News   Jul 17, 2024
 187     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 811     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 543     0 

Who's going to be the next Liberal leader?

Who's going to be the next Liberal leader?

• Michael Ignatieff

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Gerard Kennedy

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • John Manley

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Frank McKenna

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Bob Rae

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Justin Trudeau

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
Why is Canada looking for a Liberal leader from outside of Ontario? Stephane Dion, Paul Martin, and Jean Chretien all three are from Quebec and its been ages since an Ontarian has led the Liberals. I'm sure you can say Martin was by proxy from Ontario since he was born there, but still...

Now that I see how many votes Kennedy is getting on this forum..... I know that my opinion that he is too far left to be leader of the Liberal party if they want to take back the house next election :eek:

I believe that if Frank McKenna enters the race - he will be the odds on favourite to take the title.

As I said before - centrist, fluently bilingual, leadership experience (premier of New Brunswick), financial experience (deputy chair of td), international experience (Ambassador to the United States).

I'm a McKenna fan, so I hope he throws his hat in the ring. His one weakness is Quebec (see Meech Lake). I always wonder about former premiers becoming the PM (going from a voice of decentralization to a voice of centralization)... but I think it could go along way in strengthening relations with the provinces.

The problem for the Liberals wont be which leader they pick, Rae, Iggy, McKenna would all work great against the inhuman blob Harper. The problem will be picking him in such a way as to not rend the party between its camps. If they go into some year long session of arguing and bickering back and forth between the candidates it will be a Pyrrhic victory. Especially if they end up with two front runners in a polling dead heat that clears the way for the 3rd choice. That would be a tragedy.

Rumblings are that the party may choose a new leader WITHOUT a convention (can't afford it).

Why is Canada looking for a Liberal leader from outside of Ontario? Stephane Dion, Paul Martin, and Jean Chretien all three are from Quebec and its been ages since an Ontarian has led the Liberals. I'm sure you can say Martin was by proxy from Ontario since he was born there, but still...

Because the Liberals are dead in Quebec and the West. I think they could try dropping Kennedy in an Edmonton riding and see if he pulls it out....

Having a Federalist leader that is French may help soften the blow a bit in Quebec. It does, however, piss off everyone else.

You have to remember that Liberals cannot afford to ignore Western Canada any longer, as a united right will make it VERY difficult (compared to the 90's) to secure a majority government.

Now that I see how many votes Kennedy is getting on this forum..... I know that my opinion that he is too far left to be leader of the Liberal party if they want to take back the house next election

To be honest, I think you're reading way too much into the left/right aspect. Gerard Kennedy is popular because of his ability to communicate and lead. He's refreshing and inspiring. These traits are worth much more political capital then a half-step to the right/left. Keeping his views constant, if Dion was a gifted communicator and had Obama-like rhetorical skills, this would have translated into a lot more seats for his party. IMO.

I think Manley or McKenna are by far the most centrist and most electable statesmen the Liberals have. If they pick another compromise candidate, they'll get another compromised result. I hope they've learned their lesson.

Because the Liberals never really cared about Ontario....they just had to pretend to care to get elected..... No different really from the Conservatives today. Except this time the voters decided to pick the party that just didn't lie about their apathy.

I think we need to stop looking at where a candidate is from as a major reason to want to support someone. Stephane Dion was from Quebec and he was thought to be a possible candidate to bring Quebec back into Liberal hands.

Instead he not only left Quebec at a loss, he lost Ontario to the Conservatives and NDP. Go figure.

Kennedy is FROM Manitoba, he currently resides in Toronto. He has a personality connection and is far from a Dion, and he's known in Ontario.

To me, Kennedy is a better idea because Quebec isn't going to be voting Liberal anytime soon, just a few ridings in areas like Montreal. Kennedy can bring those ridings back and secure Ontario again as well as Atlantic Canada.

If the Liberals need a perceived more centrist candidate, Scott Brison brings fresh ideas in from Atlantic Canada. And that's an area that also needs attention. But its the fact that Brison is a former PC MP that should be paid attention to, not that he's from Nova Scotia.

Hands down, Gerard Kennedy has the personality that none of the others have. That is volumes more important than location.

Hands down, Gerard Kennedy has the personality that none of the others have. That is volumes more important than location.

I think this is the best argument for GK. I'd be a fan of Kennedy, McKenna, or Brison.

I worry that Kennedy had no money (I'm sure he's in debt) and that some in the party are still pissed at him for picking Dion.

I think we need to stop looking at where a candidate is from as a major reason to want to support someone.

And you contradict yourself.....

Kennedy is FROM Manitoba, he currently resides in Toronto. He has a personality connection and is far from a Dion, and he's known in Ontario.

To me, Kennedy is a better idea because Quebec isn't going to be voting Liberal anytime soon, just a few ridings in areas like Montreal.

They'll be ready to vote Liberal by the next election especially if the Cons keep pushing ideological policies like the arts cuts.

Kennedy can bring those ridings back and secure Ontario again as well as Atlantic Canada.

He's not special in that regard...east of the Ontario-Quebec border I'd say McKenna would do better.....

If the Liberals need a perceived more centrist candidate, Scott Brison brings fresh ideas in from Atlantic Canada. And that's an area that also needs attention. But its the fact that Brison is a former PC MP that should be paid attention to, not that he's from Nova Scotia.

He's simply not well known enough and the Liberals will not tolerate a former PC as leader.

Personality isn't everything. Harper's a cold fish yet he won. Canadians don't need their leaders to be charismatic. What they want is for their leaders to appear knowledgeable, decisive and confident. That's where Dion fell behind....

Mckenna is the most experienced and proven men and is a centrist.

He belongs to the Chretien style and I think if the Liberals return to that, they will do well.

They need to pick a strong leader and move back to centre. Screw the poor and the environment!!!

I hate to rain on everyone's Gerard Kennedy campaign, but it just won't happen! It's precisely Gerard Kennedy's fault that Dion was elected liberal leader in the first place, and if Dion lead them into disaster then that reflects on Kennedy within the party. At the time Kennedy could have thrown his support behind Ignatieff or Bob Rae, then one of them would currently be liberal leader. The liberals are not going to be giving Kennedy another chance at leadership, instead they'll be eating him alive!!

The Iggy camp is against Kennedy for that move and so is the Rae camp! Kennedy has few pals in the liberals right now even though he was just recently elected.

Mckenna is the most experienced and proven men and is a centrist.

He belongs to the Chretien style and I think if the Liberals return to that, they will do well.

They need to pick a strong leader and move back to centre. Screw the poor and the environment!!!

I'm curious exactly what you think the Liberals should run on, if not issues such as these?

I voted that Michael Ignateiff should be the interim leader of the Federal Liberal Party. However, Justin Trudeau will be in the wings, being groomed. There's even a draft Justin website already.

Hmmm... created one day ago.... and not even finished except the ability to enter your email address -- wonder who is collecting them.... probably worth a little bit as a spam list :eek:

How did you find an unfinished website so quickly?

Back