News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 458     0 

What Toronto street is this?

Horribly wrong. This is just so out of place here.

It's spec banality upon brownfields, but I'd hedge on the wrong/out of place judgment, especially since the (bay-n?)gabled-terraces idea *does* accord with a certain familiarly-held Toronto archetype, and it isn't really horribly out of scale with the neighbourhood, all things considered.

In this case, it just adds another dimension to the neighbourhood, and time will more likely heal than not, etc. All in all, more inoffensive than offensive--though yes, its spec-built ordinariness is a far cry from the enlightened design/planning pretensions behind those 70s-style efforts where the city played much more of a part (St Lawrence, Lambert Lodge, etc)

Last night found me walking around here:

dsc01124g.jpg

Hello all, my first post to this thread upon which I have been lurking for days.

I think it's Ridley Gardens (off Roncesvalles).

Yeah, those 70's(?) townies are sorta ugly, sorta cool. Just wish they were 4-6 stories instead of 2.

Now for something a bit different. One week ago found me in a GTA community, so 905-ers, what street is this and what major intersection is nearby?

dsc00219f.jpg

dsc00222t.jpg

(Hint: the street is also in Toronto)

Educated guess: could it be in Maple, around Keele + Major Mac? (Could be wrong.)

Oh, and I truly don't mind those Avenue Rd townhouses and their roofline/street vista antics: it's a classic of what might be termed "early Postmodern" (i.e. before the term denoted simple-minded retro-kitsch). And given their location, the height is just right--of course, as you can tell by the rooflines, they probably *are* 4-6 storeys masquerading as 2.

Hey, how do you know all about the GTA adma? Are you a UPS delivery guy? Yeah, Keele St looking north towards Major Mac in Maple. Vaughan City Hall is still under construction, but I missed the money shot. (btw, adma, what used to be on the site of those Av Rd townies?)

Adma likely knows where this next photo is taken; does anyone else?

dsc00155r.jpg

Actually, I *didn't* know for sure--if anything, it was that Shoppers clock tower that might have rung a bell re whatever I remember from downtown Maple last time I went through. (And the "historic" houses help.)

Back