News   Jun 25, 2024
 729     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 728     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Why the Hate for Mississauga?

You know that most of Toronto live in typical residential housing with front yards and backyards too right? Not everyone in Toronto lives downtown.
Your sense of irony seems very poor ...

Why would kids play in a downtown Mississauga area which is government buildings and a shipping mall nearby. Small kids should play safely in parks or on their own property.
Oh, your bullshitting me again ... I know there are condos in that area. And I'm quite convinced there is no shipping nearby.

I'm not American. I'm Canadian. But even if I was American, why should that matter. What do you have against people south of the border?
Well for one, the global recession. Two, the war. Three, they can't spell.

Gimme a break. I don't live downtown and I've seen this many many times.
If your experience of downtown parks is limited to Moss Park, Nathan Phillip Square, and Allen Gardens perhaps ... but I wonder why you hang out in those parks! :)

Did you now that if you walk along that same street (towards your screen exactly 1 block) , you will get grass along the street.
Those are on private property, outside of the street right-of-way.

Oh, your bullshitting me again ... I know there are condos in that area. And I'm quite convinced there is no shipping nearby.

Well for one, the global recession. Two, the war. Three, they can't spell.

If you're going to resort to silly forum antics like being anti-American or nitpicking people's spelling, at least back it up yourself.

Stay on topic.

In downtown areas, space is basically used up. Any kind of significant overhaul for space usage means things are torn down to make extra room. Good example of space usage, at Mavis/Eglinton all the way up to Mavis/Britannia, they had construction on the east side of Mavis. They added an extra car lane (expanding to 3 lanes going north) while not interfering with the 2 north lanes already there. They simply used up some extra space along the side of the road. No problem.

Do you understand that some Torontonians consider it to be a good thing that they don't have to cross 6 lanes of high-speed traffic, and ugly parking lots, to walk anywhere?

If you're going to resort to silly forum antics like being anti-American or nitpicking people's spelling, at least back it up yourself.
Are you as devoid of humour as your are of any understanding of planning? I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the war ... they always tell you not to mention the war ...

hockeybuddy - just stop - please.

You're not making any points about Mississauga that actually dispute the "hate for Mississauga" that this thread is about. If anything, you are feeding those who have come into this thread specifically to take potshots at the city by making weak/wrong arguments that are not only weakening the Mississauga supporters here, but actually opening yourself to mocking.

Do you understand that some Torontonians consider it to be a good thing that they don't have to cross 6 lanes of high-speed traffic, and ugly parking lots, to walk anywhere?
Wait - so you mean University Ave has only 2 lanes and no boulevard down the center? Avenue Road? Sections of Yonge, or Front St, or Bloor, etc? Outside of Toronto... Broadway, Amsterdam, Park Ave... ?

And don't kid yourself - if there was room - Toronto would have expanded many of the city's main streets to 6 lanes a long time ago. It didn't - which you consider a good thing (pat yourself on the back for that one) - but expecting Mississauga to follow the same growth curve and development patterns is a bit ridiculous. Hurontario may slice through the middle of Mississauga but it is in no way a "Main Street" Mississauga in the way that you expect it to be. It has always been a primary north-south thoroughfare since the highways run primarily east-west.

You have a point about parking lots, but in a city only a few decades old with lots of space to grow, did you really expect them to build like Yonge & Dundas? There have been A LOT of parking lots in Toronto that became condos, offices, etc... Mississauga is now becoming 'filled' enough that it is starting to infill and grow upwards. All cities follow this evolution - it's the smug, patronizing attitude of this who live elsewhere that is in question and you seem happy to make yourself a gleaming example.

Wait - so you mean University Ave has only 2 lanes and no boulevard down the center? Avenue Road? Sections of Yonge, or Front St, or Bloor, etc?
Some of these streets are overly wide, but they are rarely fast.

Regardless, you have missed the point entirely. In Mississauga, under any circumstance, to walk from a dwelling to almost any point of interest at all would involve walking across parking lots and wide, high-speed arterials. In Downtown Toronto this is exceptional (e.g. crossing Lakeshore Blvd).

I realize that some people don't mind it, which is why I said some Torontonians. I do believe this is one of the reasons why land value in downtown Toronto is higher than anywhere else in Toronto: the pedestrian friendly environment contributes to desirability.

Outside of Toronto... Broadway, Amsterdam, Park Ave... ?
Are you aware that Broadway has recently been narrowed, and in Times Square closed entirely to vehicles? So much for that one.

And don't kid yourself - if there was room - Toronto would have expanded many of the city's main streets to 6 lanes a long time ago. It didn't - which you consider a good thing (pat yourself on the back for that one) - but expecting Mississauga to follow the same growth curve and development patterns is a bit ridiculous. Hurontario may slice through the middle of Mississauga but it is in no way a "Main Street" Mississauga in the way that you expect it to be. It has always been a primary north-south thoroughfare since the highways run primarily east-west.

Yes, I am aware of all this. I was only pointing out to hockey that there are benefits of narrow roadways, which he seemed to be oblivious to.

Man, sorry guys I have been busy. It is a pain to go though all this, but I will try my best.

You realize, right, that the reason MCC is so spread out and sparse is because the original designers never thought that future transportation would involve anything but cars.

There are no original designers of MCC. MCC is not something that was built all at once, you should know this. It is not even near "completion." The concept of MCC has evolved over time and MCC itself has evolved over time.

The earliest buildings date back from the 50's and designs of buildings since then vary wildly. But I see very little evidence of any attempt to discourage pedestrians in MCC. And only a couple of buildings seem designed solely for the car. Even Square One itself has had pedestrian access improved over the years.

If you want to see a place in Mississauga designed solely for the car, try Heartland. It is horrible.

I never said that Hurontario is equivalent to Hwy 401. It's not.

You said it is as bad as a 400-series highway. And, yes, the 401 is a 400-series highway.

Haven't we already concluded that Downtown Mississauga was built in perhaps the least transit friendly way possible?

How so? You still have said nothing true to support this.

Haven't we already concluded that Downtown Mississauga was built in perhaps the least transit friendly way possible?

You don't even know what transit friendly means since you singled out Hurontario is being unfit for transit. Again, the highest ridership in the 905, the most efficient the GTA, despite no connection to the TTC. Need I say more?

The very problem with it is design mistakes like putting enormous empty spaces between developments

Buildings in MCC are not spaced-out, let alone deliberately so. Stop spreading these lies. Look at the conceptual model for a "completed" MCC in City Hall and tell me if you still really think that the city wants buildings to be widely-spaced apart.

Just look at the Widesuites development and the tiny space it occupies. They have to close off the street just build it! Enormous spaces, eh?

Really? In those empty fields? I have no doubt a lot of people get on and off in the Eglinton area, and at the Terminal inside Square One, but really, you're telling me the empty field in the photo is a heavily used bus stop??

That empty field is not served by the 19 (and even if it was it means nothing because it is a small part of the corridor).

I will repeat again. Every stop along the 19 between Bristol and the QEW is heavily used. It is as simple as that.

I was talking about the overall usage of Hurontario by all modes, not just bus. The bus rider makes up only a small fraction of the users of this road.

Wow, so you are basically saying that the bus is the dominating mode of transport for short-distance travel along Hurontario? C'mon, lets get real here. This is the suburbs.

It is far more likely that the bus represents just a small fraction of the total local traffic volume along Hurontario, just like any other corridor in the 905. And since Hurontario has the highest volume of local bus traffic in the 905, and it is likely to have highest volume of local car traffic as well. Long-distance travel by car along Hurontario is not nearly as prevalent as you claim.

Again, as I said, if Hurontario was a regional corridor, the demand for local bus services would be very low. Demand for Mississauga Transit overall would be very low as well, if so many people had to cross borders to get to work. Mississauga Transit would not have 2 or 2.5 times the transit ridership per capita of Brampton or York Region if long distance commutes were as prevalant.

But I am glad you bring up this concept of distance though, because minimizing distances is the key to a truly urban environment. Not just the straight-line distance but also the effective distance, which takes into account obstacles to walking, i.e the actual distance walked. When people talk about increasing density, or encouraging mixed uses, or improving "permeability", they are actually talking about the reductions in euclidean and effective distances between places for walking, biking, and transit. Because no matter how aesthetically pleasing a place is, if the distances are too far, walking, transit, and biking becoming impossible. And therefore small distances are essential for a truly urban environment.

And obviously Mississauga has had more success with reducing distances than the rest of the 905. And Phoenix too for that matter.

Don't you folks get tired of this very boring, endless conversation? the same old stereotypes trotted out ad nauseum against Mississauga ....

In Mississauga, under any circumstance, to walk from a dwelling to almost any point of interest at all would involve walking across parking lots and wide, high-speed arterials.

not true...from where I now live, in the Square 1 area, I can walk to everything from a polish bakery to a lawyer's office, an Indian restaurant or a Tim Horton's, without crossing any major streets or parking lots....maybe you need to get out more, kettal...the core area of Missisauga is rapidly changing..

I could walk to the grocery store, but I choose to drive, can't stand lugging the bags...

not true...from where I now live, in the Square 1 area, I can walk to everything from a polish bakery to a lawyer's office, an Indian restaurant or a Tim Horton's, without crossing any major streets or parking lots....maybe you need to get out more, kettal...the core area of Missisauga is rapidly changing..
Ok I'll give you this one. But in the Mississauga with beautiful grass bounded sidewalks and ample parking, the statement is true.

I could walk to the grocery store, but I choose to drive, can't stand lugging the bags...
Get one of those two-wheeled buggies :)

But in the Mississauga with beautiful grass bounded sidewalks and ample parking, the statement is true.

Yes, in the far hinterland of Meadowvale or Erin Mills, this is still absolutely true.....:)

Yes, in the far hinterland of Meadowvale or Erin Mills, this is still absolutely true.....:)
Yeah, as if he would complain about having to take 2 extra steps past a little grass if it bounded the sidewalks of Roncesvalles or Queens Quay.

Simply contributing to the thread where the latest posts have to do with pedestrian-friendliness. Before I joined in, I sensed lots of snobbishness and anti-Mississauga posts from concrete jungle downtown urbanites.

Hockeybuddy, you are to "pedestrian-friendliness" what a collector of Robert Bateman prints is to "art-friendliness". Maybe that's the point of the attacks here...

Yeah, as if he would complain about having to take 2 extra steps past a little grass if it bounded the sidewalks of Roncesvalles or Queens Quay.

No one would complain really. Because a little grass is simply not obstacle to walking. That's why in places with lots of pedestrians the grass just gets trampled and dies.

Back