News   Jun 25, 2024
 508     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 620     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

Slight correction: Andalous Imports has always been around that spot - it's the Rasam that's finally gone. In fact at one point there the sign stating the "closing on" date literally changes every night. Some particularly witty vandalism finally put an end to that practice.

AoD

Ah, well not as a great a story as I thought then, but still interesting to see them finally gone. I wonder what they did with all the leftover dogs?

cinecity_may1974.jpg

I used to love fantastic planet. I was pretty stoned when i'd watch it, though.

^ Not exactly heaven. First of all, get rid of all that battleship grey.

I personally don't mind the stucco look on buildings (like the one on the left), but from talking to a lot of people, it seems I'm in the minority. Maybe it's wise to reclad that building.

Well, it's more tasteful stucco than some (was that building already bastardized beforehand?) As long as the stucco doesn't extend around the corner...

The buildings housing Eliot's Books, Northbound Leather and, of course, Gloucester Mews are great examples of what Yonge Street Could be. The brick building covered in a mess of black paint near Yonge & Wellesley is a sad reminder of the what it shouldn't be. For me, it's not about the type of retail tenants - I like the mix of independent stores and restaurants - it's the state of the buildings themselves. I have no issue with a huge Seduction sex shop, I have an issue with the neglect of what could be a beautiful building.

I agree with you totally. Here and there, there are some decent old buildings and some have actually been properly restored and taken care of. But, on the whole, the street looks run down and, to me, is an embarrassment. No decent streetscaping, a bit of interesting retail, but a lot of not so interesting that constantly turns over. When my relatives come in from Montreal, their first comment is, " So, have they done anything to improve Yonge St.?" I really don't find it so urban; I actually regard it as a bit of provincial Toronto as I remember it 25 years ago.

If all of Yonge looked like this I would be in heaven:

Gasp!!!

I will give the owners credit for at least attempting to highlight the building's details above where Horneros is, I think their intentions were good.

I agree with you totally. Here and there, there are some decent old buildings and some have actually been properly restored and taken care of. But, on the whole, the street looks run down and, to me, is an embarrassment. No decent streetscaping, a bit of interesting retail, but a lot of not so interesting that constantly turns over. When my relatives come in from Montreal, their first comment is, " So, have they done anything to improve Yonge St.?" I really don't find it so urban; I actually regard it as a bit of provincial Toronto as I remember it 25 years ago.

There are a lot of buildings that are more than decent, although some in need of a cleanup/restoration (and not like the defaced crime noted above). Restorations and projects such as this great proposed project is a great example of what can keep Yonge Street's treasures intact, restored and sustainable.

I'm with you on streetscaping however there's simply no room for a median and the sidewalks along much of the street are not wide enough for any landscaping or benches. At least utility poles were removed decades ago.

Oh, and Yonge Street is provincial?!

Slight correction: Andalous Imports has always been around that spot - it's the Rasam that's finally gone. In fact at one point there the sign stating the "closing on" date literally changes every night. Some particularly witty vandalism finally put an end to that practice.

I remember walking down Yonge by Rasam's and commenting to my friend something along the lines of "Closing sale? I'll believe that when I see it!", only to be immediately chided by the owner who was standing right there who declared that of course they were closing soon and how dare I suggest otherwise...

I would say that was about four years ago.

DT Geek: Good Yonge Street pics...

DTG: Good two groups of Yonge Street pics-from Bloor down to S of College/Carlton Streets-I especially noted that College Park looks mostly the same as it did in my early days of Toronto visits - 1979-1984.
You show it well for how it is today-LI MIKE

Yonge Street - Part Three, Gerrard to Queen Sts., July 2009

The document concludes the downtown Yonge photo tour from Gerrard to Dundas Sts., then Dundas to Queen Sts.

Buildings south of Dundas Street are generally in better shape overall than those to the north.

Each side of the street is captured as if one would be walking from north to south.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Gerrard to Dundas Sts., West side -

Gerrard to Dundas Sts., East side -

Dundas to Queen Sts., West side -

Dundas to Queen Sts., East side -

** end **

I wonder how images of the American Apparel blowups will look to those who peruse a UT-style vintage-photo thread in 2050 or so...

Back