News   Jul 12, 2024
 991     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 860     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 348     0 

Which projects are most likely to get cancelled?

On the southeast corner of Adelaide and John streets, spitting distance from Metro Hall, two parking lots abut the old brick home of the Fox and Fiddle pub. Mr. Vaughan said developers recently purchased those lots from the Farber family, assuming “huge mortgages.†City Council is studying applications for two towers here, 44 and 42 storeys, but financing troubles mean those towers now are delayed, he said.

According to Mr. Vaughan’s web site, the two John/Adelaide projects are a Daniels Corp. application for a 44-storey tower, at 21 Windmer St., and an application by Pinnacle International, a Vancouver-based condo builder, for a 42-storey tower at 295 Adelaide Street W. Those companies did not immediately return calls.

Still time to chow down at the Corned Beef House.

The Shangri-La site on University has been empty the last couple of times I walked past it. It had been busy with dozens of works before.

Not sure where to post this so please feel free to move it mods.

Question. Why doesn't the Fed or Provincial government provide financing for some of these struggling developments? If I understand it correctly, a lot of developers are having difficulty a) getting project financing all or b) getting decent terms (interest rates) on their financing. With all the jobs at stake here would it not make sense?

Not sure where to post this so please feel free to move it mods.

Question. Why doesn't the Fed or Provincial government provide financing for some of these struggling developments? If I understand it correctly, a lot of developers are having difficulty a) getting project financing all or b) getting decent terms (interest rates) on their financing. With all the jobs at stake here would it not make sense?

they do it (indirectly) by dropping rates.

Well on January 20, 2009 the Bank of Canada lowered overnight rate target by 1/2 percentage point to 1 per cent.

Also, the Federal gov't purchased billions of mortgages from Canadian Banks.

What more do you want them to do ... finance the projects completely and continue the over-inflated RE bubble?

Personally, I'm against any form of bailout, whether it be for the auto industry or construction, etc.

What I heard was the typrical sources of financing (banks) aren't lending so some developers have to go and find other sources. In some cases they have to pay very high interest rates 9 plus percent. Due to the high financing cost this may make the development not economically feasible.

Last week there was a guy on the ROB blabbing about how he is making loads of money charging 19% interest to developers.

What I heard was the typrical sources of financing (banks) aren't lending so some developers have to go and find other sources. In some cases they have to pay very high interest rates 9 plus percent. Due to the high financing cost this may make the development not economically feasible.

Last week there was a guy on the ROB blabbing about how he is making loads of money charging 19% interest to developers.

now's a good time to have cash!

19%...

19% ain't great if you don't see your principal again...

19% ain't great if you don't see your principal again...

Well put.

Can someone please point me to the firm that provided this kind of financing? I have a very interesting opportunity that involves acquiring a large amount of discounted/distressed debt secured against a condo project and I am looking for a financial partner.

Feel free to PM for details if you are interested.

Thank you

They are probably 'by appointment only'. I wouldn't jump to conclusions, just because someone does not answer the phone there.

Back