News   May 03, 2024
 294     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 266     0 

Wilshire on the Green Condos (Norstar Group) - Real Estate -

Hey folks,

I made my upgrade selections last week and I must say that the prices are alsolutely insane. On top to this, you can only add it to the mortgage if the total for the upgrades exceeds $5K. In addition to some of the prices already posted in the thread, here are some big ticket items:
- Soaker tub - $2,500 approx
- Smooth ceilings - $2,500 approx
- Hardwood - engineered is the highest upgrade - not soild hardwood: $10K for 700 s.f.

There is also a $500 fee to have the water line installed if you intend to have a fridge with water/ice dispenser. Think about this one carefully. The dimensions of your space for the fridge is already set, hence the standard side-by-fridges many not fit your space. You may need non-standard sized fridges with the water/ice dispensers. This could translate into high prices for the upgrade at the appliance store.

I picked my finishes yesterday with Jana who was very nice. I was quoted $4k for smooth ceilings (850 sqft) which I thought was absolutely ridiculous so again I will try to figure it out how i can do it myselft. One other note, I want glass backsplash in the kitchen, however I'm not going to pay the $1600 they quoted me, so I asked if they could not install anything, they said they could but no rebate. For me it was worth it anyway.

for those that keep complaining about the closing/hidden costs, i would assume you are a first time buyer?. For those who have bought pre-con before, closing costs usually end up around ~$6-$15k depending on the size of you condo.

This is a no-frills kinda of condo and the price point also reflects that ...... i think it looks decent for what it is but that's coming in with very low expectations.

Hi Mango3,

Hope u are well.

I think u have already signed ur agreement but someone below mentioned about the levy charges that are upto $7500. I dont know if u already have or if u still can but that amount should be capped off at a lower amount. We did not get much of the upgrades either just stuck with the basics and we'll do the rest after a while. People suggested us not to get paint done with the builder as this is a new building some cracks may appear as the buidling sets in over a year or two..we were asked to do the minimum for now.

Our selection process was good and Yana was very helpful. BTW....our luxurious bathroom doesnt come with a glass enclosure...i dunno why the hell its called luxurious but a heads up for those who have that on ur plan.

Hi everyone ...

I have to say I went fo rmy colors/upgrades and it was very positive experience ...

Yanna explained the standard colour selections, which assisted me in a big way - to actually see different colour selections together in a groups - and I have no problem paying the $100 to change between the laminate or tile selections between color selections/groups .

Glad to see this thred is growing since I checked last time.

I've picked my upgrades, as for upgrades, most of them are the same or more than retail price, it seems that they do not take the standard item's price off the upgrade as they claim they do, I found the standard item's pricing with the upgrade, they all same or more expensive than retail price. When I ask why the price is more expensive or the same as the item sold in stores, Leslie replie to me that the builder need to make money off it, as well as installation. This is kind of strange, with standard, we don't have to pay anything, installation is include, and for upgrade, we have to pay extra for the item, as well as installation? They have a lot of things they don't want to tell buyer and try to rush you into signing it, cause after you give clear thinking about it, you often would make better choice which will cause them make less money.

They give me a feel that "you're signed, you can't get away from it, so our service to you is not relevent as you're already a fish in our net". I saw a poor guy reveive very bad service and offer no information when he said that he have no money for upgrade, so he gonna go with standard, but he want to know more regarding each options.

I was told that the bathroom toilet is the new bigger and modern one as shown on the plan, however I found out at picking my upgrade, that it is not the case.

I was trying to make sure that all my rooms have enough power/data/phone outlet, so I try to find out from sales office, and I couldn't get anything, so I go talk to one of the engineer, and he was surprised that they couldn't give me any information. Thankfully he verified that I have what I needed in all my rooms, but he mentioned that if your wiring is on the concrete side of the wall, you couldn't add any more outlet, same reason as what they give for the ceiling light box.

My lawyer who looked through the agreement said that the cap of levy charge $7500 is normal for a condo purchase. I'm not sure if my lawyer is a good on or not but he never mention i should cap it to a lower amount.

Anyways, I'm on 5th floor and great to see all of you here, we'll probably meet in real person when wel all moved in.

Hi Marco,

Welcome back - thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I don't know if you were able to find out from either the engineer or the sales office as to which tv provider we will be dealing with? I was told Rogers, but I wasn't so confident with their answer.

The second stage now is to go to the appliance centre, which I haven't done yet. I hope it will be a smooth process, as I do not intend to upgrade on anything. If something breaks, I may be better off buying something else that's both a) better and b) on sale.

Cheers!

OMG! This forum was such a lucky find! I have purchased a unit in this building and I am very unhappy with the customer service that has been provided to me by Karen from Norstar. I have had several issues crop up during the last few months since I was able to choose my upgrades.

1) When I signed my agreement I was told that I would be able to switch the layout of my 2 bathrooms when I was called in for upgrades. Not so. Apparently the sales people were supposed to include that in my agreement at the time of selling but that's not what they told me.
2) I was told that the raised breakfast bar in the MODEL KITCHEN was available as an upgrade. Not so initially. I had to wait almost 2 months for them to get back to me with a price. Hello! It was in the MODEL KITCHEN in the sales office. How can they not know how much it costs to upgrade?
3) I was told I could upgrade my bedroom lights to ceiling caps instead of switch outlets. I even signed for this one. Not so again! But nobody called me to tell me. As a matter of fact, I only found out when I called Karen to yell at her about her lousy customer service and inability to get in conact with me in a timely manner.
4) Upgrading to hard wood floor would cost $13,500! Obviously, I forewent that option as it is highway robbery.
There are other issues too but these are the main ones.

I have had repeated phone conversations with Karen in which she is curt, rude and otherwise unhelpful even when issues are the fault of Norstar. Lack of communication between all staff has been astounding and has resulted in several problems which I am expected to eat. I absolutely refuse to do so. If anyone else on this forum has experienced similar treatment then I suggest that we rally together because approaching Norstar individually (at least for me) has proven largely fruitless and I don't think their treatment of us is fair. Please let me know if you feel the same!

Welcome Bloomingsmurf!!!
Unfortunately, we are all going through various problems with Norstar. The people in the office are not communicating with the sales people or maybe they are and all this is a selling ploy that they use. Either way, I have never heard of so many problems that "we" (so far whomever has been brave enough to voice their opinion on this amazing site) have been having. I have friends that have also purchased "pre-construction" condos and had not had as many problems that we seem to be encountering. I guess the rest is left to be seen. lol

Thanks Mango!
I was so happy to find that there is a place for all of us future neighbours to vent! Luckily, I happen to know one of my neighbours through sheer coincidence and have been able to see that I am not the only person who has had difficulty with this company.

I suggest that we ban together somehow (either through writing letters to the president of Norstar, contacting the personal finance and consumer issues person at the Toronto Star or going to the Norstar office in person and asking to speak to someone as a team). I have also known people who've purchased pre-construction and there is not usually such a lack of communication or customer service. I just don't think it should be tolerated because it's not right.

Hi everyone,

As our occupancy dates are fast approaching us in 2011, I found some good information to help us with the Pre-Delivery Inspection, or, "PDI". The info was found on this very Urban Toronto site:

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?6283-Condo-Closing-Rules-Change

Here's the valuable info:

===================================================================================================
Pre-Delivery Inspection is important before you move in

There is a critical first step all new home buyers in Ontario must take when a new home is ready for occupancy: the Pre-Delivery Inspection or PDI. Much more than just a quick tour, the PDI represents the first opportunity for buyers to view their home in its completed state and thoroughly assess its condition.

All builders of new homes and condominiums in Ontario are required by Tarion Warranty Corporation to conduct a PDI with their customers prior to a home’s date of possession. Tarion is a private corporation that protects home buyers accordin g to the terms of the Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act, which requires that builders provide warranty coverage on every new home built in the province.

“The PDI is an important starting-off point in the new home warranty process,” according to Carol Metcalfe, Manager of Claims at Tarion. “Most builders are committed to constructing a quality product, but today’s new homes are large and complex, made up of many different systems and components. The PDI therefore provides homeowners with a prime opportunity for assessing a home’s overall workmanship and features.”

The PDI takes place when your new home is ready for occupancy, making it the first opportunity to view your completed home and assess its condition before you take possession. During the PDI, you and/or an individual you select to attend (your designate) will be given the opportunity to examine the interior and exterior of the home with your builder or your builder’s representative present. The objective of this inspection is to make a written record of all items that are incomplete, damaged, missing, inaccessible or not operating properly.

It is the builder’s responsibility to explain how the various systems in your home work – including the heating, electrical, plumbing and air conditioning – thus making the PDI a good opportunity for your builder to go through them with you. It is very important that you understand how to operate your home’s systems because not using them properly could affect your warranty coverage.

During the PDI, homeowners should carefully examine the home both inside and out. While inside, they should look for things like chips brickwork and siding, whether window screens have been installed, and the appearance of the driveway and landscaping.

Additional information on the PDI, including a complete list of things to look for during the inspection, can be found in ‘Getting Ready for the Pre-Delivery Inspection,’ a brochure produced by Tarion. Copies can be obtained by calling 1-877-9TARION or downloaded from the website at www.tarion.com. - NC

http://www.newhomesandcondos.com/mod...DATE=3/31/2008

======================================================================================================

Cheers!

Thanks Nels_TO,

I believe that I saw 2 TV flyers in the building, however I might just stick with internet TV as I don't watch TVthat often, and doesn't like to flip trough channels. If you're interested in setting up entertainment system connected to computer I might be able to help a bit :)

I already choose my appliances, it wasn't as bad as dealing with Leslie and Karen, but again I won't know until they actually deliver it in good condition, some bad comments regarding appliance canada kind of make me worried, but after going to their showroom, the number of complaint compare to teir size and customers I'll say it is inevitable.

the price I found is decent, but feels like my standard appliance cost almost nothing (total saving about 500 dollars saving as compared to their advertised price with saving) and plus free delivery. However I found that their price is actually better than sale price.

Last edited:
Hi Bloomingsmurf,

I actually have similiar experiance with you, their service after you "signed" the contract absolutely sucks, they treat you as a fish already in the net. One lesson learned, write everything in the contract as what you want, as detail as possible, don't take their word as "yeah, the'll include that" or "yeah, it is standard" if it doesn't listed on the contract.

I have hard time contact Leslie and Karen, even left a voice mail and without respond. I picked an upgrade and ask Leslie to tell Karen right away to make sure they can install it, and after I signed for the upgrade, they inform me after 10 days that it is too late (I guess this is their "right away").

Leslie treated badly to at least one other unit owner who doesn't choose upgrade. All questions asked, even regarding standard stuff, are not answered or ignored. Leslie actually try to add the included laminate on all floor except kitchen into my upgrade, although it is written specifically in my agreement that it is "included". I should've draw the ceiling light wiring in my floor plan so they can't get away with it (or I could cancel my contract without penality)

PDI Date Set

Hi,
I received a letter yesterday from Norstar giving me a date for my PDI (January 31st).

I went searching online for tips on getting the PDI done properly, and I found this very informative link:

http://www.realestatehelpdesk.ca/2009/12/new-condo-pdi/

There are some excellent tips in this article. The one that I wouldn't ever have thought of was to bring an electrical circuit tester - this tool tests if the outlet is working properly and wired with the proper polarity. Bring "Post-It" sticky notes with you, it advises, as when you go through your condo unit, stick a post-it note on the deficient area, as a reminder that you need to include it on the PDI deficiencies form.

Also, I STRONGLY recommend that we all download and review the "Homeowner Information Package" from the Tarion website BEFORE we go to our PDIs, because the package helps to break down what a PDI is, what should be included, and what to do within 30 days, 1 year and 2 years of your occupancy / possession date. I believe legally, every builder is supposed to provide us with this package, but it would be of lesser use if we get it AFTER we conduct our PDI, wouldn't it? Did anyone receive theirs at the time of purchase? I certainly didn't.

Here's the link, and scroll down to the section "30-Day Statutory Warranty Form" and click on 'homeowner information package' .

http://www.tarion.com/HOME/Resource+Centre/Forms/

If we educate ourselves with this information, we'll all be much better prepared for the PDI, which will be our first opportunity to list every deficiency we find, and to ensure that they properly install our upgrades that we paid for, and the finishings described in our agreements.

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

Last edited:
Thanks Nels_TO,

On the PDI date I'll sure to have my camera with me to take a picture of everything, maybe take a short video of it as well. Are we expected to test if the power has been wired properly? Or they have tools that can test?? Do we need to hire anyone for PDI? Or we can do it ourself if we know what to look for.

I do not want to find out any wiring issue after moved in and have to contact them again to fix it, not mentioned that it'll have potential to damage your electronics.

Hi Marco,

I'll be video recording the entire process myself, and I'll ask my wife to take pictures of the deficiencies as we go along.

During the PDI, the building rep is supposed to take us through all the mechanical components of the suite, like plumbing, heating and electrical. The circuit tester, in my opinion, is to help verify that each outlet is in proper working order. If it isn't, note that on the deficiencies form, so that it will be fixed by the time you actually move in. This form will be sent to Tarion, so they'll have a record of the list of deficiencies at the time of the PDI. I would also flush every toilet, and turn on each faucet, testing both hot & cold water. If something is not working, include it in the form. You can buy a circuit tester for under 10 bucks at Home Depot / Canadian Tire, etc.

As for bringing in someone for your PDI, that's your personal call - it'll cost $ for an inspector, but it'll likely be worth it, since he'll be working for you, and he' s a pro. I'm hoping my real estate broker will be able to accompany us, to bring his expertise along.

I'll be sure to post pictures of our unit from our PDI to share with everyone.

You're welcome. Mango, and thanks for the update. We're also facing the back, so your observations give us some perspective on the exterior view we'll have.

I wonder what the earliest occupancy dates are, so we can estimate the final closing / registration dates, and how long we'll have to pay the builder the occupancy fees...

Back