News   May 03, 2024
 729     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 471     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 239     0 

What should be done about Toronto's deficit?

kEiThZ

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm no Rob Ford fan. But the truth is this, even without Ford dumping the Land Transfer and Vehicle Registration taxes, the city would still have been left with a massive deficit.

And sooner or later, this had to be tackled.

In my most humble opinion, this deficit is the root of a lot of Toronto's problems. Year after year, they have to beg the province for money. This kind of cycle seems to preclude long-term planning.

So what can Toronto do to get out of it's annual deficit tradition?

Good question - speaking from a service delivery point of view, given that is a significant function of the City, I think the City needs to sit down and define its service standards and secure resources to implement that. If that means extending/intensifying services access in the old suburbs, then so be it, and raise revenues to the level needed to deliver those services. I think others will say reduce services to the point at which we have revenue, but I'd still want to see that done in the context of having a service standards review so that whether you live in Trinity-Bellwoods or L'Amoreaux, you have the same access to services being an equal citizen of Toronto, preferably whichever is the higher standard. Something like this really shouldn't be a race to the bottom, which I fear it is becoming with this current administration. Or, "regime" as Rob Ford calls it.

For me, there's a point at which the incremental tax savings that the City is able to return to individual residents is far outweighed by the damage cause from reduced access to services. That said, the City does need to be able to demonstrate that resources are being spent wisely if they are to have the confidence of residents paying those taxes.

Anyway, I'd say its a revenue problem, not a expenditure problem. Revenues need to be raised. The City of Toronto Act expressly gave Toronto the ability to do this through taxes pegged on consumption and administration - its about time elected officials showed some civic leadership and used the authority they've been given instead of trying to (rightly or wrongly, we can debate this ad infinitum) blame higher levels of government for not being there. They haven't been there for generations, and they probably won't be, so stop trying to kick the can down the road and just get things done.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Municipal Act and City of Toronto Act permit income means-testing to issue rebates and the like - we just can't peg taxes directly to income. So that might be a way around providing exemptions for those hard pressed and truly unable to absorb property tax and user fee increases.

I think it goes without saying that property taxes should be raised beyond the rate of inflation. To what extent, I don't know. I'm still trying to get some facts and figures out of the City that go beyond the annual budget agenda reports for some personal academic publication-oriented research. If that ever happens, I'll be sure to share my findings.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing the vehicle reg tax brought back, but in a form where the tax is on a sliding scale for private vehicle owners depending on the level of pollution, weight and mileage (as a proxy for wear on roads) to make it more equitable. 90% of us drivers might wind up in toyota prii or old honda civics instead of bombing around in v8 SUVs on city roads perpetually stuck in 2nd gear, but whatever. Transit simply isn't an option for far too many people in this City - I think I was the only one in my circle of friends opposed to the flat fee vehicle registration tax on this basis - so I'm not a believer in a one size fits all vehicle tax. I never understood why someone in a high-end leased Benz to show off on College Street should have to pay the same vehicle registration tax as someone in a beat up old Geo Metro just trying to get to work from Warden and Ellesmere. Maybe taking it a step beyond, something like a modified VRT with means-testing exemptions might have more bang for the buck if it was implemented by Metrolinx across the entirety of its planning and the revenues were earmarked for Metrolinx capital and transit service operating costs, excluding head office costs. I can see Peel Region signing onto such a fee because Mississauga is about done with development revenues, Brampton's getting there, and Milton alone can't sustain the infrastructure costs of the Region. From the conversations I've had with York Region officials, there's no way they're ever signing onto something like this. I get the sense they're happy signing off on faux gated communities and big box outlets for the next couple of decades until they get to go retire on OMERS. The next generation can deal with the fallout.

Though minimal, I think we should also register bicycles against owners and charge a fee for that. It's done pretty widely across Europe, implemented by retailers/resellers at point of sale, more so for the purposes of making it easier to prosecute in the event a stolen bike is recovered than anything. We could probably piggyback on the exiting vehicle registration system the Province has be getting the IT unit to issue and RFP to add a couple of extra columns to the database and creating a revised interface. I don't think there's any reasonable way of licensing bicycle or e-bike riders. The best I've been able to come up with is tying licensing to the health card, which now needs to be renewed in Ontario - you don't get your health card renewed if you don't sit through an hour long rules of the road session. I don't know what the back end of the OHIP system looks like, so I'm not sure this is technically possible. Moreover, people like myself have the old OHIP card and I'm not in a rush to get the new one, so I wouldn't be have to sit through this. I don't know. I'm not sure the licensing part would be a revenue generator, but the registration part could be.

Another idea might be to get TPA to (a) not only increase their parking charges, but; (b) get into the property development business by developing co-op/attainable housing mixed with multi-floor retail/office spaces above their lots. It would get more residents, specifically families, into the City, and raise the assessment base. Same story for the TTC. And it would help distribute office spaces across the city instead of clustering them in selected areas. While vacancy rates for offices do remain high, part of the problem is that the current office spaces tend to be highly clustered in high rent areas. Having modern office-supportive spaces distributed across the city surrounded by multiple land uses would be a good thing. Though, we'd have to watch out for home depots moving in claiming 'industrial land use' and then reapplying to rezone the area to 'retail land use'. That's annoying and is causing problems with the city's employment land supply.

I think we also have to look at road tolling. I'm not sure how it should be done as the costs and complexities of implementation might far outweigh the benefits. Alternatively, a congestion charge might be easier to implement, e.g. a charge applicable within specified zones in Toronto for all private vehicles registered at an address outside of the said zone. But to be fair, you're going to have to beef up parking supply at TTC stations, TPA, and the like (see previous point). If this forces up prices at private parking lots, it might inadvertently make redevelopment of private parking lots less attractive . . ..

I don't think there's one magic bullet for the revenue problem. It's going to have to be a lot of little things brought in over time with careful study.

Of course, if you don't think its a revenue problem, that's fine as well. We'll have to agree to disagree. I too have many stories about City workers and processes not working, but even if 100% of City workers and processes worked 100% of the time, the revenue gap would still exist. And from what we know (or perhaps what I choose to believe given what I have observed professionally) service delivery is uneven and shockingly inadequate in many parts of Toronto. And frankly, perhaps as an aside, with respect to those workers that goof off, they know they have a good thing going and are not going to be the ones taking the buyout. The ones taking the buyout will be the ones responding to RFPs in the autumn and being retained by the City as consultants at far greater cost. Consulting, IMHO, is the true racket in the public sector. But, I digress.

For me, the foremost issue is defining a minimum service delivery level across the city, then identifying appropriate levels of staffing to get there, and then funding it. I fear the current executive is far too focused on reducing the role of government, no matter the cost, to undertake a carefully considered exercise to accomplish the above. The Core Service Review is not accomplishing this. Nor is the internal user fee review which seems to be concerned more with identifying the per capita cost of services delivered (an important data point to be sure) in preparation to have Council rule on what user fees should go up, and which should stay the same, and which should go down. I'm not at all convinced that we're going to have anything solved as a result of the September 26/27 Council meeting. The 2012 budget process is simply going to be a spectacle.

Two things. Road tolls. Or slash the Police and Social Services budget by 50 percent for three years.

At least put a road toll on for people who don't live in Toronto, since they put wear and tear on our roads/highways but pay no taxes in Toronto. What does Ford have to lose from that? 905ers don't vote in Toronto.

I'm no Rob Ford fan. But the truth is this, even without Ford dumping the Land Transfer and Vehicle Registration taxes, the city would still have been left with a massive deficit.

Don't forget about Fords's property tax freeze, which is essentially another tax cut.

First we need to sort out that the way the province forces cities to account for property taxes, EVERY city in Ontario starts EVERY year with a deficit.

The problem being that the tax rate automatically reduces as properties experience inflationary increases in value.

In the absence of 'real' assessment growth (ie. the kind that occurs from turning a surface parking lot into a condo)...

This will leave the city with the inflationary property tax hike sized deficit, until said tax hike is approved.

In Toronto, on a gross budget of about 9Billion, (not all raised through property tax) You're looking about a 200m deficit at the beginning of each year's budget cycle.

Toronto does clearly have additional problems fiscally, but its important to get that sense right away.

When it comes to dealing with the remaining issue, we have to separate the long-term, from this year as well.

The City is currently yielding real assessment growth in the range of 200M per year, which has NOT been booked into next year's fiscal plans, so far as I understand, when you hear the 774M deficit figure bandied about. In fairness Miller liked to pull those surprise revenues out at the last minute too. The bigger deficit figure was always seen to put pressure on managers and staff to trim budgets.

But if you assume a tax hike of 3% or so; a TTC fare hike at a similar level, and assessment growth, the budget hole is at most in the 400M range, and might well be closer to 300M. Not chump change, but not quite so bad as you may have been led to believe.

Now to close the remaining gap.

Service Reductions:

Windrow Plowing (gone)
Residential Sidewalk Plowing (gone)
Etobicoke Special Leaf Collection (gone)

** rationale, these services were not offered in the old City of Toronto prior to amalgamation, nor in Scarborough; they are still not offered in large parts of the City; and are unpopular in others (damage to front lawns).

Service Efficiencies

Naturalize significant amounts of mowed-grass in those valley parks that still look like golf courses, but aren't. Mowing should occur only for sports fields/play areas, for picnic areas, or due to botanical plantings (ie. Edwards Gardens)

Shift more medical calls from Fire to EMS, and correspondingly scale back the size of Fire dept over time, slightly (EMS responds with 2 well paid staff and a vehicle, fire w/4 + more expensive vehicle).

Operate the Scarborough RT as intended, driver-less.

Either contract out TTC Collectors or negotiate a more modest pay-rate for that particular posting (not crappy pay, just not $28 per hour + benefits)

Crackdown on frivolous consulting contracts, I can name a long list of lovely City reports currently gathering dust, which only told City staff what they already knew and/or couldn't afford to implement.

Revenues

Raise Permit Parking prices to market-value. Currently permits are as little at $15 per month, and no greater than $45. I would peg market-value, in most permitted-areas of the City at much closer to $100 per month (and higher).

Raising rates would generate no less than 10M per year, but could raise much more.

Direct the TPA (Green P) to raise on-street parking rates to market-value. Chicago's downtown parking is now around $5 per hour, so is Calgary's and Vancouver's. Toronto is $3.50 Market-rates for on and off-street lots could raise an additional 10M per year.

Hire one of the big mall managers to pursue retail in the TTC. Not a huge money maker, but I have no doubt there are two dozen good opportunities sitting un-used because of lack of ambition or know-how in the TTC.

Similarly, Cafe's and Sporting Goods stores might do well at some rec. Centres (without cutting into activity space); imagine a high-end restaurant at Edward's Gardens or on the Toronto Islands.....without damaging/reducing or selling the park areas, leasing revenues could be attractive.

Personally, I would pay for hot-towel service at the rec centres.

Long-term, intensified development on TTC, GreenP and other City owned lands is being pursued, as it should be, that won't fix this year's issues, but should be pursued more aggressively for the long term.

I would absolutely consider road tolls on the DVP/Gardiner. A modest toll of $3 at point of entry to the City would generate a lot of cash.

Finally, I would consider 'biting the bullet' on residential property tax rates which are well below neighbouring areas, ie. Markham, Mississauga etc.

Some of any meaningful increase would likely need to go to lower corporate property tax rates, but if even a portion were kept, the City's revenues would be much more healthy.

Problem Solved........... :cool:

Re-institute the vehicle registration tax, but offer discounted metropasses to those who pay it.

I feel there's a fundamental disconnect between the taxpayer and the services they get. This is why it is so easy for that whole "gravy" messaging to sell.

In my opinion, the best thing to do is to unbundle some of these expenses and apply them as user fees.

Personally, I'd like to see the city's entire roads budget come from plate taxes and a 905 congestion charge into the 416. This way, people realize the full cost of driving.

I actually would not mind seeing user fees for libraries too. Just have rebates for the poor, the elderly, etc. Ditto for rec centres. Try and run them as close to revenue neutral. Perhaps even let a private (Bally's?) or non-profit entity (YMCA) run the system.

To me, getting the city bureaucracy out of the operations management business would free them to do some more city-building in the long run.

People may disagree with me, but there is a silver lining to Ford's election. The citizens of this city are finally having a dialogue about the kind of city they want. Till now, talk has largely been a complaint about taxes, bicyclists, or inefficient bureaucracy. Ford is exactly the kind of polarizing figure that's needed to prompt the citizens of this city to have such a long overdue discussion.

I feel there's a fundamental disconnect between the taxpayer and the services they get. This is why it is so easy for that whole "gravy" messaging to sell.

In my opinion, the best thing to do is to unbundle some of these expenses and apply them as user fees.

Personally, I'd like to see the city's entire roads budget come from plate taxes and a 905 congestion charge into the 416. This way, people realize the full cost of driving.

I actually would not mind seeing user fees for libraries too. Just have rebates for the poor, the elderly, etc. Ditto for rec centres. Try and run them as close to revenue neutral. Perhaps even let a private (Bally's?) or non-profit entity (YMCA) run the system.

To me, getting the city bureaucracy out of the operations management business would free them to do some more city-building in the long run.

People may disagree with me, but there is a silver lining to Ford's election. The citizens of this city are finally having a dialogue about the kind of city they want. Till now, talk has largely been a complaint about taxes, bicyclists, or inefficient bureaucracy. Ford is exactly the kind of polarizing figure that's needed to prompt the citizens of this city to have such a long overdue discussion.

I like this.

At least put a road toll on for people who don't live in Toronto, since they put wear and tear on our roads/highways but pay no taxes in Toronto. What does Ford have to lose from that? 905ers don't vote in Toronto.

I have no idea why this has NOT happened yet... the only reason its not hearing from whats been published is that Toronto is scared its going to lose its businesses to 905. Toll the entry points already.

I don't have the link but there was an interesting graphic on debt in the Toronto Star recently. I don't agree with the message in the article in the slightest because I'm an advocate of tackling the issue of structural deficits directly but comparing city debt across canada does give a little perspective on how small Toronto's municipal debt is.

The fact that Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary have by far the highest debt in the country paints having the Olympics in a somewhat negative long-term light does it not?

I have no idea why this has NOT happened yet... the only reason its not hearing from whats been published is that Toronto is scared its going to lose its businesses to 905. Toll the entry points already.

Better still, toll the destination exits instead of the entry points. That way everybody pays as they should if tolls are to be charged and the 905ers can't complain and will be less likely to invoke the Tit-for-Tat reaction of Tolls on their roads as a retaliatory measure.

Toronto needs to increase revenue. Ideally this would be the result of tax revenue redistribution. Barring that, Toronto will have to implement some of it's own taxes and/or find some creative ways of increasing revenue.

Finding efficiency and increasing productivity should also be constants. I'm not against privatization where it makes sense.

Back