News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 743     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

What print or online publications/news do you subscribe (pay) for?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
During the pandemic I'm wondering what magazines and news we're all paying to read. So, no free news, what are you paying for? Here's my list.

Motorcycle Classics. Print subscription
Toronto Life. Print subscription
Canadian Geographic. Print subscription
National Geographic. Print subscription
New York Times. Daily online subscription (promo $5 a month)
The Atlantic. Online subscription.

And that's about it. Everything else I get free online, including through the TPL (NYT is also there, but I like the online version I pay for).

I used to have a Globe and Mail subscription, but I got tired of all their rehashed stuff from AP and other news services, and I found the original content didn't interest me. Torstar was just too woke for me (especially whilst terminating most of their staff), so I canceled that too. Both of these you can get on the Toronto Library online. I also had a one year trial Washington Post subscription, but let that lapse once the promo ended.

What Publications and media are you guys paying for?

Last edited:
The Economist
Le Monde Diplomatique
Monocle
The Globe and Mail
--not a sub, but may as well be for the weekend edition
some Czech ones I won't bother mentioning
Electric Sound
Canadian Geographic

I love periodicals.

Looking for a decent German newsmagazine if anyone has any suggestions.

The Economist
Le Monde Diplomatique
Monocle
The Globe and Mail
--not a sub, but may as well be for the weekend edition
some Czech ones I won't bother mentioning
Electric Sound
Canadian Geographic

I love periodicals.

Looking for a decent German newsmagazine if anyone has any suggestions.
I forgot, we also subscribe to Readers Digest and Hello Canada.

I used to subscribe to Foreign Affairs, Warships IFR, Macleans, and Cycle Canada. I found I didn’t have time to read the first, The second was far too expensive for an progressively thinning magazine. The third was too thin and too forgettable. The fourth closed down in 2020, and only recently launched an online version. I like printed motorcycle magazines but there’s not much from Canada.

Anyone subscribe to the Walrus? What about Foreign Policy?

Last edited:
News: Toronto Star. I'm still a 'dead tree' reader and they are willing to toss it in my rural driveway. If they didn't, my years-long morning routine would be shot to heck.

The only magazines we get are Legion (gift from daughter) and Reader's Digest. We had dropped it previously because it was becoming hard to read and they dropped their large print edition in Canada, but the missus wanted it again.

We used to subscribe to Canadian Geographic but dropped it during a cull. Strangely, I was willing to keep making a donation but not get the mag but the concept seemed to be beyond them. Also, they continually dropped my multi-year subscription every year (something to do with c/c info). It just became annoying to constantly correct it.

Admiral: I'm not one for regular motorcycle mags but Motorcycle Mojo seems decent. A friend has a subscription and gives me copies when he is done (I met the editor/founder and wrote an article for them). Sometimes it depends on what aspect of biking you are interested in.

Admiral: I'm not one for regular motorcycle mags but Motorcycle Mojo seems decent. A friend has a subscription and gives me copies when he is done (I met the editor/founder and wrote an article for them). Sometimes it depends on what aspect of biking you are interested in.
Thanks, I forgot about Motorcycle Mojo. I had a look at their website just now and decided to buy a one year print+digital subscription.

I just looked at the Toronto Public Library and the Economist is available for digital borrow.

Last edited:
@Admiral Beez I completely forgot about The Walrus!

My magazine basket is a mess. Im constantly a month behind. A mate of mine works there.

I especially like it because it's the most I read that I disagree with....other than here. ;)

Presently, none.

I have had The Atlantic form time to time, as for whatever reason I don't know I get a discount through work down to something like US$30 a year, but I find I'm usually interested in only half of their content, so I don't renew when the year ends and the price goes up to the normal rate, something like US$75/year. Inevitably, there will be another discounted subscription offer, though sometimes it takes 12-18 months to arrive. They used to offer us a discounted Economist subscription occasionally too, but I haven't seen that available for a few years now.

I did subscribe to The Athletic for a while, but I dropped that as I don't really follow a lot of different sports. I definitely see it having value if you do follow multiple sports, like if you are a big fan of both the Raptors and the Blue Jays they have credentialed reporters for both (and the Leafs too), plus if you follow the NFL you can get coverage of any team. If you do the fantasy sports betting stuff they are good for that too. There's almost always some kind of discounted offer down to about $5/month.

Last edited:
New York Times, Globe and Mail and Toronto Star. And I read La Presse, which is free. All online. I subscribed to the Walrus from the beginning and for many years, but at some point I just didn't have the time to read it. Often I find English Canadian publications to be too anglocentric and Québec ones to be excessively Québec-centric, but that's what happens when you straddle two solitudes.

Toronto Star paper version on the weekend.

And Mr S, without fail, picks up every issue of Food and Drink at the LCBO. Great recipes and menu ideas for free.

Back