News   Jun 26, 2024
 47     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 260     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Yonge Street Revitalization (Downtown Yonge BIA/City of Toronto)

It would be an interesting topic for a separate thread. Putting aside economic realities, which demolished building in Toronto would you most like to see rebuilt?

I don't think the old TTC/Board of Trade building was demolished for (what I still think of as) the EDS building. Even more sadly, I believe it was demolished for surface parking, IIRC.

This pretty much covers most of mine:

http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/10/10_lost_toronto_buildings_we_wish_we_could_bring_back/

I would add to it Union Carbide Building on 123 Eglinton, Shell Oil Tower at the Ex, the Provincial Lunatic Asylum (ex CAMH), Trinity College at Trinity Bellwoods Park, the Normal School, the University Avenue Synagogue.

AoD

The loss of the Normal School is particularly tragic. It didn't need to go for Ryerson to happen. Arguably, Ryerson might have avoided decades of some the worst Rye-High-type condescension had it kept such a building at the heart of its campus.

Add the old Globe and Mail building to that list. And as long as we are ignoring economic and planning consequences, I also wish we could have back (to add even more to the list) the Third Upper Canada Parliament Buildings (which didn't get demo'ed until the 20th century), the Grand Opera House, the Mechanic's Institute building (which became our first public library), Ontario Place Forum, the Rossin House Hotel, the Sam the Record Man flagship, and the Yonge Arcade.

ETA: And the Eaton's Annex and old Eaton's warehouse buildings. Imagine what kind of district we would have on that block today had they been saved. (To be fair, some of them did burn down)

ETA2: And add all of Toronto Street (how it used to exist) to the list.

Last edited:
Great additions - I've forgotten about the Forum as well.

Anyways, there is so little info on the Goel Tzedec Synagogue (University Avenue) - here is an image quoted from Torontoist/Archives of Ontario and an accompanying article:

2014_12_13_13738053684_54bcfb4ecd_o_640.jpg

http://torontoist.com/2014/12/historicist-torn-between-the-synagogue-and-concert-hall/

I suppose the loss of the University Aveune Streetscape can also be added to the list. Plus Second Union Station...

AoD

Interesting about the Goel Tzedec Synagogue. Everyone always talks about the loss of the General Post Office, the Temple Building, etc. - it's interesting to hear about these "smaller" buildings, with lesser profiles, that nonetheless represent a huge loss.

Second Union Station is a good one. I would also add the Great Western/Grand Trunk railways station from Yonge and Front.

Basically every in the Lost Toronto thread is heartbreaking to accept. It would be interesting to see Cabbagetown in its entirety before it was severed to build St. James Town and Regent Park.

It would be nice to have the original and previous versions of Upper Canada College back:

pictures-r-2306.jpg

pictures-r-2344.jpg

pictures-r-2343.jpg

pictures-r-4676.jpg

pictures-r-3830.jpg

pictures-r-3832.jpg

pictures-r-3843.jpg

Toronto Public Library

Since we're on the topic of lost buildings.. owner of the building at 32 Grenville st. (Yonge & College) has applied to have the entire building re-clad... in EIFs

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 1A3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 16 206220 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Aug 12, 2016

Project: Apartment Building Re-Roofing/Re-Cladding

Description: Proposal all EIFS throughout the existing apartment building

upload_2016-8-16_16-5-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-16_16-5-45.png
    upload_2016-8-16_16-5-45.png
    442.3 KB · Views: 546
Since we're on the topic of lost buildings.. owner of the building at 32 Grenville st. (Yonge & College) has applied to have the entire building re-clad... in EIFs

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 1A3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 16 206220 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Aug 12, 2016

Project: Apartment Building Re-Roofing/Re-Cladding

Description: Proposal all EIFS throughout the existing apartment building

Is this just a case of inaccurate description? The existing building already appeared to be partially clad in EIFS - but covering the Grenville facade would be a perversion.

Looks like we might have to revive the EIFS thread soon. In the meantime, we have this analogy:

o-RESTORATION-570.jpg

From Huffpost
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/octogenarians-hilarious-f_n_1821389.html

AoD

Last edited:
Is this just a case of inaccurate description? The existing building already appeared to be partially clad in EIFS - but covering the Grenville facade would be a perversion.

Looks like we might have to revive the EIFS thread soon. In the meantime, we have this analogy:

o-RESTORATION-570.jpg

From Huffpost
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/octogenarians-hilarious-f_n_1821389.html

AoD
A century from now, that repainting of Jesus would be considered a masterpiece rivalling that of the original. Not just that, but architecture critics of the 22nd century would laud EIFS.

o-RESTORATION-570.jpg

From Huffpost

AoD

Probably not the greatest example, seeing as nobody really cared about it before and now it's famous.

A century from now, that repainting of Jesus would be considered a masterpiece rivalling that of the original. Not just that, but architecture critics of the 22nd century would laud EIFS.

No, EIFS is the insulbrick of our times - a cheap cladding meant to look like something much grander. There are still a few insulbrick-clad houses around if you know where to look.

You don't have to look too far in this city to see insulbrick around, but mostly on less visible side exteriors. I can only hope that EIFS one day is considered on par with insulbrick - I hope you are right.

Guys!!!! I was thinking this morning. What is wrong with yonge street. Y is it so ugly? is it the architecture? the sidewalks? the asphalt?
Can it be saved? Why are they not doing anything about it? all those buildings going up, all that money being made but the street has been the same ever since I can remember.

Back