News   Jul 11, 2024
 212     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 518     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 635     1 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

I thought Crosstown was Metrolinx? When did they change to TTC?
It started off as TTC. When Metrolinx took over, the agreement was that TTC would operate the line after completion. TTC is also involved with construction of the interchange stations at Eglinton and Eglinton West (with a huge rebuild of the existing Eglinton station, moving the platforms further north).

OCS poles going up on Waterloo Spur today:

CbiHSkFUMAAyzu5.jpg:large

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first electrified mainline railway in Ontario. (Mainline in the sense of being part of the national network, obviously it functions as a branch line). Trains can, and do, run from here through to the GTA and beyond.

OCS poles going up on Waterloo Spur today:

CbiHSkFUMAAyzu5.jpg:large

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first electrified mainline railway in Ontario. (Mainline in the sense of being part of the national network, obviously it functions as a branch line). Trains can, and do, run from here through to the GTA and beyond.

Nice catch!

Do you know how far North the poles have been mounted to the footings? All the way to the OMSF?

Nice catch!

Do you know how far North the poles have been mounted to the footings? All the way to the OMSF?

No, as of today the poles extend only to where I'm standing (just south of R&T station - location chosen to show the maximum number of poles). I'll keep up some updates if there's interest, I commute along the adjacent bike path anyway.

Last edited:
No, as of today the poles extend only to where I'm standing (location chosen to show the maximum number of poles). I'll keep up some updates if there's interest, I commute along the adjacent bike path anyway.

We'd really appreciate updates! As the first "true LRT" in Ontario, it is very exciting to see this get built!

Awesome that OCS poles are going up! Thanks for the heads up.

Meanwhile, in downtown Kitchener, the dome is complete (except for the ends) and the trackwork is still moving along on Charles, heading South.

IMG_6659 (Large).JPG

IMG_6660 (Large).JPG

IMG_6663 (Large).JPG

IMG_6670 (Large).JPG

IMG_6673 (Large).JPG

IMG_6674 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6659 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6659 (Large).JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_6660 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6660 (Large).JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_6663 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6663 (Large).JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_6670 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6670 (Large).JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_6673 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6673 (Large).JPG
    387.5 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_6674 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6674 (Large).JPG
    471.7 KB · Views: 534
Since we have a KW thread with lots of input, and a London thread with lots of input, why am I not seeing anything about Ottawa's LRT? Yeah it's far from TO, but it's still Ontario. I really am in the dark on that project, it seems pretty cool, and I'd like to know what exactly they're up to over there.

if someone starts one i'd be interested in following it

if someone starts one i'd be interested in following it

The Ottawa team is putting up weekly updates on the project website, http://confederationline.ca/. Even on the forums with Ottawa sections, like SkyscraperPage and CPTDB, there isn't much news beyond what's posted by the project team. Part of this is because there is no on-street running, and most of the work so far has been tunneling and highway widening. In the areas that are closed, they're difficult to see/get good pictures.

Ottawa is at a similar stage as ION though. The MSF is nearing completion, as vehicle assembly will take place there. The first TPSS was installed today at the MSF, and overhead and rails are in place there. Elsewhere, the tunnel from the line to the MSF is having track laid, and track has been laid at the eastern end, though no overhead/supports on the mainline yet as far as I am aware. The western end hasn't closed fully yet, so construction has yet to begin there.

Back