News   May 31, 2024
 1.1K     9 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.9K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.1K     0 

West Don Lands

When the Gardiner comes down, more traffic will spill onto Front/ Adelaide/ Eastern/ Richmond. There's a Toronto Star article where Miller agrees with planners who expect the flyover to see increased volumes, which may require expansion to compensate.

As a Corktowner I'm OK with more traffic--rush hour traffic will be really slow, which is OK because I'm not a car commuter. The deadliest streets in Corktown must be Eastern and Shuter, precicely because they lack traffic and thus motorists drive fast. More and slower traffic may be good for local businesses too.

I'll never understand why, as Corktowners, this is a preferable scenario to keeping the Gardiner. I think it's absolutely balls that the city, and this forum, put theoretical residents ahead of real ones, and not-yet-planned neighbourhoods ahead of 200 year old ones.

I can understand why people hate the Gardiner, but...is it really worse than heightened traffic in Corktown? Wider flyovers further cutting our neighb in two? Long lines of bumper-to-bumper on Rosedale Valley Rd and Bayview? I don't get it :(

However MTown, come to think of it, with or without the Gardiner the only way you're getting to Cherry Beach is by crossing the Keating Channel at Cherry Street, so it doesn't really make a difference. But it certainly would be nice to have the East Bay Front and WDL connected more fluidly.

Well, technically, yes, Keating Channel needs to be crossed after all is said and done but getting to that point has always been almost off-putting.

It's a huge psychological barrier with my beloved Cherry Beach as the well-deserved prize on the other side.

No doubt. Though once Cherry street is flourishing by the Distillery and WDL, the walk will be much more pleasant. I'm already excited, as I walk past the Canary, seeing work being done in and outside of the building. I hope it re-opens as the Canary.

No doubt. Though once Cherry street is flourishing by the Distillery and WDL, the walk will be much more pleasant.

aaaaaand, maybe most importantly, the East Bayfront!

I'm getting more and more giddy as "progress" is made and can't wait for the work they'll be starting there this year.

But I also think that only when WDL and EB are fully built out will people realise how out of place the Gardiner really is.....I mean, it'll seem oddly anachronistic at that point, I think.

But man, all this talk of Cherry Beach without actually being able to go there and throw the clothes off is making me anxious.....what, 3 more weeks til proper beach weather? :)

PS: The Canary is a gem and I'm very glad it's being restored and kept in place.

PS: The Canary is a gem and I'm very glad it's being restored and kept in place.

Though the BUILDING is certainly being restored - it is on the City's heritage list and was built as the Palace Street School - I am not so sure the Canary Restaurant is returning. It closed because the family who ran it could not make any money and I doubt they are just sitting around waiting for the WDLs to become a hive of activity again. It may be a restaurant again, even one called The Canary, but I rather doubt it will be much like the old Canary. I think its little feet are pointing up in the air :)

Though the BUILDING is certainly being restored - it is on the City's heritage list and was built as the Palace Street School - I am not so sure the Canary Restaurant is returning. It closed because the family who ran it could not make any money and I doubt they are just sitting around waiting for the WDLs to become a hive of activity again. It may be a restaurant again, even one called The Canary, but I rather doubt it will be much like the old Canary. I think its little feet are pointing up in the air :)

Oh, no doubt. I, being quite young, have no knowledge of the actual restaurant other than as a quaint abandoned little thing occupying the bottom floor of a charming little building and so I really hadn't considered the restaurant business itself when thinking of this place.

WDL as athletes' village for Pan Am bid / Canary

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/624817

Article's a little vague, but if they could make that 'temporary training pool' morph into a new pool/rec centre after the games, that would be a great addition to the WDL 'nabe.

I don't think the Canary's getting any renovations. It looks like one of those SciFi TV series built a fake garage right beside the Canary (the fake wall is brick, but the door is painted with a funky logo like Star Gate or something).

BTW -- the deranged comments on the Star's article are hilarious! What does 'moderated' mean when you let the tin helmet crowd post?

Waterfront Toronto is assembling property to accomodate the new streetcar lane on Cherry Street. These two from Committee of Adjustment of May 6, 2009. SEE: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/cofa_tey_panel_a_pm_6may09.pdf

34. 507 KING ST E
File Number: B0038/09TEY Zoning I1 D3 (Waiver)
Owner(s): SCOTT ALAN MARTIN
[ Ward: Toronto Centre-Rosedale (28)
Agent: WATERFRONT TORONTO
Property Address: 507 KING ST E
Legal Description: PL D226 LTS 3 AND 4 PT LTS 1 AND 2
THE CONSENT REQUESTED:
The subject site is located on the west side of Cherry Street between King Street East and Virgin Place Lanes .
Waterfront Toronto on behalf of the applicant has submitted the application to sever 42.33 m2 of the subject lands along Cherry Street (Part 1 shown on the draft reference plan). The severed land is to be conveyed to the City of Toronto as part of the new Cherry Street right-of-way. Part 1 is currently being used as part of the entrance driveway and landscaping. This application does not impact on the continued use of the site and no variances are required.
Conveyed - Part 1, Draft R-Plan
Part 1 is a strip of land 10.659 m along Cherry Street and an area of 42.33 m2. The strip of land is to be conveyed to the City of Toronto for widening the new Cherry Street right-of-way.
Retained - Part 2, Draft R-Plan
(507 King Street East)
Part 2 is parcel of land irregular in shape and an area of 2293.06 m2. No changes are proposed to the existing four-storey commercial building or to the site.

And this:

35. 525 KING ST E
File Number: B0039/09TEY Zoning I1 D3 (Waiver)
Owner(s): 1208930 ONTARIO INC
[ Ward: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
(28)
Property Address: 525 KING ST E Community:
Legal Description: PL 108 PT LTS 20 & 21 RP RD161 PT 21
THE CONSENT REQUESTED:
The subject site is located on the southwest corner of Cherry/Sumach Street and King Street East. Waterfront Toronto on behalf of the applicant has submitted the application to sever 21.2 m2 of the subject lands along Cherry Sumach Street (Part 1 shown on the draft reference plan). The severed land is be conveyed to the City of
Toronto as part of the new Cherry Street right-of-way. Part 1 is currently being used as part of the entrance driveway and landscaping. This application does not impact on the continued use of the site and no variances are required.
Conveyed – Part 1, Draft R-Plan
Part 1 is a strip of land 1.1 m wide an area 21.2 m2. This strip of land is to be conveyed to the City of Toronto for widening the new Cherry Street right-of-way.
Retained – Part 2, Draft R-Plan
(525 King Street East)
Part 2 is a parcel of land at the corner of King Street East and Cherry Street. No changes are proposed to the existing veterinary Clinic or to the site.

Waterfront Toronto is assembling property to accomodate the new streetcar lane on Cherry Street. These two from Committee of Adjustment of May 6, 2009. SEE: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/cofa_tey_panel_a_pm_6may09.pdf

34. 507 KING ST E
File Number: B0038/09TEY Zoning I1 D3 (Waiver)
Owner(s): SCOTT ALAN MARTIN
[ Ward: Toronto Centre-Rosedale (28)
Property Address: 507 KING ST E
Legal Description: PL D226 LTS 3 AND 4 PT LTS 1 AND 2
THE CONSENT REQUESTED:
The subject site is located on the west side of Cherry Street between King Street East and Virgin Place Lanes .
Waterfront Toronto on behalf of the applicant has submitted the application to sever 42.33 m2 of the subject lands along Cherry Street (Part 1 shown on the draft reference plan). The severed land is to be conveyed to the City of Toronto as part of the new Cherry Street right-of-way. Part 1 is currently being used as part of the entrance driveway and landscaping. This application does not impact on the continued use of the site and no variances are required.
Conveyed - Part 1, Draft R-Plan
Part 1 is a strip of land 10.659 m along Cherry Street and an area of 42.33 m2. The strip of land is to be conveyed to the City of Toronto for widening the new Cherry Street right-of-way.
Retained - Part 2, Draft R-Plan
(507 King Street East)
Part 2 is parcel of land irregular in shape and an area of 2293.06 m2. No changes are proposed to the existing four-storey commercial building or to the site.

And this:

35. 525 KING ST E
File Number: B0039/09TEY Zoning I1 D3 (Waiver)
Owner(s): 1208930 ONTARIO INC
[ Ward: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
(28)
Property Address: 525 KING ST E Community:
Legal Description: PL 108 PT LTS 20 & 21 RP RD161 PT 21
THE CONSENT REQUESTED:
The subject site is located on the southwest corner of Cherry/Sumach Street and King Street East. Waterfront Toronto on behalf of the applicant has submitted the application to sever 21.2 m2 of the subject lands along Cherry Sumach Street (Part 1 shown on the draft reference plan). The severed land is be conveyed to the City of
Toronto as part of the new Cherry Street right-of-way. Part 1 is currently being used as part of the entrance driveway and landscaping. This application does not impact on the continued use of the site and no variances are required.
Conveyed – Part 1, Draft R-Plan
Part 1 is a strip of land 1.1 m wide an area 21.2 m2. This strip of land is to be conveyed to the City of Toronto for widening the new Cherry Street right-of-way.
Retained – Part 2, Draft R-Plan
(525 King Street East)
Part 2 is a parcel of land at the corner of King Street East and Cherry Street. No changes are proposed to the existing veterinary Clinic or to the site.

Is the idea to have a streetcar track turn off on King Street and run underneath the Richmond off-ramp to get to Cherry?

Is the idea to have a streetcar track turn off on King Street and run underneath the Richmond off-ramp to get to Cherry?

I THINK that the idea is to widen Cherry/Sumach street south of King and these two land 'transfers' would seem to support this but I have not seen final plans, if they exist yet. The streetcar tracks are to be on the east side of Cherry Street so it may not be feasible to run them to King under the (now closed) parking lot under the off ramp. Maybe there will be more info after the public meeting mentioned a few posts up.

This from WT April Newsletter:

Waterfront Toronto in partnership with Toronto and Region Conservation, City of Toronto and Toronto Transit Commission will host a public meeting for the Lower Don Lands Municipal Infrastructure Environmental Assessment and Keating Channel Precinct Plan and the Don Mouth Naturalization and Port Lands Flood Protection Project on May 9. At this meeting, the teams including the Lower Don Lands lead designer Michael Van Valkenburgh will present the recommended Precinct Plan elements (including massing and zoning proposals) and the recommended road and transit layout and infrastructure design for Keating Channel Precinct as well as the Concept Plan for the Don Mouth Naturalization Project.

Public Forum #3

Saturday, May 9, 2009
St. Lawrence Hall, The Great Hall
157 King Street East
10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (light lunch provided)

from yesterday

IMG_9117.jpg

Back