News   May 01, 2024
 196     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 747     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 427     0 

Wychwood Barns conversion project (Artscape, 1s, DTAH)

R

rdaner

Ontario backs artists with $3-million gift
Ex-TTC space to house studios, apartments
JEFF GRAY

A project that is turning an old streetcar repair shop into affordable studio and living spaces for Toronto artists will get a $3-million boost from the province today.

Culture Minister Caroline Di Cocco will announce the cash for the Wychwood Barns conversion project -- co-ordinated by the non-profit arts organization Artscape -- at a nearby public library this morning, sources say.

The planned $17.6-million retrofit will turn the old Toronto Transit Commission facility, near Christie Street and St. Clair Avenue, into the Green Arts Barns, with 26 live-work spaces for artists, art studios and an environmental greenhouse.

The provincial support for artists in Toronto comes amid increasing complaints that rising rents and property prices -- for which condominium development projects are often blamed -- are forcing artists out of once-affordable locations.

More National Stories
Are scientists evolving into climate crusaders?
A hard-working farmer with 'lots of friends'
B.C.'s brutal storms unearth a rocky treasure
Banff bound? Historic home could be yours for $10-million
Wary Tories launching TV ad blitz to rip Dion
'THAT MUSIC GOES STRAIGHT TO MY HEART'
Go to the National section
This month, Mayor David Miller, local artists and activists condemned a decision by a provincial tribunal to approve a high-rise project on Queen Street West -- over objections from city planners and local residents.

The Ontario Municipal Board approved several residential towers (between 14 and 19 storeys) near Queen Street West and Dufferin Street, an area known for art galleries and low-rent studios.

Activists in the Queen West fight welcomed word that Queen's Park is helping to create affordable space for artists in the city with the Wychwood Barns project, but said they hoped the government would help them out, too.

Charles Campbell, a lawyer involved with Active 18, a group that was part of the fight against the Queen Street development, said government help is needed to preserve more space for artists in the area, which has suffered a "body blow." One warehouse slated for demolition, he said, now has 80 live-work studios.

"I'm glad they're supporting the Wychwood project," Mr. Campbell said, "but here's a neighbourhood that's losing its artistic heart. And some money would help us."

Michelle Gay, whose art includes drawings and large installations, said she and other west-end artists, dismayed by rising costs, have contemplated leaving Toronto for Hamilton.

"That was really depressing, actually," Ms. Gay said. ". . . How many times do we have to move to another community?"

She said she was pleased to hear of support for the Wychwood project, but said more needs to be done to keep artists in the city, particularly when the city is boosting various arts events.

"We had the whole Live with Culture, the big Nuit Blanche. It seemed that the city officials, the elected officials, were really interested in what culture does for a city," she said.

"But that's presentation. Artists really need support living."

This is good news. If this long-anticipated project goes ahead, it should be more resistant to redevelopment than Queen West. I wonder if there will be any spill-over into the surrounding neighbourhood (art galleries along St. Clair, or event venues like the Drake or Gladstone?)

I'd hope so. Wychwood, of course, was an early version of Queen West at one point, so it's fitting. As well, the St. Clair strip could use gentrification - the thirift stores, crappy dollar stores, etc., really reflect that the street hasn't done so great lately. The ROW and this should give the area a shot in the arm. If rents go up, I have no problem of spreading this west either. Plus the class differences aren't so apparent as in Parkdale, so there will likely be less friction.

I find St. Clair West to be already very much on the upswing. The dollar stores seem to be vestiges of the old St. Clair. THe street's packed with good bakeries and other food shops.

TTC Hillcrest Yards LiveWork Project

came across this in today's Daily Commercial News, interesting heritage project at Bathurst and Davenport...

Heritage Preservation

Heritage site will seek LEED status

PATRICIA WILLIAMS
staff writer

Toronto’s Dalton Engineering & Construction Ltd. is helping to transform the Toronto Transit Commission’s historic Hillcrest streetcar repair barns into a multi-tenant arts and environmental centre.

The firm, which is no stranger to heritage preservation projects, is construction manager on the Green Arts Barns redevelopment, conceived and developed by Artscape in consultation with the local community.

Deemed a prime example of early 20th century industrial architecture, the former repair facility consists of five attached brick barns that range in length from 198 to 326 feet and in width from 38 to 44 feet.

The barns were built between 1913 and 1923. During their peak, they serviced 10 routes and 167 streetcars. The space has been largely unused since the mid 1980s.

“This facility is an icon,†says Carlo Osellame, Dalton’s project manager. “It’s a part of Toronto’s history. Bringing it back to life is probably the most exciting aspect of the project from my perspective.â€

The 61,000-square-foot project will combine heritage preservation with current best practices in green technologies and environmental management.

The Green Arts Barns redevelopment reportedly will be the first designated heritage site in the city to seek LEED certification.

The development will provide 26 live-work studios for artists and their families, 15 work-only studios, programming and office space for a dozen non-profit arts and environmental organizations, a rehearsal hall/workshop space and a greenhouse.

The estimated construction cost is $13 million.

Osellame, whose firm has been on site since early March, said one of the current challenges is maneuvering equipment when it rains. That’s because the existing barn roofs leak.

“When it rains, the site becomes a mud hole,†Osellame said.

A new roof is to be installed.

While the brick and concrete structure of the barns is being retained, the interiors are being gutted.

“We’re finding all sorts of hidden things,†Osellame said.

Thus far, the contractors have uncovered concrete heating duct banks in two of the barns.

They’ve also discovered walls sitting on concrete slabs, rather than the expected footings.

In keeping with the project’s green orientation, attention is being paid to re-use and recycling of materials, such as brick. Some exterior wood doors are being refurbished.

Artifacts, such as two streetcar axles, will be hung from the walls.

A rainwater collection and recycling system will be integrated into the barns. An underground geothermal heating and cooling system is being installed as well — a key element in the bid to win LEED certification.

Some 50 holes will be drilled in a grid pattern in the northwest corner of the site to accommodate the system.

As the holes are drilled, continuous loop pipes are installed. Holes will be between 200 and 400 feet deep.

Energy-efficient lighting technology is being incorporated as well.

“There is a real attempt being made to be environmentally responsible,†Osellame said.

Soil remediation has been completed.

Coneco Environmental Construction is slated to deliver more than 13,000 tonnes of clean fill to replace the soil that was removed from the barns.

The company donated labour, machinery and materials.

The Green Arts Barns project is scheduled to be completed within 12 months.

The team includes du Toit Architects Ltd., structural engineers Blackwell Bowick Partnership Ltd., mechanical/electrical engineers Stantec Consulting Ltd., landscape architects The Planning Partnership, heritage consultants E.R.A Architects Inc. and concrete restoration consultants, Gillespie Building Consultants Inc.

The barns are located at Wychwood and Benson avenues.

Isn't Hillcrest the TTC site on Bathurst south of Davenport? I think this thread should be called Wychwood TTC Barns Livework Project.

There was a short article in today's Globe about The Stop which is the organization doing the food and greenhouse component of the Wychwood Barns redevelopment. The ED said that they expected to be operational in the fall.

I got a staff briefing about the project a few weeks ago.

I could not believe how long the project took, 8+ years from what I recall! From what I recall, the major stumbling block was the issue of parking!

I do not believe that residents understand the scope and green innovation of the building. Its something to be really excited and proud of! Its going to be a beautiful building and great addition to the local community and the city. This exactly the type innovate local project the city needs more of!

Can't wait for it to officially open this September.

Louroz

I think this is REALLY interesting! I looked at some of the YouTube videos, and it looks like these units could be quite nice! How will they limit it to artists? Would you have to apply to buy one and prove you were an artist? What would prevent people from just buying here and speculating?

Back