News   Jun 25, 2024
 524     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 627     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Why the Hate for Mississauga?

Coming tax hikes, and the impact of gas prices on your auto-centric lifestyle will cure you of your enthusiasm.

I do agree that Mississauga does need to revamp all of the major roads (Hurontario/Burnhamthorpe/Dundas/Eglinton/Derry/Dixie) to more pedestrian-friendly routes. Yes, Mississauga is still auto-dominated city, with cookie-cutter houses surrounding SQ1/Cooksville/Streetsville/Port Credit/Clarkson, but the housing prices are still reasonable here as opposed to T-Dot. Wide roads will be beneficial for growing constructions in the short term: and later intensification and a future LRT addition in the long term. And no, I don't drive or live in a large cookie-cutter suburban home. Plus, Mississauga downtown is developing with radical designs, and BRT/LRT system should be all implemented in time for the tax here to approach to near Toronto-levels.

That said I don't think it's a 'hate' for Mississauga in so far as it is a reaction for all their talk over the years. We keep hearing about how they are the fiscally 'responsible' city (where a good chunk of residents work in the 416 and they have a steady stream of developers cash). We keep hearing about how the lifestyle was better because housing was cheaper and you had nice wide roads.

Nothing new or radical has ever been developed to transform the Jane Strip into Yonge-Finch-alike areas. Even at 2010, 5, 10 and more years later not much would change in T-Dot unless your new mayor is not another Miller or Lastman (probably another part of Lastman-Miller-your future mayor trilogy). Toronto is never going to come close to a New York model in such a short time. Although it is great to see the proposed Transit City plan as well as subway extensions, no start of construction is being done to this date. And it is to be completed in 15 years at estimated $17.5 billion?!!? It sure is a fast-paced construction at reasonable costs. What happened to the DRL and Queen Subway proposal? Eglinton subway? All these should have been established by now, and instead there is Sheppard subway that is not even half-done to "Scompton" Town Centre.

It is grateful to see Toronto being awarded a right to host 2015 Pan-American Games and receive some recognition as well.

But will the city be ready to prepare on time for the games?

Is transit services going to be approaching to European standards (or even adopt a bit to HK/Tokyo/Seoul standards? Not likely, for another decades)

Bike-friendly as Montreal?

Or even having an ambition of becoming green-city as Vancouver is planning to be? And I don't think I have to mention Mel Lastman's comments during the bid for 2008 Olympic games.

Sorry if I feel I am ranting too far, but don't think that I am bashing Toronto with passion; I know the city will do the job, but if you Torontonian feel that your city is planning far ahead in role model as a sustainable city, think again. Toronto is slowly starting to go into a right direction, but not at steady pace. They need to speed up and put more money and time into their own infrastructure. Meanwhile, if Mississauga is sitting in a shadow of Toronto, how is the city planning well ahead faster than T-Dot? How is it that Sauga is planning to have a LRT system on the similar timeline as Toronto? I thought Sauga will be years behind Toronto in following the suit, but in reality it isn't too far.

Now all that is coming to an end and Torontonians are probably engaging in a bit of Schadenfreude. We Torontonians, need our model validated and we felt a little insecure all those years and Mississauga revelled in the limelight.

And speaking of "Schadenfreude", Sauga has grown with its own plan rather than at an expense of Toronto. Looking at Toronto's own history, their subway plans and downtown revitalization are all being foiled. What then-would-be Toronto is better than what Toronto is now, so far.

Is it that all Torontonians are egomaniac?

We Torontonians, need our model validated and we felt a little insecure all those years and Mississauga revelled in the limelight.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

That is surely one of the most bizarre statements ever on UT....

One interesting observation re UT: lots of born'n'bred Mississaugans sticking up for their turf, yet who's doing likewise for Brampton, Vaughan, Markham, etc? After all, there must be people growing up in *those* realms who might morph UTward.

Maybe a cue should be taken from ShonTron re Brampton: neither "this place is on top of the world!" nor "this place is the end of the world!", but balanced, measured, non-parochial and with a view to the bigger picture...

One interesting observation re UT: lots of born'n'bred Mississaugans sticking up for their turf, yet who's doing likewise for Brampton, Vaughan, Markham, etc? After all, there must be people growing up in *those* realms who might morph UTward.

Maybe a cue should be taken from ShonTron re Brampton: neither "this place is on top of the world!" nor "this place is the end of the world!", but balanced, measured, non-parochial and with a view to the bigger picture...

Right, but the viewpoint toward Mississauga seems more closer to that of Toronto than the rest of 905. While the York regions, Brampton today seems like 90's Mississauga, eventually all of the GTA will have to face same criticism as those toward Toronto...

Then again, I still see FOX news as more "balanced" than your defensive comment about Toronto. Truthfully neither Sauga or T.O. is the greatest of all Canadian cities, but mostly it is based on resident's prereference.

I don't think you understand the whole 'per capita' bit.

Well, just because it is "per capita" doesn't mean much considering how underdeveloped MCC is compared to downtown Toronto.

Just because a measure has been normalized in some way doesn't mean that just any comparison will make sense.

There are two articles that the powers-that-be in Mississauga (and the rest of the 904 and 416 for that matter) to look at.

Current road designs seem to be for ease of traffic flow, not the pedestrian. See this link on Dangerous by Design. This list from the article, lists the most dangerous cities for walking in the United States:
Rank "Metropolitan Area" "Danger Index"
  1. Orlando-Kissimmee, FL 221.5
  2. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 205.5
  3. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL 181.2
  4. Jacksonville, FL 157.4
  5. Memphis, TN-MS-AR 137.7
  6. Raleigh-Cary, NC 128.6
  7. Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN 114.8
  8. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX 112.4
  9. Birmingham-Hoover, AL 110.0
  10. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA 108.3

Another article can be seen at this link on how the U.S. (and for that matter, Canada) is busy building for the infrastructure but not for people.

Right, but the viewpoint toward Mississauga seems more closer to that of Toronto than the rest of 905. While the York regions, Brampton today seems like 90's Mississauga, eventually all of the GTA will have to face same criticism as those toward Toronto...

Having grown up in Brampton I don't think it is, today, like 90's Mississauga and I think it is simply because it had a histroical (and for most of the past 40 years, histerical) core.

Yes Brampton, as with all sprawly burbs, has those sprawl issues but if its "city centre" ever took off it would not have the same pedestrian/transit issues that seem to bother people about Mississauga.

The controversy around Mississauga seems to be a debate over the abitrary selection of the area we call MCC as, well, MCC and how those plans were developed/unrolled. (you know the "streets too wide, centred around a mall, poor transit links" comments).

I can't speak for the other centres you mention but Brampton has a much more "traditional" urban core (albeit incredibly small relative to the size of the city) with narrow walkable streets, storefronts/restaraunts with apartments above, libraries and theatres and a transit hub with an inter city bus and train "depot" right in the heart of it.

The shame that I sense in Brampton is that so many people live in the non-core parts of town that dominate the city is that they have actually come to think of the sprawlly 'hoods as good planning and the core as an inconvenient traffic nightmare to be avoided.....city council is working hard to fight that image but only time (and better GO service and more high rise condos) will see them win.!

Having grown up in Brampton I don't think it is, today, like 90's Mississauga and I think it is simply because it had a histroical (and for most of the past 40 years, histerical) core.

Yes Brampton, as with all sprawly burbs, has those sprawl issues but if its "city centre" ever took off it would not have the same pedestrian/transit issues that seem to bother people about Mississauga.

The controversy around Mississauga seems to be a debate over the abitrary selection of the area we call MCC as, well, MCC and how those plans were developed/unrolled. (you know the "streets too wide, centred around a mall, poor transit links" comments).

I can't speak for the other centres you mention but Brampton has a much more "traditional" urban core (albeit incredibly small relative to the size of the city) with narrow walkable streets, storefronts/restaraunts with apartments above, libraries and theatres and a transit hub with an inter city bus and train "depot" right in the heart of it.

The shame that I sense in Brampton is that so many people live in the non-core parts of town that dominate the city is that they have actually come to think of the sprawlly 'hoods as good planning and the core as an inconvenient traffic nightmare to be avoided.....city council is working hard to fight that image but only time (and better GO service and more high rise condos) will see them win.!

If Peel Region were to ever amalgamate into one city (akin to Toronto), the downtown of Peel would be in old Brampton.

If Peel Region were to ever amalgamate into one city (akin to Toronto), the downtown of Peel would be in old Brampton.

Not in a million years; Sauga is more likely to separate from rest of Peel and become its own municipality than all merging into one. And I don't think Caledonians would want to see their country town fusing with Sauga and Brampton.

Then again, I still see FOX news as more "balanced" than your defensive comment about Toronto. Truthfully neither Sauga or T.O. is the greatest of all Canadian cities, but mostly it is based on resident's prereference.

Well, duh, but maybe it's also a measure of the resident doing the judging. After all, even Fox News portrays itself as more "fair and balanced" than, say, NPR ("fair and balanced" being a euphemism for "doesn't sneer at or disregard mouth-breathing cretins", etc)

As I see it, a truly urban-cosmopolitan judgment wouldn't even bother with these kinds of Toronto vs Mississauga arguments, especially if they're so excessively defined by saccharine, insipid "this is where I live, this is home" parameters. By such standards, even I, as a Torontonian, can run rings around most Mississaugans (never mind Torontonians) in creatively appreciating (never mind denigrating) what Mississauga has to offer--against a bigger, broader, more universal tableau, of course...

Come guys, let's be real. Brampton is already so amazingly centralized, there is no need for a competing downtown in Peel Region, especially one that detracts the dense walking, biking, and transit paradise that is inner city Brampton.

Remember, roads in Mississauga are mostly only used to get onto highways. Now I see why Mississauga is such a failure: it just can't escape the dominating influences of downtown Brampton and downtown Toronto. I mean, clearly, nobody in Mississauga actually goes to Mississauga City Centre, or any place in Mississauga for that matter, they only pass through to get to some further off destination outside of Mississauga.

Perhaps amalgamating Mississauga with a more urban, less car-dependent neighbouring municipality such as Brampton is the only hope.

Last edited:

Back