News   Jul 30, 2024
 480     1 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 430     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 542     1 

Which lots/sites do you hate?

King and Spadina (mentioned) is screaming for a building on the Budget Car rental site. Then again, I would also like to see the Winners and the gas station just south of there gone too.

Queen and Peter (like unimaginative) said - should be some outdoor market like Camden.

Front and Spadina - the entire strip along Front to Bathurst. The extra train tracks (used for parking???) are not needed. Mid-sized buildings lining this street would help hide the tracks and would blend well with CityPlace to the south. While we are at it, the Toyota dealership on the north side needs to go, ditto with the Globe and Mail. On the north east side there needs to be more towers to fill in the parking lots across from the Matrix and Apex buildings. That has to be one of the largest parking lots downtown screaming for development. Element phase 2 - 5 definitly needed.

The parking lot beside and in front of the Harbour Commissioners Building. I say fill up the entire area bounded by the Gardiner off-ramp, AON building, Queen Quay and the Bay Street off-ramp. Filling in that section will make Harbour Square seem less isolated from the city.

Yonge and Gerrard. That's an obvious one.

Not really a parking lot, but the empty pace between the rail tracks and Bremner bwtween York and Simcoe (lower Simcoe). Sure 18 York is going there, but there should be a streetwall between the ACC and SkyDome. The grassy knoll between the CN Tower and the MTCC should also be developed with a 3 storey building.

The bus parking lot surrounded by Van de Water Crescent (just east of HVE) should be GONE GONE GONE. I have said this before, and will say it again. That parking lot should be developed into a park, joining the parking lot just south of the Gardiner, which joins the new HTO. That would link the waterfront with the Skydome/CN Tower plaza and could be a MAJOR pedestrian walkway to the waterfront from one of Toronto's busiest tourist destinations. The only obstacle to this is linking the park north of the Gardiner/Lakeshore, with the park south of the Gardiner/Lakeshore. If we are keeping the Gardiner, the only way I can see this happening is to dig Lakeshore for that section underground and cover over at least part of it with a land-bridge which could go slightly above grade.

The one beside the Royal Alex is small but feels like a missing tooth in a perfect smile.

Toronto also has countless mini-lots: four or five parking spaces abutting a house or retail strip that could be turned into nice, high-quality infill.

We are not out of the woods yet.

The parking lot in front of the Dominion in Little Italy, at College and Crawford, always bugs me. Really breaks up a great, mostly uninterrupted strip of commercial storefronts (although College gets more residential just a bit west of there). It would be nice if that lot could be remade into a small park or European Style PiazzaTM (since it's Little Italy OMG) and maybe keep some parking underground.

I think there was some talk five years (or so) back about that lot becoming a "Multicultural Square" with a new Dominion where the current one is and parking put underground with a square on top. Remember reading it once and then never hearing about it again.

http://www.eyeweekly.com/eye/issue/issue_09.27.07/city/details.php

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS
The hole in the Junction
By Shawn Micallef

Dundas Street through the Junction has one of Toronto's most continuous pre-war streetscapes – except for the empty lot just east of Keele. It's the missing tooth in the neighbourhood. For 97 years, McBride Cycle was located here, selling all things motorbike related, but the family-owned business went into receivership last year. Though there were plans last year for a condo to be built on the site, they have fallen through and the site is for sale. The city lacked the power to prevent a handsome early-20th-century building from being demolished, a fact made worse in that the destruction only created an empty lot.

It's quite the loss as the lot is big in the scale of the neighbourhood. Also work hasn't begun on the Options for Homes project on the site of the former Canadian Tire site. Across from that there's a random parking lot which could go, and the former site of the Subway Hotel (for years an empty lawn with a billboard).

Back