News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 452     0 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

The PBO looked at the accounting in the Liberal budget and came to the same conclusion as many others, myself included, which is to say, they padded the deficit quite a bit.

Yes I get that....but this has nothing to do with the budget.....the budget was for the fiscal years starting April 1, 2016.......and this $7B surlpus is for the first 11 months of the previous fiscal year. The biggest impact on the first year of the new government's budget was based on coming into it off of the deficit that they told us the Tories were running.....so a lie is coming home to roost.

Yes the other thing they have done is created a go forward budget that bets a lot of $ on fiscal stimulus but not account for give that stimulus any credit for creating growth....so, yes, I agree with you and the PBO that the budget deficits are overstated.....but the $7B discussed this week is not part of that.

Back to the core topic.

I don't think anyone should under estimate the 'Conservative' brand, even if it is struggling a bit right now.

Others wrote off the Federal Liberals (rather too soon, in hindsight).

I think that its important for the Liberals to face a serious competitor, be it from the right or the left; and if it can be both, so much the better.

But, clearly the Conservatives have no been in tune with a good chunk of urban Canada for some time.

I don't think it necessarily follows that they need to go all 'touchy-feely' or move holus bolus to the left to be electable in urban regions.

Mike Harris captured a noticeable chunk of the Toronto vote, whether I was in that percentage or not.

One part of that, was clearly minimizing the 'social conservative' aspect of the party.

Arguably, Harper did that in some ways, in so far as the party really ignored abortion, the death penalty and some other social issues throughout
his mandate.

However, particularly in the second term, there was a lot of 'red meat' to the base rhetorically, as well as with 'tough on crime' stuff, so much so,
it wore out some folks in the middle and centre-right who might have supported him previously.

I also think the confrontation with the Supreme Court, was a profound lack of judgement, as that institution has a much higher regard in the broad Canadian
public that does its U.S. counterpart.

Beyond that, and the need for some 'symbolic' gestures of inclusion (the party must look less white, less male, etc.)

There is a need for it to appeal to some of the best of what Conservatism can offer.

That means (to me) some strategic Libertarianism, ie. more consumer choice, less nanny-state etc. I think they moved on some of these files while in office, albeit it slowly (see pick n' pay cable TV)

But that sort of thing is a sore spot with many voters across the electoral spectrum; such that, if you don't seem too extreme otherwise, there are votes to be won on such things.

Likewise, Conservatism in its literal form (to conserve) tend to imply a slowing of the pace of change and placing some value on those things that are treasured. In a world of fast-paced change
and volatility there is room for a party suggest a slow down.

The key is realizing when certain change has already arrived. (broad acceptance of the gay community and related issues such as marriage, cultural pluralism etc.)

A fiscal emphasis from time to time that says something like 'lets do what we all support well, and stop doing new things till we have the existing ones right) is also not a bad offer.

For me, the Conservatives failures were many.

Cutting the HST instead of cutting income taxes for low-income and moderate income Canadians.

Doing the above before they were in real surplus, resulting in more debt that was necessary.

Taking anti-science positions on certain things that made no sense whatsoever.

Focusing on mandatory minimums, over crime prevention.

Needlessly provoking confrontation with various groups, particularly at a rhetorical level.

To succeed, they need a leader who allows them to reach out to new groups.

They need a few 'core' conservative principles (balanced budgets, lower net debt, a portion of surpluses, after debt reduction goes to tax reduction) etc.

Balanced by some key innovative ideas with strong evidence behind them.

Some of which must appeal across the political spectrum.

I'm not sure I see anyone currently committed to running who is likely to offer that.

So while I think the party has a future, barring some catastrophic blunders by Trudeau.......its a future that may be a bit further off, in terms of success, than they would like.

Jason Kenny had some informative tweets that explained just how dishonest and misleading the newspaper headlines were. Another examples of the media doing everything in their power to discredit the Conservatives.

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/728739339518156800

And recently, a Conservative MP died in office. If his wish was for Stephen Harper to be re-appointed PM, would the Liberals have been blamed for not being compassionate for not allowing it.
How about if this Liberal wanted to change the national anthem to the Hockey night in Canada theme song. Would we have to acquiesce just because he is dying?

I agree that the media are trying to make the Conservatives appear to be a small minded mean-spirited party.

And there actually some uninformed, ignorant people who casually watch the news (or not at all) who actually believe it.

Did you follow the election? They are a small minded and mean spirited party!

Yes,

I remember Trudeau promising a deficit of $10B this year (not $30B) and a 4 year deficit of $25B (not $98B).
I also remember a promise of 25k middle east migrants by December 31, not 7k.
I remember the cost of the migrants pegged at $250M, not $1.2B.
I remember the tax on "rich" balancing the cut to the upper middle class, not being over $1B short.

Its not a right-left thing because both Mulcair and Harper were reasonably honest during the campaign. It just goes to prove that the electorate most wants someone to lie to them and tell them what they want to hear.

Despite all his lies, I would probably vote for Trudeau the next time if he has the best economic performance in the G7 and the lowest increase in debt.

Last edited:
Money matters aside, the CPC ran a very nasty campaign and still retain that nasty tone. They don't seem to understand why they lost the election and are doing the same stupid things.

Gay marriage has been legal for nearly 11 years and the CPC is still debating whether to recognize or oppose it. Even when Harper had his majority, he never touched it!

Gay marriage has been legal for nearly 11 years and the CPC is still debating whether to recognize or oppose it. Even when Harper had his majority, he never touched it!
I thought this was a healthy debate, since they have to deal with the social conservatives within their base. This debate and the vote affirming gay marriage was a good move. Get it out in the open, vote on it, then finish it as a wedge issue.

I thought this was a healthy debate, since they have to deal with the social conservatives within their base. This debate and the vote affirming gay marriage was a good move. Get it out in the open, vote on it, then finish it as a wedge issue.

Maybe the REFORM! clique will break away from the Conservative Party, and the Conservatives will return to being a true Progressive Conservative Party.

Back