News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 851     0 

Yonge Street Development

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
I made the little map below to illustrate the substantial development occurring along or near Toronto's backbone, Yonge St. The red markers signify developments that are currently under construction or have been proposed. I would say that these projects will have the biggest impact on Yonge St. since the Eaton Centre was built almost 35 years ago.

yongedevelopment.jpg

very nice/informative ^^^
i don't see yonge in the areas of king/queen/front being effected by many new developments that much in the coming years. it's more about the stuff north of dundas that is low-rise/destined to be torn down.

it's more about the stuff north of dundas that is low-rise/destined to be torn down.

Don't even type that kind of thing! Unless of course your referring to 10 Dundas Street....

Don't even type that kind of thing! Unless of course your referring to 10 Dundas Street....

a lot of those low-rise retail shops are being torn down, and i remember urban toronto reporting just a while back about a big lot right on yonge street (north of college) being bought by a condo developer... yonge street is getting a makeover,

I get the feeling that two of the most recent developments are merely "placeholders", and those are 10 Dundas E (formerly Toronto Life Square) and the shared facility put up by Canadian Tire and Ryerson University at Bay/Dundas. On both parcels, intense development can be accommodated, and frankly if more time had passed before those two barf-ups were built, something quite different may have occurred.

In hot Toronto, the replacement of these two buildings so quickly is not out of the question. I recall when the Lord Simcoe Hotel at King/University was replaced; people were surprised that such a "young-ish" building was being razed.

We're living in interesting times. Let's see how long these two buildings survive. This is not just wishful thinking, but there may be a component of that in my words :) .

I was at Metropolis the other night and it actually struck me how well the complex is doing.

On the other hand a walk up Yonge Street to the North reveals that, at least temporarily, the wave of development you guys are champion is really starting to adversely impact the neighbourhood.

I say temporarily because I make no judgement with regards to the long-term impact of this change. Yonge street already does not act as a major draw for a person like myself who lives in the old city of Toronto vis a vis other commercial and residential districts in the core

Maybe it was mentioned earlier, but I noticed that the prim little streetfront Bell store at Toronto Death Square has bit the dust...

I was at Metropolis the other night and it actually struck me how well the complex is doing.

It's done well since the day it opened what with 24 great cinemas with no nearby competition, a food court next to Ryerson and a full sized Future Shop finally comes downtown. Throw in Jack Astor's and Milestone's and it's a recipe for success. The amount of people that go through there says nothing about the tin can it all sits under.

It seems more white-elephantish approached via subway (i.e. all the failed retail at subway-entrance level)

The amenities of the building are commercially sound, but it's the actual aesthetics of the building that are cringe-inducing.
The exterior, when not hidden by signs is clad in the kind of grey or ultra-cheap corrugated aluminum - the kind used in storage sheds. The subway access is cramped and the basement desperately unfinished looking. The lobby is disjointed and bland, and the middle floors look like a penitentiary.
I think the theatres are great, personally. By the time I make it to the theatre lobby, I feel I've earned it.

There's no reason why all the commercial uses this building contains couldn't be placed in a stylish setting that provides some beauty and comfort. Outside as well as in.

The amenities of the building are commercially sound, but it's the actual aesthetics of the building that are cringe-inducing.
The exterior, when not hidden by signs is clad in the kind of grey or ultra-cheap corrugated aluminum - the kind used in storage sheds. The subway access is cramped and the basement desperately unfinished looking. The lobby is disjointed and bland, and the middle floors look like a penitentiary.
I think the theatres are great, personally. By the time I make it to the theatre lobby, I feel I've earned it.

There's no reason why all the commercial uses this building contains couldn't be placed in a stylish setting that provides some beauty and comfort. Outside as well as in.

10 Dundas East is such a problem! Does everyone recall when "Metropolis" was proposed all those years ago? It was to be the magic that would put a bit of a thrill into Yonge and Dundas, and look what we got. What I don't see mentioned (ever) is the horror show that is visible at night time. Walking south, on the west side of Yonge, after dark, regard the view into the upper windows on Yonge when the interior lighting is on. It's just a mess. I can't see how the developers got away with this.

My solution is: start over!

My solution is: start over!

While that's my wish too, it will not happen. AMC has a lease that will take us into the next decade, and they're fully entitled to it -- they've spent millions building those cinemas.

The only way out of it, nearly happened: a fire. I'm not wishing ill on anybody's property (ok I am) but if the Empress Hotel had to burn, something good would have come out of it if the whole block had gone down with it.

The real world solution is to get an interior design budget (this building never had one!) and go to town. The shell is there, and the upper floor with the AMC, Jack Astor's and Milestones needs very little work. It's the common areas that need to be completely redone. Get creative with the ads on the outside and bring in some serious sponsors with permanent signage and both the interior design budget and beautification of the outside get solved.

Last edited:
Even a few years ago it was unimaginable to think we'd have all this development on Yonge St. To the left behind the camera will be 8 Gloucester, on the right is 5 St. Joseph. Farther down on the left will be 501 Yonge and across the street from that will be 460 Yonge. A little south will be Aura and the new Ryerson Building. And even more stuff north and south of all this. WOW!!!

yongebldgs.jpg

Back