News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Yonge/Bloor Intensification

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Living a few blocks away from Yonge & Bloor I'm amazed at the continuous onslaught of new towers. The map below shows all proposed and under construction towers at the moment. A total of 35 towers and I may have missed some. Personally I like the added energy these buildings are bringing to the neighbourhood and I'm already starting to see the effects of intensification. The houses on my street are routinely selling for around $1 million and rooming houses which dot the streets east of Yonge are being bought up and renovated into high end apartments. Sherbourne St. south of Bloor is undergoing an intense transformation that I don't think anyone could have predicted. I'm wondering where all the people that have traditionally occupied the cheaper housing in these areas will end up. It seems that anything west of the DVP is quickly becoming off limits unless you have a decent income.

ybmap.jpg

yes, it is kind of mind blowing and even more so for someone like yourself that lives in the area and knows the area so well. While its true that everyone needs a place to live, I'm hoping for continued gentrification. Walking some of the side streets east of Jarvis it's kind of scary to realize how much of it verges on slums!

p.s. - thanks for creating this map!

Wow, thats incredible! Those new scramble intersections at Yonge/Bloor and Bay/Bloor are going to be packed soon.
Downtown is moving North baby, and I like it

The view from the east - Danforth and Woodbine shows it even better than Danforth and Broadview does - is quite startling now.

For the longest time Yonge Street was especially disappointing along its major intersections but this is getting corrected. 1BE is underway; College / Gerrard's Aura; something at Lakeshore; but 1 Eglinton West is very exciting. I always found Eglinton to be incredibly dreary in all directions (except North). Even Minto's huge development was lost in a deadzone.

Sooo - my question is will the TTC office building running south of Eglinton on the West side of Yonge be torn down as part of city's sale of real estate? If so, and an outstanding development to compliment Minto went in, this intersection could become one of Toronto's most dynamic.

Years ago there were massing studies but nothing since.

Sooo - my question is will the TTC office building running south of Eglinton on the West side of Yonge be torn down as part of city's sale of real estate? If so, and an outstanding development to compliment Minto went in, this intersection could become one of Toronto's most dynamic.

When you say "TTC office building", you mean the 2180-2200 Yonge Canada Square complex? Seems a little too humongous and functional to be torn down--all the more so as it's a private development, even if it occupies TTC air rights. Unless you're confusing it with TTC HQ, which is one subway stop down at Davisville...

Right, I guess we're stuck with Canada Square. I haven't been up there in a while. I recall it presents an unfriendly face to Yonge.

Hopefully this growth will spread to St. Clair and Yonge as well. There was once a plan for 2 new 30-40 storey condos on the northeast corner, but I haven't heard anything in a while. Supposedly there were also plans to replace the old CHUM building with a 20-30 storey condo. As it stands, Yonge and St. Clair is majorly lacking in the younger demographic.

if Eglinton gets a new subway line, the area will really become the next Yorkville

It used to be called "Young and Eligible" in the late '80s - early '90s, so this would just be a return to its heyday.

I'm also thinking if Eglinton gets a new subway line, the area will really become the next Yorkville, including new luxury hotels, etc. Fairbanks will be the next BLO--white arty hipsters meets dying ethnic enclave, c.2030.

I don't think you'll be seeing many arty hipsters in this area with a new subway line. Homes on the side streets are pretty much already out of reach here... and in fact it's usually a LACK of transit and convenience that forms the early parts of gentrification (aka the arty hipster period). Think Parkdale or the Junction or even Liberty Village a few years ago. Or somewhere like Red Hook in New York. It was the fact that they were off the main transit corridor that made them affordable and hip. It's only when the second wave of gentrification shows up that all the condos and the push for subways etc. really starts. So I think Eglinton will skip that and go straight to rich family enclave.

Back