News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Where Dundas St. used to go

Everyone: Nice picture tour of Dundas,Ontario! Since it is now part of the RM of Hamilton-Wentworth I would agree on the term of Hamilton NOT being a suburb of Toronto but a city in its own right. This is similar to Baltimore-Washington,DC just about 40 miles apart. I feel that you can not call a city in its own right a suburb of another-St.Catharines to Buffalo or Newark,NJ to New York City are good examples. LI MIKE

Mike, just to bring you up-to-date, the RM of Hamilton-Wentworth is no more. All of the components were merged into one city, namely the City of Hamilton.

Hamilton has its own Census Metropolitan Area too, counted separately from Toronto every 5 years.

And while it is a city in its own right, Hamilton is still part of Toronto's commuter-shed. It's all part of one big interdependent region know n as the Golden Horseshoe.

I42: When was the City of Hamilton created from Hamilton/Wentworth? I am aware of that term Golden Horseshoe-What is HMLs population nowadays? Just curious...LI MIKE

Hamilton-Wentworth, the old Cities of Hamilton and Stoney Creek and the towns of Dundas, Ancaster and townships of Glanbrook (itself an amalgamation of Glanford and Binbrook) and Flamborough were amalgamated in 2000. Hamilton almost touches the 401.

The local population is just over 500,000 for that 'megacity'.

Faux 42

^^and 700,000 for Hamilton's census metropolitan area

It's Buskerfest in Dundas this weekend. Good turnout tonight:

00077.jpg

00060a.jpg

nice pics flar, you made me want to go check out Dundas.....:)

Dundas is not just white, most people even have British surnames. Also remember it's a wealthy suburb. Burlington and Ancaster are also very white.

Back