News   May 07, 2024
 567     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 408     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 350     0 

What advise would you give Stephen Harper to get his majority?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, you show your stripes for the bigot you are. Nuff said.

It's time to re-examine the tax exempt status of religious organizations within Canada when precepts of particular faiths are used to drive public policy in a secular society.

I sort of agree with Jade on this one, but not quite. Churches and Not-for-profit organizations should be treated essentially the same - they should not be taxed in most cases - unless they cross the line to "for-profit".

BUT, churches, charities, not-for-profits -- should not be able to use the money to support a specific party (directly or indirectly). They should be able to have political opinions though. Basically, if you cannot vote, you cannot give money (directly or indirectly) to support a party.

^^ But is the Church really Not-For-Profit? One might argue that making the Church tax exempt is similar to making Wal-Mart tax exempt.

However, this would have big political implications. I don't think that just taxing the Church would be bad, but it would cause a stir if youdidn't tax a Bhuddist temple, just because it's not the same style of international bureaucracy that the Christian (especially Catholic) Church is. That could be a problem.

Even in Catholic Poland, only about 42% of the people attend church regularly. The number going to church here in Canada would be lower that that. And some only go because they either have to, out of worry, or to socialize.

Well once you knock off Church as a social gathering place and a place to beg God to not set your house on fire, you're not left with a lot. Celebrate the greater powers? Nonsense! :rolleyes:

Bottom line, I don't want Stephen Harper to get a majority. I'd like to see a Liberal-NDP coalition, headed by a Liberal plan to grow Canada like no tomorrow. As a result, I think that Harper should go into the next election campaigning war against Denmark over Hans Island! We need to maintain our arctic sovereignty!

Re-opening the abortion debate (I thought I was reading the Drudge Report for a moment) isn't going to help the Tories. Not in my Canada.

Jade - it's cool if you think religion has too much power in U.S. politics, and you worry about the same in Canada; but your initial post is unnecessarily inflammatory and offensive.

Christians are sheep and they are gullible. They believe in fables and they don't mind authority at all.
The Christians will rally around you and guess what - the Zionist media will do the rest.

Use a smaller paint brush next time.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back