News   Oct 04, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4K     5 

What is wrong with our justice system?!!!

Abeja:

Why not go for a system whereby there is no sentencing and jail time per se, but based on a system that continually assess whether the individual as been reformed or not regardless of how long they've been in it? Afterall, that's the desired end-goal, isn't it, and not jail time as a matter of vengence?

AoD

For example, if I'm sentenced to 25 years for murder, I shouldn't get parole after 15 years for "good or contrite behaviour", but instead should serve the entire 25 years, and then be reviewed for possible application of parole, if deemed necessary.

You can't be sentenced to 25 years for murder. The minimum sentence is life. After 25 years, you can apply for parole.

A sentence doesn't just equal incarceration though. It includes the parole period as well (like it or not).
I didn't know that, thanks. I thought that the sentence equalled incareration, ie. 25 years for murder, and that any parole period was applied or determined later, separate from the original sentence.

Look everyone, perhaps I've come across wrong from the start. Surely someone here besides me thinks that there is something wrong when criminals like Whitmore get out of jail after continued offences, and when the majority of murders in Toronto are committed by folks released early from prison? The consensus here is that keeping these folks in jail longer is not the solution. What is the solution?

Surely someone here besides me thinks that there is something wrong when criminals like Whitmore get out of jail after continued offences, and when the majority of murders in Toronto are committed by folks released early from prison?

Yup, I think so too.

What is the solution?

That's the 64 dollar question. From what I understand, in general, paedophiles will always be paedophiles... at best, they learn to control it and methods such as chemical castration have limited effectiveness. Some people believe in positive conditioning or things like electric-shock aversion therapy (illegal in many parts of the Western world)... regardless, we need to look at new ways of controlling this. I don't like the idea of locking these people away for good.

Back