969     3 

When do you merge in a merging lane?

When do you merge in a merging lane?

• As early as you can.

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • At the end of the merge lane.

Votes: 23 36.5%

• Total voters
Yes, but this is not the same situation as a "merging lane", as they are simply in the south-to-east-lane, not a lane that ends. In a merging lane, you would not have the problem of the 100 km/h cars coming from behind (hopefully) as the lane is ending.
There are some retarded cases where on ramp (merging lane) ends and then another on ramp come one, but that lane doesn't end as it leads to another off ramp. Some people will skip traffic by traveling on the ending lane in order to cross the line (illegally) to get to the off ramp. This is the case with 404 southbound at Finch leading to Sheppard.

Several years ago I completely changed my driving style. Up until that time I drove like a victim, where everyone was out to block me, take my place or otherwise take from me, and I had to be aggressive to avoid being the victim, including all the swearing and handing waving that comes with the attitude. This wasn't intentional, and I only came to this realization when I read about "driving like a victim". It was a cathartic moment for me.

Now I drive like I'm part of a big dance, which means I intentionally let people in, especially when no one else will, follow (but not fanatically) correct rights of way and lane discipline and generally am much calmer when I drive, and I get to my destination pretty much in the same time as my previous "victim" self. That doesn't mean I'm that nuisance driver in front of you, as I'm passing or fast in the left, never doddle on advanced greens, never meander to the right lane on a two lane left turn, never tailgate, etc.

Being a motorcyclist made me a better car driver I think.

I wanted to quote an old post with a great commentary from Admiral Beez which I think doesn't get enough thought.

This victim mentality is what gets people riled up and angry at others. They're always on the lookout to prevent someone else from passing in front of them, watching other lanes to make sure they are always in the fastest lane, eyeing other cars who may have made a lane change to see if they are moving quicker, scoping for drivers who look like they might want to get into their lane, etc etc. It's such a stressful way to drive!

I've changed my driving habits considerably over the years as well. For the most part, my goal is simply to flow with traffic. That means letting people merge in front of you at the zipper, keeping up with traffic in front of you, blending in with the new speed of the lane you just changed into, etc etc. Despite our Toronto highway traffic congestion, I do find driving pretty relaxing (and I usually still get to where I need to faster than the Google Map ETA!).

Here, here. I can be as fast as anyone else on the highway when and where traffic allows. But in congestion and on local roads we all need to just relax and take a chill pill. I see blown stop signs, speeding in school zones, blowing by stopped school buses, speeding through red lights, etc, far too often.
As for the question of when to merge, I use up all of the ending lane when in heavy traffic, then follow the zipper rule-of-thumb. :D

I have a theory that driver impatience and this "victim mentality", which cause drivers to make foolish decisions, are the root cause of most road collisions. If drivers learned to calm down, we'd have a lot fewer road problems.

The aforementioned "victim mentality" is a significant factor in one's stress when driving. Unfortunately, it is directly a result of the bad apples on the road who don't let people in, who aren't courteous, who impede traffic, who lane change abruptly, who cut other drivers off in hopes of gaining 1 car length, who abuse the merge lanes, who disobey traffic rules, etc. that causes people to be defensive. It is up to every driver to do their part in order eliminate the need for any "victim mentality".

In a traffic jam, drivers are doing everyone a favor to use the entire merge lane. Stopping in the middle of the merge lane to squeeze into stand still traffic when there are 400 meters left does nothing other than under utilize available road space.

In a traffic jam, drivers are doing everyone a favor to use the entire merge lane. Stopping in the middle of the merge lane to squeeze into stand still traffic when there are 400 meters left does nothing other than under utilize available road space.

100% true...but perhaps it's the Canadian politeness that takes over because it's obvious some drivers feel guilty for going to the front of the line that they feel a need to just stop and get into the line midway so that they don't "annoy" any more people (who really shouldn't be annoyed to begin with but I digress).

Back