News   Oct 11, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 3.2K     2 
News   Oct 11, 2024
 723     0 

What do we need more of in Toronto?

Frankly, I am apart of the 85% who feel its time to stop building condos; the last thing we need in Toronto is another condo.

Should we just send people to the burbs, then?

What do we need?

Greater autonomy from higher governments;green bins in apartment and condo towers; all the announcements from MoveOntario 2020 + DRL; dedicated bike lanes on select major avenues; a move toward mixed income housing and co-ops at Jane and Finch; a regional transit fare structure; buried utilities with easy access so crews don't have to constantly cut up the road with a diamond saw to fix a pipe; parks that look like they do in New York; more apprenticeship and trade programs for high school students in troubled neighbourhoods; laneway housing; telling the fire department to cut the crap wrt road width design (promoting narrower streets); road tolls; a real contemporary art museum.

a decent jazz festival. it's really tiring travelling to montreal each summer to see decent music...it is a great fucking time, but it would be good if toronto at least TRIED to close down a whole section of downtown and put up a dozen stages that are full of music till last call. our festival is pathetic right now.

Another 10 - 15 major global head offices
Another 10 million people
Another 200 km of subway lines
More evergreens
A high sped rail link connecting Pearson to downtown
Perhaps another major rail station downtown besides Union
Bike paths
More high streets
A few super talls

If you could fit all that on the site he is designing that would be very impressive. To fit the subway line it would have to be something like that Tokyo X-Seed 4000. I think people would definitely complain about that blocking the view of the waterfront.

Thank you everyone for your responses. They are very helpful.

Yes he did.

No, not exactly.

I was looking to see what issues effect Torontonians most, and through taking them into consideration, design and propose a building which would address them as best as possible.

So for example, on other forums, people stressed the need for more green buildings, roof top gardens, and public parks.

Actually, a green building on the waterfront is a great idea; but here's my idea of what a "green" building is really like: (referencing that building in France with the big flower pots/planters around each balcony perimeter) A hedge wrapping around the entire building on each level as it slowly ramps up to the top. Beautiful striking architecture==no silly wimpy podiums but a straight up highrise! Stunning details at ground level--look at vancouver's coal harbour buildings for ideas but localize them to toronto's setting. Think wood--it's like the boats of old....

Back