changes every night. Some particularly witty vandalism finally put an end to that practice.

AoD

Last edited:

Back