News   Jul 15, 2024
 368     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 503     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Worst City?

This is an ugly thread.

For all those who are participating and naming off cities: the next time someone you challenge someone from the rest of Canada who says that Toronto is a boring city full of rich people who think they live at the center of the universe, just remember that you've lost the moral high ground you once had in that fight.

I'd gladly second Las Vegas. It had the potential to be so much more, but it's so badly laid out and such a pain in the ass to walk around in that I don't have any desire to go back. Cheap, tacky, hideous buildings everywhere, no culture to speak of, and nothing else to really redeem it

Mind you I've never been to Detroit, tho.

Vegas is slowly changing. I always hated Vegas because of the cheap tacky themed buildings like Circus Circus and Luxor, but on my last visit i was really impressed with some of the new complexes under construction like Cosmopolitan Hotel, Signature Towers, and the 7 billion dollar City Center complex, being build by by MGM Mirage and Dubai World. The buildings are designed by Pelli, Norman Foster,Helmut Jahn and Daniel Libeskind. Getting around Vegas is hell, there is some plans extend the monorail to the airport and eventually to the downtown which will make getting around Vegas a breeze.

Worst cities i have visited

Detroit!!
Buffalo
Rochester
Phoenix
Vegas
Houston

This is an ugly thread.

For all those who are participating and naming off cities: the next time someone you challenge someone from the rest of Canada who says that Toronto is a boring city full of rich people who think they live at the center of the universe, just remember that you've lost the moral high ground you once had in that fight.

Toronto

New Delhi is quite a disaster – a master-planned capital gone horribly wrong. Pollution like I have never seen before, extreme economic and social disparity, inadequate infrastructure and civic services, and parasitic sprawl that continues unabated as the urban population explodes.
Remember that India is still suffering from huge problems. You can't expect a city to be a haven from the country's problems, but it should instead be a representative of what's going on. I imagine that that view will change over time.

Interestingly enough, I actually think that a lot of Chinese cities seem like reasonable places to live. Guangzhou, Chengdu, Hong Kong and Shenyang are alright, and I only expect them to get better with each year. On the other hand, India and it's cities are at the bottom of my list for nice places to be, and the only reason I didn't put them in my list is because I wouldn't consider them "developed."

I agree with hipster duck. What exactly are we trying to prove, that we are a group of people with similar or dis-similar world-views and priorities? Everyone has their own objectives and interests and all they are trying to do in this world is realize some of these if they can.

What if you were a child, or elderly or sick or married with children or a teenage frat boy? How would this change your point of view on this subject?

I was at a wedding in the US a while back. There was a family who lives in Shanghai attending. They have their own business and are very successful and the city is booming around them, a place where billions are being spent on city building initiatives. Their beautiful little daughter loved chasing around some ducks in the park during our picnic. That is probably the first time in her entire life she could run around in a wide open park and chase ducks. So is Shanghai a great city or the epitome of hell on earth?

I love Detroit, but I'm biased because I grew up in its shadow.
I also really like Buffalo, there is some terrific architecture there, and some amazing parks too.

This is an ugly thread.

It really is an ugly thread, and it should be closed in my opinion.

It really is an ugly thread, and it should be closed in my opinion.

Honest to God, I hate these sort of comments. Clearly people are answering and justifying their opinions, so just carry on and ignore this thread if it doesn't pertain to you.

Everytime I make a thread that requires an opinion some buzzkill comes along and claims the question is "subjective" and therefore shouldn't even be posed. Everyone has different opinions, this is a discussion board and there is no right or wrong answers.

What is this North Korea? Just let people answer.

I actually don't think Buffalo is that bad. Sure, it has some huge problems with built form, but I wouldn't call it a bad place to be.

Las Vegas is kind of weird, and I really don't think I'd want to live there. Combine that with a "traditional" American, car and suburb-centric city and it could very well be mingling near the bottom of my list. But it's got a lot of potential to get better, and I hope they don't squander that opportunity.

Honest to God, I hate these sort of comments. Clearly people are answering and justifying their opinions, so just carry on and ignore this thread if it doesn't pertain to you.

Sure, except that you couldn't even answer the question yourself in the original post. ;)

Sure, except that you couldn't even answer the question yourself in the original post. ;)

Because I don't quite have an opinion. I haven't travelled much. I hear people critisize a lot of American cities on this board (such as Phoenix and Houston) so I made this thread to see which cities they disliked and why.

If you don't have an opinion, then I guess it's settled. Off you go.

...Toronto is the only city where I plan to live, rather than visit, work, travel, etc.

Can't say the same, lived in Kingston (22 yrs), Cornwall (can only remember my bedroom :p), Charlottetown (1yr), Toronto (19 yrs), Chicago (1yr), San Diego (1yr), London ENG (1yr), and in 33 days..... Bangkok.

Can't say the same, lived in Kingston (22 yrs), Cornwall (can only remember my bedroom :p), Charlottetown (1yr), Toronto (19 yrs), Chicago (1yr), San Diego (1yr), London ENG (1yr), and in 33 days..... Bangkok.
How did you find London, San Diego and Chicago?

How did you find London, San Diego and Chicago?

Each has their pluses (in their own ways), of the three - I would have to say I liked San Diego the best (moderate climate) - great lifestyle - loved going just drinking my morning coffee on the beach.

Chicago, although a relatively good city in the US, was too close to Toronto in some ways - yet lacked the diversity - and the food in Toronto is generally much better (I find I actually find myself ranking cities on their food - Although I like Chicago style hot dogs [mustard, florescent green relish, wedge of dill pickle, celery salt, tomato, sport pepper, BUT NEVER EVER KETCHUP].

I found I liked visiting London, living not as much - but I liked being able to easily visit France (lived 5 minutes from Waterloo - which at that time was the station used for Eurostar trains), found some other things really annoying (like hours of stores, pubs [although that has apparently changed]). I was living just across the river from Big Ben, nice location. I loved the Brick Lane area (Curry mile) for dinner.... found the cost annoying (even though I was not paying - it was still annoying). Theatre was outstanding. Probably the 1 1/2 hour commute each way probably coloured the experience - I rented the place and the work address for my office changed one month afterwards - prefer the downtown and was trying to locate near a rail line that took me directly to work - but that did not work out well after that first month - still would not have been able to live in the boonies though.... prefer cities - downtown for living (and working).

Each city was good in it's own way - it really depends on your lifestyle - and if it meshes with it.

Back