News   Jul 17, 2024
 216     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 873     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 547     0 

Worst names for condo project

When it comes down to it, names don't mean a thing when it comes to sales. Look how quickly Beyond the Sea sold out, and by the crane already going up at Success Tower the sales must be pretty good. If you were to ask potential buyer what's the most important factor for purchasing a project they would probably say the location, price, the amenity, floor plan, features and builders reputation. I doubt anyone would say I bought it because it had such a cool name.

True enough. It's not like silly names are anything new either. There are residential buildings built between the 20s & 50s with such classy names as The Rosalind, The LaVerne, The Maxwell, The Gail. Hopefully, we won't have to witness condos with names like The Britney, The Lindsy, The Nicole or The Puff Daddy. I would have added The Paris to the list but since evocative place names have become so popular, it might be folly to do so.

Splendid China Tower has now a splendid outdoor market.

I'd like to see 'The Auspicious' proposed for the Scarborough Town Centre area, or possibly a condo at 8888 Yonge up in Richmond Hill called, naturally, 'The 8888.'

True enough. It's not like silly names are anything new either. There are residential buildings built between the 20s & 50s with such classy names as The Rosalind, The LaVerne, The Maxwell, The Gail.

The Max Gail?
Gail.jpg

It's not a condo - it's a small mall (a rejigged Canadian Tire, actually) located on Steeles east of Kennedy in Scarborough.

The Pinnacle Centre towers have started the construction process before substantial sales have been made - they have some different financing model for those buildings than most going up these days. Camrost's 9T6 is another one that went under construction before sales were announced (and another one that one could claim to have a silly name-take on its address).

'Success' may be called such to appeal to the Asian market. Maybe Asians made up a high percentage of buyers in the first two phases, so an effort was made to cater to them for this third phase.

At the sales office opening for X the Condo I asked Pat Baker about the name. She responded that condo names are nearly always dreamed up by marketing types, and nearly always forgotten once the residents move in and the address goes up on the door. They do try to get you in the door with the marketing scheme, but they know there's more to selling the condos than that.

The name 'Beyond The Sea' at least promised a lake view, and it seems to have worked beautifully for them. I like the name Mistral better myself, but that never project got past certain financing hurdles. There was another plan for that same site between Mistral and this one - Chrysalis - by an Edmonton developer named True North - which just didn't sell. No idea if the name was partly to blame, but Chrysalis does make the place sound somewhat giant-insect horror-film creepy.

Nothing worst then naming a condo after a postal code :rolleyes:

Can't they just find a god damn name instead of using a postal code?

A: Where do you live?
B: Oh, M4V condo.

Nothing worst then naming a condo after a postal code :rolleyes:

Can't they just find a god damn name instead of using a postal code?

A: Where do you live?
B: Oh, M4V condo.

I guess you're talking about the M5VLife condo at King St W and Peter St. Yeah that's pretty silly name, but having lived in that area for several years it's a great location for a condo project. I think KingWestLife would have been better name.

Future project names could make more use of Toronto "landmarks," and have names like Old Cummer View.

I guess you're talking about the M5VLife condo at King St W and Peter St. Yeah that's pretty silly name, but having lived in that area for several years it's a great location for a condo project. I think KingWestLife would have been better name.

Ya, anything but a postal code name. I like that condo though...the design and location are superb...only if that can be said about the condo name.

As for best names of new condos (I guess there are so few), I like Five Corners (Church and Front).

Well, as I've suggested before, the Alexus deserves credit for having a perfect XXX star's name...

I have no problem with naming a condo after a city like London on the Espalanade, or Murano/Burano.
Success Tower, however, I must agree is a horrible name.

I have a problem with London on the Esplanade. Where's the raised walkway by the seashore? You know, the esplanade?

P.S. The Gardiner doesn't count.

Back