News   May 06, 2024
 474     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 671     1 

West One Condos (Concord CityPlace) - Real Estate -

I just bought a unit at west one. I live on 50th floor and was so happy that I am moving in.

But recently I am hearing from quite annoying sound that appear every min or so. It sounds like a motor sound that get turned on and off (MMMmmmm.......mmmmMMMMM). I thought it is the elevator motor since I live so near the roof. But I think the Motor should be in the basement.

Another possibility is the EXTREMELY loud washroom vent when it is turned on. I was thinking it might be the sound from other units when they turn it on and off and the sound is resonating through the pipes. But that is just my guess.

I guess if I turn on my music loud enough I can drown out the noise. But that is not a solution when I sleep.

Anyone experiencing this. I think I need to bring this us at the management meeting or a ask the building owners come up with a petition to fix this loud washroom ventilation fan sound.

I had a bathroom fan like that, the motor was not mounted in a sturdy fashion. Drop the cover down and then remove it so that you have full access. Use something like wooden clothes-pegs and shimmy them into the top of the motor. That should help with the vibration noise.
I've lived in two top floor apartments and had similar types of noise problems although it wasn't very loud, but annoying. Nothing ever got done about it so I learned to sleep with a TV on with low volume in my bedroom which covered up the noise. Probably not the answer you want to hear but those were rentals so perhaps the property management can investigate your problem.

Thanks for the suggestion in stoping the vibration on my own unit's fan. But I am not sure how to deal with the sound that is not in my control.

I can not fixed eveyone's fan (if that is really the cause of the annoying sound) so should I ask the building's Property manger to come up and listen?

I have a feeling they won't really do anything unless others are having the same problem.

This is the reson I am posting, i want to know anyone @ Westone Building has the same issue.

Thanks!

It might only be on the top floors. The only problem I have is the whistling/blowing air sound outside at night when I'm sleeping. But that's if I even pay attention to it.

I live on the low 30's and have that issue as well. I think the building is just built cheaply...

Is there anything that we can do to stop this. I am sensitive to this sound that it makes. It's like on and off and on and off........

I will call the management and let you guys know if they are going to do anything.

p.s. I think the hallways are at a HIGHER pressure than the suites in this building - because the air gets pulled in - you can feel it if you put your hand around the edge of the door.

Yeah, that's right. Higher pressure in the hallways would keep smoke out of the hallways in the event of a fire. For buildings/suites with gas fireplaces, the gap provides "make up" air to compensate for the heated air exiting the flue. It would also assist your kitchen and bathroom fans by allowing air flow, rather than having the fan motors strain trying to blow air out of a sealed suite without compensating for the air that is removed.

Last edited:
...but half of them look like sketchy ravers (fine by me; I'm a raver / software developer who got lucky LOL)

'Raves' and 'ravers' still exist??? I used to go to those gatherings 12-15 years ago. I'm 32. I feel old now. Is it retro to go to a rave, or are they still around? I'm asking a serious question, not mocking you in any way.

A few years ago I had open heart valve replacement surgery, and now I have a small mechanical valve (imagine a swinging garbage pail lid).

It works well (and my health is good, thanks for asking), but it makes a ticking sound.

Yes. With every beat of my heart I can hear a tick-tick, tick-tick.

After a few weeks, I grew accustomed to it and now don't notice it unless I really focus and try to hear it.

The same thing will eventually happen to you with your mysterious sound. Right now, it's driving you crazy because you are hyperaware of it. But by the end of the month you won't even notice it.

Strangely, when I signed the lease too - I was expecting some crazy long lease saying what I wasn't allowed to do - but all it was was a one-pager specifying rent and term. I guess when you can afford this level of rental things loosen up a bit (i'm coming from a tiny, poor quality bachelor apartment, so its an interesting contrast.)

Many of the things that some landlords like to put into rental agreements are actually not permitted under the Residential Tenants Act. Furthermore, even if you sign a lease agreement with specific terms, the RTA still overrides the lease. In effect, you can't sign away your legislated rights.

Was your rental arranged through MLS? I find that when a real estate agent is involved they are much more aware of the rules and more likely to provide a simple one-page lease.

West One, to me, represents the epitome of what the newest generation of 20-somethings (like me) is all about: making better money than we should be, spending all of it, with FUN being the biggest priority. Damn, I hope I never get married and have to leave here!

most people in cityplace really are just having fun. but that's precisely why many old fogeys will resent you... there are even some on this forum.

Why would anyone who isn't in the pre-spawning, under-30 demographic want to live in City Place?

It was my understanding that there is a push for families to move into City Place? I notice some three bedroom floorplans in newer towers, and a school is to be built in the centre of the neighbourhood? And there is a Montessori school there as well?(whatever that is), or is to be built (I've lost track since I moved to Vancouver).

Vancouver's Concord Pacific Place has been so successful attracting families that the local elementary school is full and has a waiting list. Adam Vaughn would cream his pants if a similar situation were to happen in his riding, me thinks.

And I hope it happens. The kids in downtown Toronto. Not the pant-creaming of Mr. Vaughn. Though I always found him strangely attractive :S

It was my understanding that there is a push for families to move into City Place? I notice some three bedroom floorplans in newer towers, and a school is to be built in the centre of the neighbourhood? And there is a Montessori school there as well?(whatever that is), or is to be built (I've lost track since I moved to Vancouver).

I agree with you. That definitely appears to be what Cityplace is trying to achieve, attracking young families into the buildings/community. Aside from the public and catholic schools, there is the large park, community centre. It would definitely bring a good mix to the development.

p.s. the view is worth it - even with the crappy camera on a blackberry the shots turned out pretty impressive. Here's one taken from my balcony.

Honestly, I don't get this place at all - everyone's obviously fairly well off in terms of cash, but half of them look like sketchy ravers (fine by me; I'm a raver / software developer who got lucky LOL) I swear to god there must be a drug dealer on every floor in West One.

Strangely, when I signed the lease too - I was expecting some crazy long lease saying what I wasn't allowed to do - but all it was was a one-pager specifying rent and term. I guess when you can afford this level of rental things loosen up a bit (i'm coming from a tiny, poor quality bachelor apartment, so its an interesting contrast.)

West One, to me, represents the epitome of what the newest generation of 20-somethings (like me) is all about: making better money than we should be, spending all of it, with FUN being the biggest priority. Damn, I hope I never get married and have to leave here!

Wow, is that what the twenty something market is up to now a days. Nothing wrong with that I guess if ur twenty and think you have a solid job with a software development gig. Instant and fast gratification sounds like it's the name of the game there. But if any of the twenty something's companies downsizes or undergoes a cyclical change as is occuring globally, I'll take that mortgage off of your hands for 50 cents on the dollar. ;)

Back